Cuban Cruise Review - May 1st, 2017 - The very FIRST Norwegian sailing!!!

CTCruiser001

OP's wife here...correcting my DH since he was taking all of the pictures...at one point Hector did ask if we wanted the AC on. I said no, since we had all 4 of our windows down and there was a nice breeze.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forum

Thank you for your great review.

Which side of ship gives you a view of island from balconies? I think I saw your pic showed starboard side toward island and port side toward a ship in the next berth. My friends wanted me to change them to port side but you never know if bow first or stern first or tie ups along side. Thanks. Great info.

We were on this cruise also, thanks for the great review commentary and pictures. We also booked a private car tour for the first day, then did our own walking tour on the second day. We booked with old cars havana dot com. We paid 110 CUC and tipped 15 CUC, you are a big tipper :)

The only excursions booked onboard was the waverunner, not bad at $139 for both of us on one.

We rated it 5 stars, wonderful experience, no problems with the ship, cabin, entertainment and dining, or time onshore.

We liked the freestyle NCL so much I took advantage of the deposit for a future cruise to get the onboard credit bonus. Now I just need to figure out how to get the best value out of the credit, we are looking at the Pearl out of Seattle for Alaska cruise.

I bought a box of 25 cigars and had no problem with US Customs, they didn't inspect bags or xray them. You can bring in 200 cigars. If you bring cigarettes there is a form to fill out to pay some kind of tax.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which side of the ship has best view from 9th floor balcony when tied up in Cuba? Thanks. Port or starboard?

You can't use USD at the port shop.

No Cuba shirts on board gift shop this trip, maybe they will add them. The clearance rack had the Happy Place NCL shirts.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

Thanks

Hi Yunah, I note that you are from The Netherlands, could I ask how you managed to sort your visa/tourism card? Have you arranged this through NCL, and if so, how?

We have UK passports and think we've been incorrectly advised y NCL's visa agent to arrange a Cuba visa in the UK before the cruise, but as we'll be travelling to Cuba directly from the US I believe US rules apply, so visas sourced elsewhere will be invalid.

Hope you can help.

Interesting question. I am thinking how would a US " rule" apply to a UK passport going to a third country? I wonder if the U.K. Passport and the visa issued to it would need to match. Don't know...just thinking maybe the agent was correct. The original reviewer here showed his visa form that was given to him by NCL a few pages back...mAybe that picture would be a clue. Good luck

Hi Yunah, I note that you are from The Netherlands, could I ask how you managed to sort your visa/tourism card? Have you arranged this through NCL, and if so, how?

We have UK passports and think we've been incorrectly advised y NCL's visa agent to arrange a Cuba visa in the UK before the cruise, but as we'll be travelling to Cuba directly from the US I believe US rules apply, so visas sourced elsewhere will be invalid.

Hope you can help.

I did some looking. Take a look at this forum and the links to the lonely planet.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147271-i387-k9901309-Travel_to_Cuba_from_USA_as_a_non_US_citizen-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A couple questions

5. Also I have heard of people bring crayons to kids, paint brushes to artists stuff like that. Do you know if anyone onboard did that?

While I have not cruised to Cuba, I have been there on all-inclusives. We visited Havana on a excursion and watched a woman get swarmed as she attempted to be Lady Bountiful and hand out pencils and crayons to the children. The bag was ripped out of her hand and thankfully the guide was there to pull her out of the swarm or I suspect she might have been injured. The people of Cuba are generally very poor and for many, if they can find something to sell, it adds to their income. If you want to bring something with you, I would definitely discuss it with your tour guide.

I didn't find them stand-offish but you'll often be approached asking you to take a photo and then if you do, they want to be paid for it. I certainly don't fault them for this. While they are provided with free education, milk, and good health care, the wages are small and costs are high.

Having said all this, I would go back to Cuba again. The history of the country is very interesting. I will never forget standing in Revolution Square where Fidel Castro spoke to the people for hours. While one may not agree with his politics, it was with a feeling of wonder, as history was made there.

Thanks for sharing your review CT! We only spent a few hours in Havana and I'm seeing so much more than we did.

Great review! Looking forward to more entries. Question if you please. Were you asked to show proof of medical insurance coverage valid in Cuba when boarding the ship or going through Cuban customs? I am booked on the July 10th sailing and trying to get all my ducks in a row. :)

Great review! Looking forward to more entries. Question if you please. Were you asked to show proof of medical insurance coverage valid in Cuba when boarding the ship or going through Cuban customs? I am booked on the July 10th sailing and trying to get all my ducks in a row. :)

Dear mohawk2000

This is from the NCL Reservation contract:

HEALTH & SAFETY CONSIDERATIONS

Is medical insurance required?

All travelers to Cuba must show proof of Cuba approved medicalinsurance. This medical insurance will be included in the price ofyour cruise fare.

Does my insurance cover medical expenses while in Cuba?

The provision of health insurance, life insurance and travelinsurance related services to authorized U.S. travelers, as well asthe receipt of emergency medical services and the making ofpayments related thereto are authorized by OFAC. However,insurance providers may decide whether or not to participate andprovide such coverage in connection with Cuba. It is advisable tocheck with your insurance provider prior to departure to ensurethat you are covered while traveling in Cuba.

Does Medicare cover medical expenses while in Cuba?

It is advisable to check with your Medicare provider prior todeparture to ensure that you are covered while traveling in Cuba.

Is there additional travel insurance that I can buy throughNorwegian Cruise Line?

Yes. Norwegian Cruise Line will offer additional travel insurance toguests at an additional cost.

Thank you for this wonderful, in depth, review!! I will be taking this sailing in October and your review helped to build the excitement!! I [and I'm sure many others] really appreciate it.

I noticed you said you are Platinum in the Latitudes program so if I may ask you [or any others] if there is any elaboration on how this works for a short cruise. NCL is not my line of choice and as such I'm a lowly bronze level in Latitudes. However, the close friend I am going with on the Cuba trip sails nothing but NCL and as such is platinum. Thus, he wanted to sail NCL rather than Carnival or Royal Caribbean in part because of his status. However, it appears that his status means nothing on a 4 night cruise? I understand that there are no dinners nor laundry perks for a 4-nighter [which kind of stinks imo but alas they are not really my benefits anyway but his] however is there at least priority embarkation/disembarkation?

The NCL site states "Note: Onboard Discounts are available on all sailings. All other benefits are available on sailings 5 days or longer." which implies that nothing but the discounts are offered. However, that is almost certainly not 100% true since "Keycard Recognition" is listed as a benefit and I can't imagine that would change based on the number of nights a given sailing has...it is just printed on the cards regardless [even on our 1-night sailing a few years ago it listed me a bronze]. To further complicate things, gold members get 50% off one bag of laundry which is a discount and thus should be offered on all sailings but platinum members don't get the free bag? Seems rather odd to me. Will platinum members get the 50% off instead or do gold members have a richer benefit in this area on a 4-night cruise since "discounts" are available on all sailings"?

Any chance you could please shed some light on this. What, exactly, does platinum status get on this trip? The NCL site is a bit vague, perhaps intentionally?

I asked this on another thread but it was an older thread and I think it got lost in the shuffle. Since you have very recent experience I though I would ask you.

Thanks again!

Interesting question. I am thinking how would a US " rule" apply to a UK passport going to a third country? I wonder if the U.K. Passport and the visa issued to it would need to match. Don't know...just thinking maybe the agent was correct. The original reviewer here showed his visa form that was given to him by NCL a few pages back...mAybe that picture would be a clue. Good luck

We are going on this cruise with UK passports. We completed the required form & emailed it back also requesting that NCL arranged our visas. Within 10 minutes they had replied with an updated booking confirmation showing the $75 visa fee - very impressive

Hope you can help.

Hi there, sorry I didn't see your question before but here I am! :)

I am in fact from the Netherlands and tried to arrange for a visa through NCL. They couldn't get it organised at the time I spoke to them on the phone (about 2 months ago?) but from what I understand they are able to do that now. For a moment we contemplated going to the Cuban embassy in NYC (we're flying out to NYC for a week first, then a few days in Miami and then the cruise) but that would take up a lot of time that would be spend better elsewhere.

We had to find another solution so we contacted a few companies over here that arrange visas but because you need a different visa when you travel to Cuba from the US that proved to be difficult. I managed to find a company that could arrange them at last, they're called cubavisa.net and they are a Dutch company. From what I understand they also ship internationally so they could also help you out. The visa is valid as long as it's the PINK one. The one you need "from the rest of the world besides the US" is green. I checked back with NCL after we received the visas and send them a photo and they confirmed that they are the correct ones.

Hope this helps! :D

PS. This is the link, I looked it up for you: https://www.cubavisa.net/en/product/blank-pink-visa-for-cuba/

Edited by Yunah
typo

The visa we got was blank, we needed to fill in all the information (full name, passport number, DOB, etc) so it should obviously match. The website I got it from did offer a service where they would fill everything in for you but that costs extra and we can do that by ourselves perfectly fine. The problem here is that it doesn't matter what country you are from, or what country's passport you have, you are travelling from the US so you need a different visa then when I'd be travelling from my home country (or any other country). It's a bit of an annoying rule for us non-US citizens but if that's what it takes, that's what it takes..

