Musings on a second crossing. Volendam Trans-Pacific, April 25-May 10.

shrimp56

We did this crossing in 2015 and loved it. So we're baaack. Volendam was our first dam ship in 2012, so this is our third cruise on her. We arrived in Japan on April 12, spending time in Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo. Brief highlights included cherry blossoms in Hiroshima, kushikatsu in Osaka (fried food on a stick), good friends and temples in Kyoto and Nezu shrine and Sake tastings in Tokyo as well as the other cities. We boarded in Yokohama. The terminal is an interesting building with a garden and promenade on the roof, but inside organization was hit or miss.

First things first. Volendam looks great. Of course there is a little age here and there, but she is still a lovely lady. The Explorers Lounge has had its rug returned and the chairs are sittable again. However the current Adagio duo is hit or miss. We got a nice upgrade to a Vista Suite. First time on an R class. It really is just about perfect with plenty of space to spread out our stuff. Which we seem to do within hours of boarding. Dining no has been fine. We have a 2 top next to a father-son duo and we are having a blast.

Ports have been good. In Aomori we did the Nebuta museum on our own. Colorful and exciting. We are at the shopping area next door before wandering back to the ship. Muroran was a first time port for HAL. We took the shored to The Ainu Museum near Shiraoi. The Ainu are the indigenous people of Japan and as such suffered persecution and assimilation. The museum will become a national museum in the Olympic year 2020. The people performing dance and music for us were clearly dedicated to sustaining their culture. The best shopping is in the museum shop. Prices are commensurate with quality handmade goods, but not outrageous. More than worth the visit. In Kushiro we bailed on a tour, instead opting for lunch in the Japanese restaurant in the ANA Crowne Plaza Kushiro with local Sake. Then we went to the small art museum close to our berth. We saw a very moving exhibit of art by art school students who went to war (WW2) and did not return. Many showed great promise that was not fulfilled.

Now we head into 6 sea days before Kodiak, AK. I will try to offer more detail and photos later, internet willing. We are rolling a bit and being regularly serenaded by the foghorn.

I can't tell you how happy I am that you reported on the Volendam's Explorers Lounge changes. It was so awful two years ago I can't fathom what someone was thinking to approve what they did to her. Nice to know things are more back to normal.

Happy that you had a good time on your Japan land travels, and some good times in the ports this year. That long ride back was nice, but losing all those hours so fast was a killer. Hope the crossing isn't as bumpy this time.

Regular fog horn serenades --- sounds like the an area of small fishing boats that we encountered on the Volendam after leaving Haiphong, Vietnam - every few minutes all night long. It must be very tense on the bridge, during those "serenade" times. No one gets any sleep on those nights.

Thank you for your reports and the good news that the Volendam is lovely as ever. Will be interested to learn what HAL offers during the long stretch of sea days on cruises like this. In the past they have always been very good with about three offerings a day, as I recall.

But since lately they have been cutting back on the dedicated program speakers for the shorter cruises, let's hope this is not a new trend on the longer ones too. Appreciate you taking the time to provide these reports.

Thanks for the report!!

I love transatlantic crossings so figure one day I will try a transpacific. If only they weren't so long...it may have to wait a while as it's hard to take 3 weeks off from work and one really needs at least several days in Japan pre-trip.

Seeing as you've done this before, how does it compare to a TA in terms of sea states? I hear the Atlantic is normally the more rugged ocean but this trip is so far north so...

Thanks for the responses.

Ruth so far we are having some of everything: rolling, pitching and yaw. Plus the foghorn serenade. Napping in The Crows Nest is not likely.

Boston My only Transatlantic was late May on QE2 just before the Falklands War. We pitched, rolled and yawed with Force 9 winds. We were doing service speed with no stabilizers as we were trying to beat a scheduled Southampton work action. Was a rough ride. Not my worst, but very memorable.

We did have "the motion of the ocean" in 2015. I will report further on our progress this year.

There is a lecturer on Japan. America's Test. Kitchen is up and running, but I haven't made it yet. Then the usual-- wine tastings, location lectures. We also have a lecturer on the Oceans if I am remembering rightly. Trivia is active and at a high level.

Addendum: there are lectures in Hudson Room being given by the secondary CD (can't remember what they are called) which are on theme, but pretty basic and without illustration. The one on Geisha was read from an iPad. I do expect better than that.

I expect we will sail above the Aleutians again.

Edited by shrimp56

NEWS FLASH! Well for me at least. Pinnacle on VODM has been serving part of Tamarind's menu during their Asian season. Alas right now at least, not the part I like LOL.

We are stil rocking and rolling with the foghorn serenade.

