Helsinki Included Tour and Shuttle Bus

jiminyC_fan

For those of you that have been to Helsinki with Viking, do you think that the included tour is a must? I am seriously thinking about skipping it and doing it on our own. Currently, I have the first tour booked and then planned to get to Soumenlianna Fortress on our own. Reading up on it today, I am thinking that we could probably experience it all by ourselves. Can anyone shed some light that have been to Helsinki and did the included and Soumenlianna on their own?

Also, from reading, it looks like we dock fairly far out that will require either taking bus number 14 to Market Square etc or they say some cruise lines have their own shuttle buses. Would love to hear that Viking has there own.

Thanks everyone!

For those of you that have been to Helsinki with Viking, do you think that the included tour is a must? I am seriously thinking about skipping it and doing it on our own. Currently, I have the first tour booked and then planned to get to Soumenlianna Fortress on our own. Reading up on it today, I am thinking that we could probably experience it all by ourselves. Can anyone shed some light that have been to Helsinki and did the included and Soumenlianna on their own?

Also, from reading, it looks like we dock fairly far out that will require either taking bus number 14 to Market Square etc or they say some cruise lines have their own shuttle buses. Would love to hear that Viking has there own.

Thanks everyone!

Following

I cannot comment on the tour in Helsinki as we explored on our own. We used the shuttle and it worked great for us. We tend to DIY whenever we can, and while I cannot tell you what we missed by not taking the tour, we had a very enjoyable day dinking around on our own.

Thanks Vineyard View. Love that attitude. Makes a whole lot of sense.

So, Viking does have their own shuttle to get you to "town"?

Yes they do. I scanned and posted all Viking Daily sheets from our VH cruise last Summer. The daily sheet for Helsinki clearly states that they run a shuttle. Here's the link to my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i9q99w1v62dxirp/AACz5hossbTM03bELvQPCfX9a?dl=0

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I took the included tour last May. My original plan was to do Helsinki on our own, but after my mom hurt her knee on day 2 we had to make some adjustments. We did stop and get off at the Rock Church and the Sibelius Monument. The tour ended at Senate Square. I went on my own into the Helsinki Cathedral and Uspenski Cathedral. Then I walked down to Market Square and picked up the ferry to Suomenlinna. I walked to the other side of the island and back. There are some shops--I picked up some baked goods and licorice. I took the ferry back and had some time to look at the stalls in Market Square and then took the shuttle back to the ship. I saw the sights I had hoped to see and had a beautiful day to do it!

Glad you find the information helpful, jiminyC! Just trying to pay it forward since the forum was so helpful to me. Now I'm waiting on the reviews from this year's Into the Midnight Sun to help me prepare for my trip next year. :D

We also used the shuttle and then followed the walking tour from the Rick Steves guide book. We enjoyed our day immensely! I'm sure there are many things that we missed by not taking the official tour but we had a great time.

JiminyC_fan.....awesome. Word of warning.....be prepared for sticker shock on the pricing of food!!!

For instance, in Bergen, we each had one beer, and one burger = $110 USD! :eek: Granted we were right there in Old town in a choice location, but this was not a fancy place whatsoever.

We generally eat lunch in a square someplace while in port.....not so much after that in the northern countries! But people watching with a cold beer or glass of something....that's pretty hard to resist taking a break and doing no matter what

All the country is so beautiful, even if raining, and people could not have been nicer.

Oh my goodness. What a sticker shock. I can't even imagine paying that much. I heard it's expensive over there but THAT much? Thanks for the warning.

Alcohol in particular is very expensive but certainly food is too. Good to have a hotel or ship that has meals included.

We had a bite in a square in Tallin. It's a great little city. We enjoyed it very much.

Bergen was our entry point to the North (we began our trip in Barcelona).... We don't drink a lot ether, but each having A beer or glass of something, and then sharing a bite seemed to work fairly well throughout our Baltic ports after Bergen - and honestly that change In pattern was more than enough. We wanted to spend full days in each port and not worry about returning to the ship.....so we did, and it was great..... you will find really fun & lovely lunch options that you will have great memories of as well.

In hindsight, If memory serves - Bergen and Stavanger were two of the highest priced ports for food.

We share the same attitude, Vineyard View. We don't want to miss a thing so if it calls for staying in the town for a lunch so be it. I honestly feel that you experience a country not only through the sights but also through the food.

