Kids & their electronics - did you bring or leave at home?

AMbliss

Yeah my kids bring their phones. They put them on airplane mode and only use them for games when we are on an airplane flying in, waiting to get on the ship, taking a long bus ride to an excursion, etc. They don't use them at any other time except to take their own vacation photos. We have plenty of fun and family time so letting them play games from time to time when we have to sit for extended periods of time is no big deal to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Ships don't have TV's or extensive entertainment in the stateroom"

I don't think you have cruised in a while.

I have had a tv in my cabin on every Carnival Cruise I have been on. Don't know what cabin you have been booking. And if I remember right, there were atleast 2 kids channels (Cartoon network being one).

Find a middle ground you are comfortable with and go with that. You will see kids with and kids without tablets and phones. Talk to the kids and agree ahead of time on how long they can use the devices and when. If you set the rules up ahead of time, it will make it easier in the moment to remind them of the agreement. Bear in mind that there are lines and waiting (check in). MDR dinners can be long. If they are early morning risers and you want to sleep in.

Ask them when they might like to use their devices and work from there.

Have a good time!

A favor from another cruiser to ask is if anyone does choose to let their children use electronics in the MDR, please bring headphones. Last cruise I had to listen to Spongebob every night during dinner in the MDR because they would let their child watch it at max volume on their tablet throughout dinner. I did my best to tune it out, but it definitely took away from my experience. I didn't complain because choosing between a child being fussy and crying vs listening to Spongebob, I'll take the latter. But just be kind to the people around and bring those headphones.

A favor from another cruiser to ask is if anyone does choose to let their children use electronics in the MDR, please bring headphones. Last cruise I had to listen to Spongebob every night during dinner in the MDR because they would let their child watch it at max volume on their tablet throughout dinner. I did my best to tune it out, but it definitely took away from my experience. I didn't complain because choosing between a child being fussy and crying vs listening to Spongebob, I'll take the latter. But just be kind to the people around and bring those headphones.

This is where I would have complained. One kid, or should I say, the parents were disturbing several other who want to enjoy their cruise as well. There are other dining options for noisy children other than MDR

Maybe the parents should take their children up to Lido.

Just another example of parents not parenting their kids, letting electronics do their job. Why do kids need electronics to be kept entertained while we get ready, fly in an airplane, eat supper, I could go on and on. I work in the education field and it's astonishing the difference in kids, behaviours, academics, attention spans etc over the last 10 years. We are raising electronic addicted kids. Electronics have their place but far to often they are used to keep kids busy and quiet for their parents benefit.

It is completely a personal preference as to whether you allow electronics or not. Some families do... some don't.

I have a 14 year old and an 11 year old- they both have cell phones that they will be allowed to bring and use to play on, watch movies, etc. since we will have a 6 hour plane ride to Seattle from the east coast. On ship, DS will use his phone to check in with us via the HUB app. DD doesn't need it since if she's not with us, she'll be in camp. At night while we are winding down or if they are waiting for their turn to shower and get dressed - they can play games on their phones (but no internet access so they can only play games they've downloaded).

So our rule will be- they can use it to play games but no going on social media and not at the dinner table. This may not work for some families... but it works for us. (but my kids are old enough to sit through MDR dinner- obviously some younger kids can not so by all means, please bring something to entertain them). However; the one tip that another poster mentioned that I wish all parents would listen to, is to please bring the headphones. :D

Find a middle ground you are comfortable with and go with that. You will see kids with and kids without tablets and phones. Talk to the kids and agree ahead of time on how long they can use the devices and when. If you set the rules up ahead of time, it will make it easier in the moment to remind them of the agreement. Bear in mind that there are lines and waiting (check in). MDR dinners can be long. If they are early morning risers and you want to sleep in.

Ask them when they might like to use their devices and work from there.

Have a good time!

Thank you for your helpful comments! :D

Just another example of parents not parenting their kids, letting electronics do their job. Why do kids need electronics to be kept entertained while we get ready, fly in an airplane, eat supper, I could go on and on. I work in the education field and it's astonishing the difference in kids, behaviours, academics, attention spans etc over the last 10 years. We are raising electronic addicted kids. Electronics have their place but far to often they are used to keep kids busy and quiet for their parents benefit.

Appreciate your taking the time to comment; although it was unhelpful toward my OP which is more directed at those parents that DO allow their children a little tech time.

It is completely a personal preference as to whether you allow electronics or not. Some families do... some don't.

I have a 14 year old and an 11 year old- they both have cell phones that they will be allowed to bring and use to play on, watch movies, etc. since we will have a 6 hour plane ride to Seattle from the east coast. On ship, DS will use his phone to check in with us via the HUB app. DD doesn't need it since if she's not with us, she'll be in camp. At night while we are winding down or if they are waiting for their turn to shower and get dressed - they can play games on their phones (but no internet access so they can only play games they've downloaded).

So our rule will be- they can use it to play games but no going on social media and not at the dinner table. This may not work for some families... but it works for us. (but my kids are old enough to sit through MDR dinner- obviously some younger kids can not so by all means, please bring something to entertain them). However; the one tip that another poster mentioned that I wish all parents would listen to, is to please bring the headphones. :D

Thank you, super helpful - and this is likely what we'd do! Our kids will be nearly 13, 11 and 8. We don't allow them to take devices into restaurants as it is, so that rule will stick on board.

