Cuban Cruise Review - May 1st, 2017 - The very FIRST Norwegian sailing!!!

CTCruiser001

The 2nd day we took a Horse and buggy ride. Four people, $20 each for two hours. Where the Bus took us to see the pretty face of Havana, the Buggy ride took us to see the not so pretty everyday life of Havana. Here we saw depressing every day life of people who did Not seem to appreciate us looking at them as if we were at a zoo.

Our driver was very friendly and spoke English. I told him That I wanted to buy cigars, and he took us to the 'Cigar Exchange'. This was a once Stately building which had fallen into disrepair. Only a small corner of the first floor remained occupied by this Cigar shop where They showed me a box of Coheba's for $172. Cuban, and my driver said 'don't by here, I will take you to a better place to buy'.

At the next stop we were able to buy a box for $80. Once again I was being stingy with my Cuban money when he said Ill take US money just add $10 for the exchange and penalty , so I gave him $90 US and we were both happy.

Did they take both halves of your tourist card on the first entry? Did they stamp your passport (and inspect it each time you went in and out after that)?

Is the exchange rate for changing back to USD simply 1:1 (minus 3-4% fee), with no 10% penalty in that direction?

Yes they took Both halves of my Visa and Yes they stamped my Passport.

After the first inspection , all others took 30 seconds, with No lines. EZ

I changed back $10 Cuban and received $9 and change US ( sorry I didn't count the change, just put it in my pocket) Also with Smiles and No lines after the first morning.

At check in I offered my affidavits, but they didn't want them , they said, "you keep those'.

My general impression of Cuba is that its crumbling, but clean. At first you see it as a dirty city, but you will see cleaning crews sweeping up the garbage and the do a pretty good job. What they don't clean up is the crumbled concrete and stone, which is falling from every building. They will tell you that this building or that building are being renovated, but very few actually are. Everywhere you see empty buildings, some gutted down to the bare walls. You can see in the front and out the back. Buildings that are occupied have Not been painted or had major repairs in over 50 years. The city is held together with 'spit and glue'.

I saw two kinds of buildings, Old Spanish buildings, more than 100 years old. And the Art Deco Resort Hotels built by the Mafia, just before Castro came to power.

The Cars;

The late model cars you see each day you could count on one hand. These were, a new cherry red Toyota Avalon, And a few black Mercedes.

Next you have old Communist Block Country cars, very small and boxy.

Then of course they have the Old American Cars, that are kept alive with Soviet parts. Almost all are Taxis. One fellow cruiser told me his Taxi driver was a doctor, who earns $40 a month at the hospital, but can earn that in one day with his taxi. He said his car was passed down from his grand father to his father and now to him.

Some cars look beautifully restored and painted, and some look like they were painted with a brush. These old cars came with lots of chrome trim, but many have lost it places over the years and there is no way to replace that.

In general , other in mid town, there are empty roads. Not many cars, but lots of buses. Other than mid town. Not many people. On the bus ride out of town to the beach, we saw apartment building after apt building, empty. We went thru and entire housing development with 100 or more houses, once owned by rich Americans, now all but empty. The bus driver said that they are for rent, but we counted maybe 6 that were occupied. All of this guarded by manned gates and police station. More security and police than residents.

The Ship; The Sky. A mid size ship, showing a little wear but still a very nice ship. Don't expect any newer, bigger ship to call on Havana, the wont fit. The Sky was too big for the pier and at least 1/3 of her extended past the pier and out into the bay.

The all inclusive worked well. People posted here that they were afraid that waiter service would suffer because of this. NO, the opposite, waiters were plentiful and service was quick, and always with a smile. Service was good at the pool, the theater, the club and everywhere else.

Food; We found some very tasty food , and some just ok food. Just about the same as every other cruise.

Cabins were small but OK, the bed was very comfy. We saw our cabin Stewart only once on the last day. He didn't introduce himself at the start of the cruise as usual, but he did a good job, so no big deal.

