iPad stolen from stateroom on Crown Princess

cdninnyc

We were certain my husband's iPad had been taken. Were certain where we left it. Called security...........and all that implies. Upon packing to leave, by random chance alone DH found it standing on its edge in the safe (white iPad on a white wall=invisible).

Just saying...............

I hope your trip was otherwise enjoyable.

Thanks so much for sharing this important aspect ...

I've seen that many times as well (I'm sure we all have). Quite often, I've seen a door propped open and no sign of the steward anywhere - bathroom or otherwise - except for the steward's cart in the hallway.

Once the door was open while cleaning and my son (who was staying in another cabin) walked in and got some cookies.

Why don't ship put those locking mechanisms on the doors most hotels have. The kind you can keep the door open just a couple inches without allowing the door to open fully. It prevents anyone from the outside being able to come inside, keeps your personal items from being touched yet allows the steward to do his business without having to keep an eye on the door.

My immediate response was also what about the find my iPhone app. The problem being if it is not on-line, it doesn't register. It can be disabled and a notification sent if it gores on-line. Hope the OP had done this. All Apple product users should always use this App from the moment of purchase

Once the door was open while cleaning and my son (who was staying in another cabin) walked in and got some cookies.

if this wasn't your cabin, I hope your son was under the age of 10 and you used this as a teachable moment regarding entering someone else's private property and helping himself to whatever he wanted.

if this wasn't your cabin, I hope your son was under the age of 10 and you used this as a teachable moment regarding entering someone else's private property and helping himself to whatever he wanted.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

He was an adult in another cabin.

I was the "keeper of the snacks and soda." He thought we would be in the cabin to let him in but we had left it for a lounge so it could be cleaned. Could have been worse, our camera was sitting out on the desk. Taught us a lesson to not leave anything out we care about in a situation like that.

I highly doubt that the crew would steal your iPad. Is it really worth losing their job over?

At one of the most traveled passengers lunch, we sat with the HR manager for the ship.

She was describing how one waiter had had his iPhone stolen.

They were able to discover the identity of the thief -- as pictures he took were being posted to the original owner's iCloud.

The thief was another waiter. He had been home one leave, but was currently making his way back to the ship.

...where he would be fired for theft.

Where there are 1000+ crew members and 3000+ passengers, it is rather silly to assume that there is no theft.

If it were true, princess would not need to put safes in the rooms.

Further information on what Princess Security did. They conducted a full search of our stateroom to make sure we hadn't misplaced it. We were fine with them doing that. If they found it we would have been happy but they didn't. They did search the room of our room steward even though we didn't suspect him and felt bad about that. He didn't have it. They did something to the door lock that I think downloaded all card entries. But then we never heard anything further from Princess about their investigation and we were disappointed with that. We wanted to have some resolution even if they told us they didn't have enough information to resolve the case. We really didn't care that much about the cost of the iPad but we reported it because we thought Princess should know they may have a problem.

I guess that is a reasonable expectation.

If the room steward props the door open and a passenger enters the cabin and steels something I would say tat Princess is liable

"Carrier shall not be liable for any loss or theft of or damage to or disposition of cash, securities, negotiable instruments, jewelry, gold, silver or similar valuables or precious stones, works of art, electronics, computers (whether handheld, laptop or other), DVD players or digital or flash drive computer equipment, disks, memory cards or other electronic storage, handheld or similar devices, cellular telephones, cameras, video or audio tapes, CDs, binoculars, recreational equipment, dental hardware, cosmetics, eyewear (including eyeglasses, sunglasses and contact lenses), hearing aids, medications, medical equipment, wheelchairs, scooters, liquor or other alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, tobacco products or business or other documents under any circumstances, whether carried within Your luggage or otherwise. You may use the safe in Your stateroom. However, You agree use of the stateroom safe will not increase Carrier's liability as provided in this Passage Contract."

You may read the entire contract here:

http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/plc.html

Where there are 1000+ crew members and 3000+ passengers, it is rather silly to assume that there is no theft.

If it were true, princess would not need to put safes in the rooms.

Where did I say there was no theft? My point was that I disagree with those who instantly assume that a crew member is responsible for any onboard theft. With so much at stake, my first assumption would be that another passenger took it or that the person missing the item had misplaced it. I've read of quite a few instances where the "missing" item wasn't missing at all.

On a recent cruise, we only consumed half a bottle of wine at supper and requested the bottle be delivered to our stateroom to be finished later. When we returned to our stateroom, the bottle was there but our iPad that was being charged had disappeared.

We filed a report with the ship's security but got no further feedback on their investigation.

This spoiled what would otherwise had been an enjoyable cruise.

I guess the lesson learned is never to leave electronic equipment out although some items like laptops don't fit in the safe. I guess the other lesson is never let room service enter your stateroom unless you are there. Still, it is very disheartening not to be able to trust the crew.

Disconnect your on vacation or charge it at night!!!!!

Anyway as I am... self employed... I may have to charge an electronic or check my email ( that job pays for my cruise)

So am I, people who aren't self-employed sometimes don't understand that always being on call is the trade-off I make for being my own boss and for the amazing freedom that I enjoy day to day.

Where did I say there was no theft?

YOu said that you highly doubt a crew member would risk their job to steal something, and I gave you an example of crew theft.

It's pretty funny reading here. Someone will ask 'will my macbook air fit in the cabin safe'

The cheerleaders will then jump on the thread saying how nothing is every stolen and they always leave out

(insert valuable item)

They them get into a one-up contest of who leaves the most valuable thing(s) out.

Please don't be too quick to blame the staff.

Last cruise we were in a suite where room service deliver fruit and canapés regularly. My husband followed a room service member into our stateroom and the staff member placed the fruits on the table, they chatted and he left and closed the door. My husband looked around the room and realised to his dismay..... that he was in the wrong cabin:o:o:o. He very quickly left feeling very embarrassed, and we laughed about it later. He is honest, however not everyone is.

On a recent cruise, we only consumed half a bottle of wine at supper and requested the bottle be delivered to our stateroom to be finished later. When we returned to our stateroom, the bottle was there but our iPad that was being charged had disappeared.

We filed a report with the ship's security but got no further feedback on their investigation.

This spoiled what would otherwise had been an enjoyable cruise.

I guess the lesson learned is never to leave electronic equipment out although some items like laptops don't fit in the safe. I guess the other lesson is never let room service enter your stateroom unless you are there. Still, it is very disheartening not to be able to trust the crew.

On almost every cruise we've been on, when we wanted to see what a certain cabin looked like, ex: a penthouse cabin, and the door was open, and a cabin attendant present, when we asked if we could look inside, the answer was a polite NO.