On another cruise line, I did take the little ferry over to Soumenlinia (sorry if I spelled that incorrectly!) From where the ship docked, I took the provided shuttle (provided by city, arranged by the cruise line, I think) to a location where I could walk about a block and pick up a tram that dropped by the harbor and ferry. I bought a ticket for the ferry and went over. It was a nice enjoyable couple hours and then I took the tram around to visit other places like the big white church there. (Sorry, I'm forgetting the details, but I'll post more later if I can find my notes.) I forget if I needed local money for the tram and ferry, but of course, if you plan to sightsee independently, you may need some. I also have pictures from Soumenlinia, so I'll post a link later. (And yes, you can just walk around there on your own. It was a nice way to spend maybe two hours, plus the short time on the water.) The only hassle I remember is going back to the port to pick up my husband at lunch time (and to eat lunch), as I ended up walking quite a bit from where the tram dropped off. However, there ARE, of course, this thing called a taxi cab, which is a help. I'm just allergic to them, I'm afraid. Also, occasionally a small ship docks right in town, which makes things easier. I remember being on one of Oceania's 1250-passenger ships and being envious when I saw one of their 688 passenger ships docked right there at the waterfront, which was a much more convenient place to be. I'm guessing Viking Ocean ships are a little too big to be able to dock there, but you never know; might be worth checking the Helsinki port website for the dock assignment.

OK, I'm attaching some of my notes for and from our day in Helsinki in 2012. Just keep in mind, please, that this was in 2012, on a different cruise line, and your experience may be different:

HELSINKI:Mon. Aug. 20, 8 – 4 Euros. We’ll be at West Harbor/Terminal (VastraTerminalen/Lansi Terminaalen). CrystalSymphony there 8-6. One hour earlierthan St. Petersburg(7 hrs. later than DC). Shuttle goes toend of Esplanade near “main shops” (think Lonnrotsgatan – see #27 on tram map).[Post-trip note: not sure if shuttle runsfor all cruises and all day, including during lunchtime.]

Helsinki Your Way & See Helsinki on Foot are free pubs available at Tourist Information kiosks. Inyourpocket’s quarterly booklets online are helpful. Tourist Info office is off Etelaesplanadi near Fish Market (see LP map). Another is across road from Market Square (Cathedral side) (good maps). There are also “Helsinki Helpers” with green bibs.

If planning to take 3T tram, make sure to have 7 euros in change or small bills for driver or ticket machine. If there’s no shuttle, find tram 9 (see p-o) & take to where I can catch 3T. It's easy to find your way, just follow street away from sea along harbor basin. The trams will use the Lasipalatsi stop on Mannerheimintie and the stop at the Museum of Natural History on Arkadiankatu.

Someone says “I recommend you be in southern tip of Suomenlinna at 9:40am to see 2 big Stockholm ships come by! (For Suom, you should take public city run water bus (HKL) from farther end of Market Place approx. in front of Presidential Palace (pale yellow building). Just walk past higher-priced ones.) JT water bus costs 6.50 euros roundtrip or 4E one way. Leaves from“Kolera-alles” (pier 6), at Kauppatori. Leaves every hour & leaves island every hour on ¼ hour, from 2 different places. There is small white lighthouse at southernmost end.” Tourist Ticket or Day Ticket for tourists, incl. Suom. Ferry, is 7E according to HKL.fi. Day ticket on tram is 2E; day ticket on ferry5E. Can buy all from ticket machines &on board. Don’t forget: 3T & 3B are same loop, opposite directions.

Senate Square & Market Square are next to each other. When Dome church is behind your back, all streets in front of you lead to Market.

Katajanokka Island has Uspenski cathedral with onion domes (built high on large rock with beautiful view of city) which is beautifully decorated with paintings and icons. Island also has Jugendstil buildings, plus on south side are 2 ferry terminals. Other side is more peaceful, with Engel-designed Foreign Ministry looking out over impressively functional icebreaker fleet. “See Helsinki on Foot” has good self-guided walk around island. On Katajanokka (little “island” with Orthodox church), Krunuhaka& Eira are neighborhoods where visitors who want to see Art Nouveau apartment buildings should take a stroll. On corner of Kruunvuorenkatu, you can see Art Nouveau chemist’s décor with fox & squirrel.

For Rock Church (free), take 3T in Töölö direction & get off at stop 9 (Sammonkatu). If walking, it'll take 10-15 minutes. There were info guides outside Rock Church to direct us to tram which was 2-3 mins away. There is electronic board within tram listing stops plus driver announced Market stop so there is no chance you will miss your stop. “We stopped by statue of Three Blacksmiths across from Stockmann Department Store (near shuttle stop 27). Don't want to miss Esplanadepark.”

“We took train to Rock Church. From there we took bus [which one? Necessary?] to Sibelius Monument in a park along water. (Can also get to it with a little walking from stop 13). We walked across park & caught T3. We caught free concert of medieval music at Lutheran Cathedral. Before taking bus back, we enjoyed walking along Esplanade.”

Assume you know about the Ports of Call section of Cruise Critic - I always get good info there.

Here are my pictures from Helsinki (go almost all the way down on the page): http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/baltic_cruise_&page=all

There's another gallery with more, but I think the above gallery is probably about all you'll need or want.

Here's port website, which should be helpful: http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/en/passengers/arrivals-and-departures

Again, please check info above to make sure it's still current, and applies to you. I'm guessing shuttle info will be same, as I imagine it is operated by the city and offered to all cruise ships (free or paid). However, I did NOT look at the Viking Daily that someone attached, which might tell you where the shuttle goes. At one point I had a picture of the building nearby, but probably wouldn't be able to find it now. Anyway, Viking may be doing something different, so just use whatever they have and I think you'll manage. Helsinki is a fairly small city as some ocean cruise cities go.....and if you find a young person, they might know a bit of English and can help you!

Enjoy! Some people didn't like Helsinki as much as other cities in the Baltic, but I found it really nice. Of course, I'm a photographer, and it doesn't take much to make me happy because there is ALWAYS something to photograph!

Edited by roothy123

• 3 weeks later...
I took the included tour last May. My original plan was to do Helsinki on our own, but after my mom hurt her knee on day 2 we had to make some adjustments. We did stop and get off at the Rock Church and the Sibelius Monument. The tour ended at Senate Square. I went on my own into the Helsinki Cathedral and Uspenski Cathedral. Then I walked down to Market Square and picked up the ferry to Suomenlinna. I walked to the other side of the island and back. There are some shops--I picked up some baked goods and licorice. I took the ferry back and had some time to look at the stalls in Market Square and then took the shuttle back to the ship. I saw the sights I had hoped to see and had a beautiful day to do it!

I would love to know what activities your mom was able to do since I have some knee issues. we are going on this trip in August starting in Bergen and I am trying to sign up for excursions. It would be nice to know which ones to totally avoid. Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated

Texastraveler555

Hi Texastraveler555! I will do my best to help you out. I think if you can get in and out of a bus you should be fine on any included tour. If you do any fjord tours (like going to Pulpit Rock in Stavanger) you'll need to be able to get on and off the ferry boat. I don't recall any issues with inclines or hills in St. Petersburg (private tour), Gdansk (Stutthof camp trip), Lubeck/Wismar (optional trip instead of Berlin), Copenhagen (fishing village optional trip/Tivoli), and Aalborg. In Stavanger you do have to go up to see the historic wood houses. My trip included Flam, which I believe is a different port this year. My mom ended up using a cane for the duration of the trip and she did get better each day. There were times when we stopped on a bus tour where she didn't get off. Since we had a private tour (just the 2 of us) in St. Petersburg, we had a bit more flexibility. She had been there before, so didn't get out of the car for some stops plus our guide got us a wheelchair in the Russian museum and at the Hermitage. I hope this helps a little!

Hi Texastraveler555! I will do my best to help you out. I think if you can get in and out of a bus you should be fine on any included tour. If you do any fjord tours (like going to Pulpit Rock in Stavanger) you'll need to be able to get on and off the ferry boat. I don't recall any issues with inclines or hills in St. Petersburg (private tour), Gdansk (Stutthof camp trip), Lubeck/Wismar (optional trip instead of Berlin), Copenhagen (fishing village optional trip/Tivoli), and Aalborg. In Stavanger you do have to go up to see the historic wood houses. My trip included Flam, which I believe is a different port this year. My mom ended up using a cane for the duration of the trip and she did get better each day. There were times when we stopped on a bus tour where she didn't get off. Since we had a private tour (just the 2 of us) in St. Petersburg, we had a bit more flexibility. She had been there before, so didn't get out of the car for some stops plus our guide got us a wheelchair in the Russian museum and at the Hermitage. I hope this helps a little!

Thanks for the info. This helps. Did you remember any feed back about another option in Berlin

Bad Doberan Minster & the Molli Railway. we are trying to pick we have also been to Russia and Germany before