Ya. Already told my kids I'll do the 5 bucks a day thing but nothing else. They don't need snapchat. We are on vacation!
Just FYI, if I'm not mistaken, they will probably have limited use of snapchat with the $5/day Social plan. They won't be able to post pictures or use the voice calling feature, but could probably still use it for messaging.

My kids will bring their phone and tablet. I was wondering... With the $5 a day program can they use Google play store? Just says social networks.
I'm not an Android user so I'm not sure what the Google Play store has to offer, but I'm guessing they won't have access. They certainly won't be able to download or stream anything.

When our son was very young, we took toys & books to keep him busy and quiet. Not only for our benefit, but for the benefit of the public around us. That's similar to how electronic devices are used today. A majority of people don't want to listen to a loud child in settings where they shouldn't be loud. Babies are given rattles to pacify them. Today, kids are given smartphones & tablets. I don't disagree with the fact that there are some serious psychological affects that these devices are having on children, but as with so many other things, moderation is key. It's been proven that these devices can be addictive, but it's not only kids. Adults have become addicted as well. Your accusation that this is an example of parents not parenting properly is a blanket statement that doesn't apply to everyone or every situation. If someone's child in the MDR was disturbing other diners and the parent recognized that and gave them a smartphone to quiet them down out of respect for others, I'd say they were parenting just fine.

Why do kids need electronics to be kept entertained while we get ready, fly in an airplane, eat supper, I could go on and on.

I can tell you this, there is a big difference between a 45-60 minute dinner with a toddler and a 75-90 minute dinner with the same toddler. If that last 1/3rd of the dinner means putting on headphones and Finding Nemo, so be it. There's a vast difference between gluing them to the electronics all the time, and using them sparingly and in certain situations where it benefits not only the child but those in the immediate area. Or in a setting where crayons and paper can become messy (do you have a toddler? No one knows how they make such a mess so fast and with so little to start with), it's a better choice to put a coloring app on the tablet because it keeps everything neat and clean.

I hope this helps to answer your question. Others may have different reasons or uses.

moderation is key. It's been proven that these devices can be addictive, but it's not only kids. Adults have become addicted as well. Your accusation that this is an example of parents not parenting properly is a blanket statement that doesn't apply to everyone or every situation. If someone's child in the MDR was disturbing other diners and the parent recognized that and gave them a smartphone to quiet them down out of respect for others, I'd say they were parenting just fine.

Very strong agreement.

With the exception of the digital camera, we are all going tech free on our cruise. My boys are 16 and 10. I just can't wait to have time with everyone unplugged!

Thank you, super helpful - and this is likely what we'd do! Our kids will be nearly 13, 11 and 8. We don't allow them to take devices into restaurants as it is, so that rule will stick on board.

I would consider an exception for digital cameras during the cruise. There have been some good pictures to be taken in the master dining room during mealtime, plus you can share the pictures taken that day along with the stories.

Here is something from 22 Do's and Don'ts for Your First Day Onboard a Cruise Ship:

DON'T forget to check in at the kids club and sign up your little ones for the onboard camp activities. There's often an introductory session for kids and parents to meet the counselors and get acquainted with the facilities. Better to sign up on day one, even if you're not sure your kids will want to go; there's no requirement to attend.
And 10 Tips for Cruising With Teens:
Establishing Rules, Privileges and Family Time

8. Stay in touch. Teens relish the onboard freedom of a cruise, as they can glide in and out of organized activities and hang out with new friends on teens-only sun decks and in adult-free clubs. Before boarding, agree on ways to communicate so you still know their general whereabouts. Use a cell phone that works at sea for calls, or sign up for an onboard app that allows you to text. Have your teens check in at the pool or your cabin at certain times, and establish an evening curfew, as well as consequences if they're not in on time.

9. Lay down the law. Explain the rules on alcohol and drugs, and talk to teens about sex. Think of a cruise as a weeklong party for your teens. Be aware that whatever you worry about your teens doing at a party on land can happen on a cruise.

10. Carve out some family time. Teens have so much fun on cruises that, unless you preplan things to do together, you won't see much of your almost-adults. Dinners together provide a great space for discussing that day's adventures and planning tomorrow's fun. Let your teen select some of the shore explorations, picking ones he's excited about so you can make some memories that will last long after high school graduation.

With the exception of the digital camera, we are all going tech free on our cruise. My boys are 16 and 10. I just can't wait to have time with everyone unplugged!

I love that!

Love this. But how will you entertain your kids while you need them to be quiet and behave? ;);p

Yes my 6 year old and my 2 year Old both have tablets, but I don't buy the internet so my 6 year-old only uses it to play games in the room or at dinner. My 2 year old uses his tablet to watch videos, but since I don't buy the internet he won't need it on the cruise.

People are so judgmental, every child is different. Some can sit for over an hour for dinner and some (like mine) cannot. Don't put others down for doing what works for them. I'm sure if my daughter wasn't on her tablet and was noisy/disruptive people wouldn't enjoy that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums