If we land in Anchorage around 9:30 AM, arrive in Denali/Healy by 4PM or so?

Straitlover

Guess this is the place to ask this :). Trying to decide on flights. Going in June 2018 but using June 2017 fights as a guesstimate. If we land in Anchorage around 9:30 AM on a Wednesday in early June, do you think we could be at Healy, barring a big accident or something slowing traffic, by 4 PM or so? We would be getting off the flight, collecting bags, picking up the rental car, heading to the store for some provisions (food, cooler, etc - staying in Healy 3 nights), then hitting the road. I think we will do most of our on the road sightseeing on our way back to Anchorage, so we pretty much will be driving straight to Healy except for potty breaks and a quick stop or two if we happen to see animals or whatever. I see so many different drive times listed that I'm not sure what to go with - 4 hrs, 6 hrs, 8 hrs. WE want to be well rested the next morning for Denali!

I'm asking because there is a 6AM flight (Alaska Air) out of Seattle and a 7AM flight, and I'd prefer the 7AM one. We would be overnighting in Seattle. The Seattle stop is actually a layover, not separate tickets (RDU-SEA and SEA-ANC), but it would be long enough for use to get a hotel room and break up the trip (get to SEA around 8:30 PM). We will be flying on points, and that limits us on our flight choices. If we choose a shorter layover, that would put us getting to ANC way after midnight, and I'd prefer to get to get a room in Seattle at 9PM or thereabouts rather than in Anchorage at 1:30 - 2:00 AM.

If you allow for waiting for your baggage, standing in line and picking up the rental car and stopping to pick up supplies it would be difficult to get there by 4pm. Also consider that the highway usually has some sort of construction going on during the short summer season that will cause an additional delays. Lots of slow motorhomes/RVs just add to things.

There are also some great stops along the highway for picture taking, especially of Denali if the weather is clear. Should be light well into the evening so you won't have to worry about it being too dark too soon.:)

I would not count on making it there by 4 PM with that arrival time.

I also don't think you'd make it... If you decide to risk it, I'd do your grocery stop in Wasilla, about an hour north of Anchorage. There's a Fred Meyer just off the highway that would make for a quick stop and have everything you need. If you do it in Anchorage, you'll have to detour off of the quickest route out of town.

Here's how I'm doing my math. It's 247 miles from the airport to the Denali National Park Headquarters. https://goo.gl/maps/KNb4HBt2z692 You land at 9:30. By the time you get off the plane, get down to baggage claim and grab your bags, it'll easily be 10am. Get the rental car and get loaded up; best case scenario you are leaving the airport at 10:30. Get across Anchorage and get out to Wasilla at around 11:30. Stop for groceries and now its easily noon. It's 200 miles to Denali still. I always figure my average speed is going to be 50 MPH on the highway in the summer. So if everything has gone perfect to this point and you pull off your shopping in 30 minutes in an unfamiliar store and there wasn't a line or hold up at the car rental place (my last trip was to Las Vegas and we waited at the rental counter for 45 minutes and another 30 minutes down in the garage for our car) and your flight was on time and your bags came right out (Alaska Airlines is pretty quick with their luggage) and you don't hit any other traffic slow downs; then yeah, you'd barely make it by 4pm. To the entrance to Denali that is. Healy is another 10 miles past that.

So if Murphy's Law is on a break that day, it's possible. But I'm guessing it would be closer to 5pm than 4pm before you'd get there.

Prior to leaving check the DOT web site to see where the construction delays are on the Parks Hwy.

http://511.alaska.gov/alaska511/mappingcomponent/index

You said " 4pm or so". So i'd say, not 4 but not too far after. Do you need to be somewhere by 4 ?

Even if you figure 1 1/2 hrs to get your luggage and car, you'll be on the road by 11. With no stops or delays it's a 5 hr drive from the airport, so there's your 4pm. Add an hr for a couple of stops, and add in whatever delay the DOT warns about.

For groceries I recommend stopping in Wasilla because the stores are right off the hwy exit. A Walmart Supercenter is on the west side of the freeway, and FredMeyers and Carrs (safeway) are on the east side. Make a shopping list on the plane so you can just swoop in and get what you need.

(I also have to suggest a quick stop at the Eklutna Spirit Houses and Orthodox Church, a little north of Anchorage, about 5 minutes off the hwy) http://eklutnahistoricalpark.org/

Even with delays you're not going to be so late that you'll miss dinner and be exhausted for the next morning. Enjoy !

You said " 4pm or so". So i'd say, not 4 but not too far after. Do you need to be somewhere by 4 ?

Even if you figure 1 1/2 hrs to get your luggage and car, you'll be on the road by 11. With no stops or delays it's a 5 hr drive from the airport, so there's your 4pm. Add an hr for a couple of stops, and add in whatever delay the DOT warns about.

No, nowhere to be right around 4. I was just thinking that if we could get there 4-5PM, we could get to wherever we stay, haul in the luggage, get an early dinner somewhere and relax a little before an early bedtime. Keep in mind that a 5PM arrival for us will be like 8PM at home. I had originally considered booking our rafting trip to ATV ride that evening, but I think we will be too pooped.

Maybe we will luck out when our departing flights get posted and they will have an earlier flight that will allow us to get all the way to ANC in one day. Then we could get the car then and just have to hit the road early the next morning. We will take everyone's suggestion to stop for groceries in Wasilla. Maybe we will be able to see Russia from there, LOL!

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Guess this is the place to ask this :). Trying to decide on flights. Going in June 2018 but using June 2017 fights as a guesstimate. If we land in Anchorage around 9:30 AM on a Wednesday in early June, do you think we could be at Healy, barring a big accident or something slowing traffic, by 4 PM or so? We would be getting off the flight, collecting bags, picking up the rental car, heading to the store for some provisions (food, cooler, etc - staying in Healy 3 nights), then hitting the road. I think we will do most of our on the road sightseeing on our way back to Anchorage, so we pretty much will be driving straight to Healy except for potty breaks and a quick stop or two if we happen to see animals or whatever. I see so many different drive times listed that I'm not sure what to go with - 4 hrs, 6 hrs, 8 hrs. WE want to be well rested the next morning for Denali!

I'm asking because there is a 6AM flight (Alaska Air) out of Seattle and a 7AM flight, and I'd prefer the 7AM one. We would be overnighting in Seattle. The Seattle stop is actually a layover, not separate tickets (RDU-SEA and SEA-ANC), but it would be long enough for use to get a hotel room and break up the trip (get to SEA around 8:30 PM). We will be flying on points, and that limits us on our flight choices. If we choose a shorter layover, that would put us getting to ANC way after midnight, and I'd prefer to get to get a room in Seattle at 9PM or thereabouts rather than in Anchorage at 1:30 - 2:00 AM.

AK weather is very changeable. If things are clear on the way down, do not assume that you will have the same weather conditions going back.

DON

I'll also agree you have a poor initial plan. You need to allow 6 hours for the transit. Add time for car pick up, you mention groceries? Sorry now way.

I also think your "sight seeing on the way back" plan, a very poor, naive idea, are you really willing to pass a moose grazing in a meadow seen from a pull off because, you only have time for the stop on the way back? Or a full view of Denali, enjoyed at the wonderful pull off, north of the Talkeetna Road Spur? A walk to Thunderbird Falls, in warm sunshine, to take a chance on having rain on your way back?

Time is your best friend in Alaska. :)

I'll also agree you have a poor initial plan. You need to allow 6 hours for the transit. Add time for car pick up, you mention groceries? Sorry now way.

I also think your "sight seeing on the way back" plan, a very poor, naive idea, are you really willing to pass a moose grazing in a meadow seen from a pull off because, you only have time for the stop on the way back? Or a full view of Denali, enjoyed at the wonderful pull off, north of the Talkeetna Road Spur? A walk to Thunderbird Falls, in warm sunshine, to take a chance on having rain on your way back?

Time is your best friend in Alaska. :)

When I say sightseeing on the way back, I'm talking stopping for larger amounts of time in the various towns and so forth to explore. Sure we will stop on the way up if we see wildlife, a great view, that kind of thing. We just won't dilly dally. Also, the grocery stop will not be a long one. We will just be picking up snacks, beverages and sandwich type stuff so we don't have to eat every meal out.

My "naivete" is why I am asking questions. Is that not how I learn what to do???

No, nowhere to be right around 4. I was just thinking that if we could get there 4-5PM, we could get to wherever we stay, haul in the luggage, get an early dinner somewhere and relax a little before an early bedtime. Keep in mind that a 5PM arrival for us will be like 8PM at home. I had originally considered booking our rafting trip to ATV ride that evening, but I think we will be too pooped.

Maybe we will luck out when our departing flights get posted and they will have an earlier flight that will allow us to get all the way to ANC in one day. Then we could get the car then and just have to hit the road early the next morning. We will take everyone's suggestion to stop for groceries in Wasilla. Maybe we will be able to see Russia from there, LOL!

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. It's a strange thing about Alaska...you'll get there when you get there. The sun will be high in the sky until late evening, you'll be energized by the sheer beauty of the place, and you'll find your time schedule doesn't really matter that much. Enjoy your trip!

Alaska is the land of 9 months of winter and 3 months of construction (or tourists)! Even with no construction, the highway should be full of motor homes, trucks and trailers, and other RVs, plus tourists in their rental vehicles.

To enjoy your trip and Alaska, we recommend you relax, take your time, breath in the fresh air, revel in the unique and incredible scenery, and enjoy the Great Land. Have a nice lunch in one of the many roadhouse restaurants along the way. Remember the day in Alaska in the summer is looooong!