Seeing as you've done this before, how does it compare to a TA in terms of sea states? I hear the Atlantic is normally the more rugged ocean but this trip is so far north so...

To elaborate on the point Shrimp made, two years ago the seas were so rough that the captain diverted the ship to sail north of the Aleutians, rather than south of them. I'm just glad we were sailing with the current, and not against it.

I wasn't there, but do recall stories of a west-bound trans-Pac one year when a HAL musician, who had spent decades at sea, was so concerned about the seas that he grabbed his lifejacket and had it ready to go! So, things can get hairy out there.

But I have done enough trans-Atlantics on the northern route to know that they can get pretty bumpy, too.

And one trans-Pac crossing does not make a norm.

Tamarind-Pinnacle alternate night offerings sounds great. Hope this goes fleet-wide on this class of ships. Soon.

Actually there are partial Tamarind menu offerings in Pinnacle every night, on the left side of the menu. They offer the sushi and several started and mains as well as one dessert. You can mix and match across the Pinnacle and Tamarind menus. It is just for Volendam's Asia season and will end on arrival in Vancouver.

Update on fog: it disappeared yesterday morning only to reappear hovering over the Lido Pool. After all the time changes it has now settled in my brain. The motion we were experienced has lessened and never reached the level at which the "Ralph" bags appeared and stayed in 2015.

Hi Shrimp56, how are you enjoying your "rice wine"?:D Thanks for taking us along with you!

The booze police let me take all six half-bottles aboard. I don't think he wanted the hassle of checking them in. No corkage was charged. I'm not drinking them as I want to enjoy them at home.

Actually there are partial Tamarind menu offerings in Pinnacle every night, on the left side of the menu. They offer the sushi and several started and mains as well as one dessert. You can mix and match across the Pinnacle and Tamarind menus. It is just for Volendam's Asia season and will end on arrival in Vancouver.

This is great news and hope it gets such positive feedback on the evaluations that they take it fleet wide. Thanks for letting us know.

Sitting in Wajang Theatre waiting for America's Text Kitchen, taking one for the team. Subject: Chilies ��

Last night's main stage presentation was Droom, which we had enjoyed on Noordam. I can report that it "downsized" nicely to Volendam. The storyline also seemed tighter to us. The male lead was better than NODM, but the female lead was not as good.

Not much to show in pictures as most shore activities are on my camera until we get home. And unless you like horizon photos, the sea is not exciting. Although we are pitching a bit, but no "Ralph" bags sighted. Also as our third trip on VODM there is less instinct to take ship photos. Only problem I have noted is that many of the chairs in Lido Market have sprung seats and are in need of a bottom raising.

OK America's Test Kitchen is a vast improvement. It combines video presentations with a life chef host. The two aspects were blended very well. The chef is an actual chef whose only job is ATK. She was informative and personable. And I am expecting that ATK will not allow HAL to cut corners. There are no samples, but the recipe cards have a color photo as well as the recipe and a separate info sheet on Chilies.

I will, of course, praise the presence of Tamarind in my evaluation.

Note to RuthC: We are again above the Aleutians.

Edited by shrimp56

Land ho! We can see Kodiak.

Except the score is : Alaska ferry 1 ms Volendam 0

Ferry is running 2 hrs late due to loading glitches so we are cooling our azipods hovering to get in when we can. And we still have US Customs/Immigration to board and clear us all one by one. Apparently their contract does not include swimming or climbing rope ladders.

Land ho! We can see Kodiak.

Except the score is : Alaska ferry 1 ms Volendam 0

Ferry is running 2 hrs late due to loading glitches so we are cooling our azipods hovering to get in when we can. And we still have US Customs/Immigration to board and clear us all one by one. Apparently their contract does not include swimming or climbing rope ladders.

Haha, I love your sense of humor:D I'm enjoying your reports. I hope you have a decent interval of time in Kodiak, one of my very favorite Alaska ports, due to what I call its "authenticity".

Kodiak is a unique port. The people are genuine and helpful. We FINALLY docked around 9am. We went up and got in line with the eager beavers and were on the road with our friend, Scott, who loves an excuse to drive around the island by 9:40am. I know him from the now defunct site, Virtual Tourist where we were both active.

By the time we met in Kodiak 2 years ago we were good friends. And here we were again in somewhat better weather, that is we could see the snow covered mountains, but not always their tops. Highlight this time was Fossil Beach and the salmon and rice lunch packed by his wife. Scott is an excellent nature photographer and it is always a delight to watch him scan and then focus on an element of the landscape. The captain also delayed departure by an hour to help make up for or late docking.

Tomorrow is Glacier Bay. Weather is not expected to be great, but we can always hope.