Just off Vista: April 16 - 22, 2017

chef5674

We are just off the Vista. I am not one to normally write reviews, but I feel like there is so much negativity about this ship that I want to report back on what was a lovely vacation for us. Some background about us - we are mid 40s and child free by choice, generally cruise around once a year - always in the Caribbean, have sailed Carnival, RC, and Celebrity, always book balconies, and we cruise to relax - not be entertained 24/7.

We booked this cruise 1 week out due to a pending job change. I think we got the last balcony available - it was a fully accessible room that they must have just released to the general public. We've never sailed in April before this one - in a perfect world we like to go at times when there aren't a lot of kids, but life doesn't always work that way.

Cruise started off on the 15th, since we almost always fly in the day prior (we've only flown day of once and that was only because the day before was not an option that time). We usually fly into FLL since it's less expensive - and it's easy enough to get to Miami. I am not going to bore you with our pre-cruise details but will say if you stay in downtown Miami, go to brunch at Cafe Bastille. It was lovely and delicious!

Embarkation: This was our first time sailing since they changed the embarkation schedule. And since we booked last minute, we had 1:30pm as our check-in time. Honestly, we were totally fine with it. We aren't the type to rush to the pier. We like to sleep in and go have breakfast someplace local vs. fighting the crowds before cabins are ready. We took Lyft from the hotel to the port - arrived around 1:20. Lots of porters available, so our luggage was dropped 2 minutes after we arrived. We went in and went straight to one of the agents scanning passports and then straight to the x-ray scanners. We didn't carry on any drinks, so no stopping. We did hit a line once we got upstairs - because of the ridiculous pictures. I really wish there was a line for people who don't want to take this picture. And the fact that they had so many backdrops just clogged it worse. Anyway, once we were able to bypass this, we went upstairs and were on board in a matter of minutes. Since it was already after 1, we went straight to the cabin and our S&S cards were waiting. All in all, I would say it was about 15 minutes from the time we got dropped off until we were in our cabin. Not too shabby.

Mustering: no issues for us. We were in the Liquid Lounge. I am a huge fan of this type of mustering vs. standing on deck. And I loved that they scanned cards as we came in so they knew exactly who was holding up the process.

Dinner: We had Your Time Dining (which is what we always choose now). I love the new system of checking in on 5. It really did make the entire process easier. We had a good system down - check in, stop at the Plaza bar for dinner cocktails, and then head to 3 for dinner. Overall, all of our dinners were good for the most part. The only one I had that was not good was the lobster (cue the haters). It was rubbery and smelled fishy. We almost always skip the dining room on the first formal night since, in our opinion, it's the worst menu of the cruise. However, we weren't able to get a reservation for the steakhouse that night, so I had made us a reservation at Cucina instead. But, sea days being how they are, we were all off schedule and had a late lunch and weren't ready for dinner for our 6:30 reservation, so I cancelled it and we went to the dining room instead. Best things I ate - BBQ ribs, both flatbreads, and the lamb shank. Overall the service was wonderful in the dining room. We always were asked if we wanted drinks (waiters took the order and then bar servers brought the drinks). I felt like bar orders came pretty fast - I think having the bar in the dining room helps this a lot.

Breakfast: we did breakfast in the dining room every day, except the day we were in Grand Cayman when we slept in. I HATE breakfast buffets and my husband hates crowds, so we try hard to always avoid the lido deck. I love sea days because the dining room is open until 1pm. The first sea day I did steak and eggs - they couldn't get me a medium rare steak for some reason. The 2nd one was medium (which I was ok with) but the waiter rushed off the get a third before I could stop him. The third was even worse! However, I ate the second one and it was super tasty - even being slightly overcooked (the first was a hockey puck - I think it had to have been someone's who ordered medium well). All of our regular breakfasts were lovely and service was great. However, the last sea day the brunch was a hot mess. Our service was terrible, my husband got an omelette that was not even close to what he ordered, and we never were offered any pastries or coffee (I ultimately was able to ask for coffee). It was weird and very unlike the rest of our dining experiences. As for the lido - I will say that the one breakfast we had up there was good. Most people were off the ship at that point, so it wasn't busy. I did an omelette, so I was happy enough. And there was plenty of bacon.

Lunch: again, we try to avoid the lido. The first day we did Guy's BBQ. It was ok - not the best, but definitely not the worst. I'd like them to add some additional sides and bread options - like corn muffins or something similar. My husband had a bunch of Guy's burgers. He did a reuben one day from the deli and said it was super dry. I probably would have had the deli more often, but honestly I forgot it was there most of the time. I did pizza one afternoon - again, not the best, but also better than I've had on past cruises. I did have an amazing burrito one day and my absolute new favorite option is Fresh Creations on the serenity deck. I had the best salad the last sea day - and since it was the last day, my body was super happy it wasn't carbs. I wish it was open on non-sea days too.

More to come later about the ports and other shipboard experiences. I didn't take pictures of the menus or any dining room meals, but here are some from the steakhouse:

IMG_7740.jpg

Spinach Salad

IMG_7741.jpg

Lamb Chops

IMG_7742.jpg

Fig and Date Ice Cream

Hi chef5674!

We were on that cruise with you, and I have to admit after reading all the negative reviews I was a bit worried.

But, we had a great family vacation. I wish the weather would have cooperated more!

Something was a bit off on the last sea day brunch. We weren't offered bread either, and the service was just slow.

Everything else was awesome, there was always plenty to do on this ship.

I look forward to reading the rest of your review.

Currently on the Vista and not sure what people are complaining about.

Easiest and fastest checkin I've ever experienced with Carnival. This is our 12th with Carnival.

The ship is huge, there are some lines, but the lines move very fast. Besides, humans are creatures of habit. They see a line and get in it. Instead, walk a little further and there is no line for the same offering. (Thinking buffet here)

We are booked on the Vista out of Galveston for October 2018 also. We booked as soon as it was announced it was coming to Galveston since it is only 30 minutes from our house. We are booked in a Havana Cabana balcony.

Looking forward to the rest of your review.

We are booked on the Vista out of Galveston for October 2018 also. We booked as soon as it was announced it was coming to Galveston since it is only 30 minutes from our house. We are booked in a Havana Cabana balcony.

Looking forward to the rest of your review.

We're on the 10/21 sailing. Snagged 2 of the last Havana Cabana cabins. Really excited to experience this new concept in cruising. Shocked how fast they went, but there aren't many to go around.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Will be leaving in 11 days and so looking forward to this much needed vacation. Have been concerned about some of the reviews so have enjoyed what you have written so far and look forward to the rest of the review. Thanks!!!!