Entertainment was very good. They had 3 bands, Latin band, Islands band and a top 40s band. Lots of music lots of dancing. Carnival and RCCL need to step it up here, NCL beats them hands down.

The comic was good, and he performed in the main theater, Carnival and RCCL need to take note, their small comedy clubs are always filled to capacity and have to turn people away.

They also had a piano bar, but we never stopped there, but others seemed to enjoy it.

Thanks so much for all of this wonderful information. Does anybody have any beach advice? Thinking of visiting a beach on our second day. The only beach reference so far has been which bus to take. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much for all of this wonderful information. Does anybody have any beach advice? Thinking of visiting a beach on our second day. The only beach reference so far has been which bus to take. Thanks in advance.

We did no more that look at the beach, we have been to many islands and sat on many beaches, so this trip beach time wasn't on our list.

However;

The T3 bus will take you to the beaches, but you have to take the T1 bus to get to the T3 bus. The T1 is $10 pp and the T3 is $5 pp. All fares are All day, round trip Hop on Hop off. I highly recommend taking Both routes.

On your second day a taxi would be best. We were offered a 2 hour ride for $30 many times. I sure you could set a time to be picked up or just make a deal for him to wait the several hours while your at the beach. Cubans make $20 to $40 a month, so you can make a deal for their whole day.

If I could do it over, I would Exchange More Money , I found myself worried that I would runout, you can easily change it back quick and EZ.

We did no more that look at the beach, we have been to many islands and sat on many beaches, so this trip beach time wasn't on our list.

However;

The T3 bus will take you to the beaches, but you have to take the T1 bus to get to the T3 bus. The T1 is $10 pp and the T3 is $5 pp. All fares are All day, round trip Hop on Hop off. I highly recommend taking Both routes.

On your second day a taxi would be best. We were offered a 2 hour ride for $30 many times. I sure you could set a time to be picked up or just make a deal for him to wait the several hours while your at the beach. Cubans make $20 to $40 a month, so you can make a deal for their whole day.

If I could do it over, I would Exchange More Money , I found myself worried that I would runout, you can easily change it back quick and EZ.

Thanks. I think the cab for a few hours is the way to go.

Keep in mind that going to the beach for the day is not authorized under the people-to-people general license for Americans in Cuba (unless you can show that you were there with Cubans, engaging in cultural/education exchange). So if that's the license you will be traveling with, be discreet about your plans. I think that the chances are very very small that anyone will come checking your records when you come back to the US, but the chances increase if you post questions on the internet with your photo and other identifying information attached…

Thank you to OP for the wonderful review with lots of info and photos. And thank you to JimDalva for the add'l info.

I doubt we'll ever cruise to Cuba but I have really enjoyed the info.

Interesting development…At the end of the show tonight, Tom the cruise director shared what the process would be tomorrow morning. Since a large amount of folks have shore excursions through the cruise line, those who have private excursions are seemingly penalized by needing to collect a disembarkation ticket starting at 7 am at the Outrigger Lounge. Tom said they believe that those first few with tickets will not get off until 10:30 or 11:00 am.

We asked if there were priority disembarkation opportunities for platinum members, and he said they were not going to offer that service. This surprises me since there are so few platinum and above members on board this sailing, it would be an easy service to provide. I think they are playing it safe as they aren’t quite sure what will happen tomorrow.

This is will possibly effect our private morning excursion scheduled to begin at 10 am. If we are able to get off the ship at say, 10:30 am, we will need to go through customs and then exchange currency before we can even meet up with our guide. This means our 10 am excursion start will likely not begin until as late as noon. I am hoping we will be able to get off the ship sooner than this so we can get what needs to be done first before meeting our private guide and driver. What will happen tomorrow?

Stay tuned…

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

My sister and I will be doing this cruise on the 6th of November. Loving what you are sharing. Could you pass on who you are using for your private tour?

Keep in mind that going to the beach for the day is not authorized under the people-to-people general license for Americans in Cuba (unless you can show that you were there with Cubans, engaging in cultural/education exchange). So if that's the license you will be traveling with, be discreet about your plans. I think that the chances are very very small that anyone will come checking your records when you come back to the US, but the chances increase if you post questions on the internet with your photo and other identifying information attached…

Thank you. Of course I mean stopping by the beach for a few photos while on a cultural/educational tour

The Hop on Hop off bus was a good value, and highly recommended. The T1 line stops right in front of the ship and is $10 Cuban, paid as you enter the bus. Its a 2 hour circle thru Havana, very good!

For the HOHO bus: is it identified in English as Hop On Hop Off? What do I look for to be sure of getting it?

The HOHO Bus is easy to find. Its a big Red modern double decker open air bus. On the side is written Habana Bus Tour. When you exit the terminal, it is Right there on the right of the exit. This is a major stop so the bus sits for 5 min or so.

We sat up top, front row and had a great view of the city for 2 hr. Ask for a map as you pay ($10 pp) so you can follow along. It seemed that at the end of the route we made a U turn, and returned the same route.

Also , private restaurants have popped up around town and they send people out to try to bring you in. When we tried to get into a famous bar that claims to have invented the Margarita and where Hemmingway drank, we could not, due to the over crowding and huge line to get in. Here a young women told us of a place down the side street where we could go for drinks. We followed her to a private home, nicely renovated as a Restaurant. Here over looking a busy street we (8 of us) had a wonderful 2 hr drinking and eating with music playing and a great host.

If your approached by private restaurant owner, don't be afraid to try it. O Yea, beers $2, mixed drinks $4, Appetizers $1.50.

Enjoy

That's what I thought! I wish you and all other Sky passengers much success in promoting the independence of the Cuban people from Cuban authorities and a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy.

And so I'm guessing you have no plans to visit Cuba any time soon? :D

I think I remember others saying the Hop On Hop Off bus was 5CUC. Huh ... how fast tourism changes the price of everything. I am going to follow and read what people in June report from their trips.

From what I understand, there are two HOHO routes. This longer one that is 10CUC (red line?) and another that is 5CUC (green line?). They intersect at one point, so for 15 you can do both routes and get to all of the sights.

I could be remembering this wrong... I've been processing a lot of Cuba info lately.

And so I'm guessing you have no plans to visit Cuba any time soon? :D
I have no plans, but I have nothing against traveling to Cuba per se. The language in my comment was taken directly from the US government's guidelines for what counts as acceptable activities for Americans in Cuba. I'm not sure if people understand that this is what they're swearing to when they sign the travel affidavit, and it's kind of weird that Cuba allows Americans into the country under these circumstances, except that all parties involved seem to understand that this is just one big charade. Until someone suddenly decides that it's not… Unlikely, maybe, but a lot of highly unlikely things have been happening in the last few months.

From what I understand, there are two HOHO routes. This longer one that is 10CUC (red line?) and another that is 5CUC (green line?). They intersect at one point, so for 15 you can do both routes and get to all of the sights.

I could be remembering this wrong... I've been processing a lot of Cuba info lately.

This is exactly right. The T1is $10 and the T3 is $5, they intersect at Parc Centro. The T1 is the city line on a red open air double decker bus. The T3 is a modern motor coach with A/C, and it gets on the highway and goes out to the beach.

Ok, this is completely off topic, and my apologies. But some posters here have been on tons of cruises, I wanted to ask it here. I am reading another thread and it's been stated 3 times (I think 4) that people have been found dead in their cabin. Once indicated a murder & 'perp' was person across the hall. One was an overboard that didn't survive. Now, this seems like a lot .... to me at least. Has anyone been on a cruise where someone has died .... died in any manner .... poor health (heart attack), overboard or murdered?