Edited by Yunah
added some info

Thank you for this wonderful, in depth, review!! I will be taking this sailing in October and your review helped to build the excitement!! I [and I'm sure many others] really appreciate it.

I noticed you said you are Platinum in the Latitudes program so if I may ask you [or any others] if there is any elaboration on how this works for a short cruise. NCL is not my line of choice and as such I'm a lowly bronze level in Latitudes. However, the close friend I am going with on the Cuba trip sails nothing but NCL and as such is platinum. Thus, he wanted to sail NCL rather than Carnival or Royal Caribbean in part because of his status. However, it appears that his status means nothing on a 4 night cruise? I understand that there are no dinners nor laundry perks for a 4-nighter [which kind of stinks imo but alas they are not really my benefits anyway but his] however is there at least priority embarkation/disembarkation?

The NCL site states "Note: Onboard Discounts are available on all sailings. All other benefits are available on sailings 5 days or longer." which implies that nothing but the discounts are offered. However, that is almost certainly not 100% true since "Keycard Recognition" is listed as a benefit and I can't imagine that would change based on the number of nights a given sailing has...it is just printed on the cards regardless [even on our 1-night sailing a few years ago it listed me a bronze]. To further complicate things, gold members get 50% off one bag of laundry which is a discount and thus should be offered on all sailings but platinum members don't get the free bag? Seems rather odd to me. Will platinum members get the 50% off instead or do gold members have a richer benefit in this area on a 4-night cruise since "discounts" are available on all sailings"?

Any chance you could please shed some light on this. What, exactly, does platinum status get on this trip? The NCL site is a bit vague, perhaps intentionally?

I asked this on another thread but it was an older thread and I think it got lost in the shuffle. Since you have very recent experience I though I would ask you.

Thanks again!

I asked about platinum bene's also and get different answers. We did get the free internet time on our upcoming Cuba trip.

The dinners were a no.

If you purchase items at the port in Cuba, can you pay in US $? I have read several different answers. Do the kiosks in the ports sell Cuban items (Rum, Cigars, etc).

We are not sure how many US $'s we need to exchange for Cuban CUC's. Does anyone have any type of opinion on this?

If you purchase items at the port in Cuba, can you pay in US $? I have read several different answers. Do the kiosks in the ports sell Cuban items (Rum, Cigars, etc).

We are not sure how many US $'s we need to exchange for Cuban CUC's. Does anyone have any type of opinion on this?

Are your shore excursions through NCL? That might affect how much you exchange. I am on the 5/29th sailing, ALL of my excursions are NOT through NCL. My 2 day tours are 120CUCs each day, with 30CUC tip each day. My 515 Canadian dollars converts to 365CUC. 2 tours with tips = 300CUC. Leaves me with 65CUC for a lunch, cigars, Tshirts and trinkets. If I need more, I'll figure it out then.

If you are going to expect this kind of cultural accommodation, going to Cuba right now is probably not an appropriate choice for you. I, for one, am looking forward to visiting *before* the island is Americanized. I think it's a rather narrow world view to visit other countries and be upset that they aren't speaking OUR language.

Late but thank you for posting this :rolleyes:

Ctcruiser-thanks again for the info. Would like to know more about the stop at the private island. Did you snorkel? What beach area did you observe may be best to snorkel? Did you rent a clamshell? Any info would be great.

Late but thank you for posting this :rolleyes:

Again, I am NOT upset they do not speak English. I am VERY upset that NCL triples the cost of the show and gives you NOTHING but a bus ride and entry into the show. I am ONLY going to tour directly through Cuban companies. I want my money to go directly to the people. BUT taking into consideration the triple price, the LONG hot sweaty line to get in to the show AND not understanding a word .... it's all to consider for me.

Ctcruiser-thanks again for the info. Would like to know more about the stop at the private island. Did you snorkel? What beach area did you observe may be best to snorkel? Did you rent a clamshell? Any info would be great.

Cruise4me,

Have been to the island three times. They have a snorkel trail off the main beach with items along the trail to see. The last two times we have been over at the small cabanas. Best to take a cart over there. They have lounges and clam shells I think. This beach is very nice with not a lot of activity due to the distance from the dining hall. Snorkeling here is fun because of the rocky area to the left of the beach as you enter, with many colored fish and spiny sea urchins.

Hope this helps a little while waiting for CT's response.

Happy sailing!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums