Kids & their electronics - did you bring or leave at home?

AMbliss

Our kids each have iPads for school that they play on. I would love to have them leave them at home but my son was nearly in tears when I suggested it. We have restrictions on how long they can be on their devices, so it's not like they'd be holed up in the room all day; but I'm curious if other families with school-aged kids allow them to play on their devices on the ship? (assuming using apps that don't require data). Are the in-room safes large enough to fit iPads? (Locking them from kids, not necessarily housekeeping! LOL)

We let our kids bring them to use in the rooms while they're waiting for us to get ready or if they wake up earlier than us. They definitely helped pass the time. Otherwise I'd constantly be hearing "are you ready yet???" in the whiniest voice ever.

Not sure about the safe being big enough. We usually just have passcodes on them that we have to unlock.

My kids are ages 18-27, the youngest was 11 when we started cruising. They take cell phones and use them as cameras. We do not buy the internet package so no one uses them to call or text.

There is a no technology rule when we cruise together. We are there to spend time together. I have been called mean and other not so polite names (by other people, not the kids), but, that is the way we do it. To each their own I say. Do what works for your family.

(We have a no phone rule at holidays too)

I will say that on our most recent muster

a man had probably a one year old in a stroller WITH a tablet hooked in the handle for the baby :eek:.

If I had an inside cabin only, or long airport delays, I would probably bring something electronic for kids but only one hour per day.

I would not take little ones to MDR, way too long. That's just my opinion. Life is too short not to enjoy family.

Tablets and phones will take over thier lives soon enough :(

Any electronics at a dinner table is just rude. Giving a 5 year old to make them act like a well behaved child is not doing that kid any favors.

If the kids are paying for the vacation let them bring anything they wish. If your paying its your rules. I would say no electronics at all. They may even look up and see something cool.

This not only goes for kids, 2 years ago, driving from MN to Florida my friend who is 56 at the time had her head buried in her cell phone all the time. HOW RUDE! I asked her why she had to be on her phone so much, and she said she had stuff to do. Well then stay home and do it, your on vacation to see things, experience things not to see when your neighbor mowed his lawn last. I just don't understand how people can not even look up these days, and you ask me why I hate cell phones?

• Like 1

We let our kids bring them to use in the rooms while they're waiting for us to get ready or if they wake up earlier than us. They definitely helped pass the time. Otherwise I'd constantly be hearing "are you ready yet???" in the whiniest voice ever.

Not sure about the safe being big enough. We usually just have passcodes on them that we have to unlock.

I never thought of it this way....good point...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I allow them for the downtime periods we have but during the day they are FORCED to leave the room ... the oldest can bring her cell phone with her but I am okay with that as long as she is out of the room

I never thought of it this way....good point...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

First cruise with them THIS is what I heard every day I was trying to get ready especially on the elegant night! We never paid for the internet though. It was just games. Next cruise I will let them download some Netflix movies too since they (Netflix) added the offline feature.

Our 5 year old takes his Nintendo DS and my 13 year old will have his cell phone. He'll have access to The Hub app to see what's going on, contact us if needed, and kill time if he goes to the MDR with us and has to wait forever. Not to mention on the plane ride.

So what happened to the concept of family vacation? 1 week without talking to friends? The idea of vacation is to get away. Ships don't have TV's or extensive entertainment in the stateroom for a reason. It's a resort out in the ocean, designed get you out, socialize, and enjoy the sunshine.

The good news is as many of these High School, and now Middle School kids that can't put down their phone, are learning to transition into the adult world of college and the work life. Sometimes with humorous results and some hard learning curves.

I remember eating with a young person once that refused to get off their phone. I quietly got up, and disappeared. An hour later, they wanted to know where I disappeared to. I just said, that I figured you wouldn't notice since no one taught you how to communicate without the phone with your business associates.

They got the hint, but it was funny.

We are going with our three kids. The older two have cell phones and the youngest has a tablet. They have already been told that on the ship they will not be on their electronics with the exception of using the cameras on the phone. I am not purchasing any data packages for them and have already put roaming restrictions to avoid charges. The only reason my son gets to bring the tablet is because we are driving to the port and it is at least a 7-hour drive if we do not stop.

While we didn't purchase the internet for my daughter we did allow her to play games on the iPad during down time in the room. She was 8 at the time. We didn't allow her to take it out of the room though and it did fit in the safe while we were out. Mostly we were busy with activities, swimming, camp, restaurants and shows but sometimes we would want some quiet time without the crowds so we'd escape to the room and maybe order a snack from room service and just chill for an hour or so. Also, the weather was pretty cold for a day and a half since we left out of Baltimore. When we cruise again I'll let her bring her cell phone and probably be more lenient about bringing it out of the room so she can take pictures but I wouldn't let her take it somewhere like the camp.

Our boys are 9, 9, and 7. We have always brought their iPads. Helps if they wake up early or while getting ready.

My boys LOVE their iPads/games...but when they are on a cruise...they could care less about their iPads. Too much fun to be had!

We also have a rule that the boys have to read with me everyday....they complain..but my sons love reading on the balcony with me in the mornings!

We are going with our three kids. The older two have cell phones and the youngest has a tablet. They have already been told that on the ship they will not be on their electronics with the exception of using the cameras on the phone. I am not purchasing any data packages for them and have already put roaming restrictions to avoid charges. The only reason my son gets to bring the tablet is because we are driving to the port and it is at least a 7-hour drive if we do not stop.

Yep, we have a 18+ hour drive so my kids will have their devices in the car, and we can't leave them in the car for a week, so they'll have them on board with us :/. Good call on roaming restrictions. I've found even in the middle of the night when the kids are in bed, small bits of data are being used.

Our boys are 9, 9, and 7. We have always brought their iPads. Helps if they wake up early or while getting ready.

My boys LOVE their iPads/games...but when they are on a cruise...they could care less about their iPads. Too much fun to be had!

We also have a rule that the boys have to read with me everyday....they complain..but my sons love reading on the balcony with me in the mornings!

This is encouraging to hear your age of kids is having too much fun to care about their ipads!

Hell no!!! My 14 year old does not have a cell phone (no he doesn't, why would he need it, I drop him off and pick him up from every single place he goes, he doesn't drive yet, I tell him what time I will pick him up and he is there, no issue) and we leave the laptop at home when we are on a cruise. End of story, you see DH and I pay for this FAMILY cruise and we have a very short list of requirements, spend quality family time together, spend some quality mom and dad time together later in the evening and all of us have a blast! DS has never had a lack of things to do and has never even asked to bring the laptop or his DS3 as he does not miss them at all on our cruise vacations.

I do not get the people that give the kids (especially the younger kids) the option to make the rules on what happens on a family vacation where electronics are concerned. DH and I are the parents, the payers, the drivers to the port, the people that worked for the vacation etc....no issues here! :confused:

***He is allowed to bring a good book, a real book!

I'm in the "allow everyone to enjoy their vacation on their terms" - including the kids (within reason). So I don't understand the "no technology" rules imposed on children.

Devil's advocate here..... define "electronics". Because a digital camera is a "electronics" also. :) It would be interesting to get their photo perspective.

It would be nice and easy to just say "the electronics live in the cabin", but the fact is that there will be "dead times" during the vacation, especially during the embarkation/disembarkation portions. That's when you are grateful that the kids are kept busy. Also, recognize that your perspective on life changes when you get older. When I was a kid, I used to hate the "Sunday drives". Now that I'm 47 (and single :( ), I've done several road trips, partially because I know where I am going, and I get to choose what I listen to.

So, how involved are the kids in this vacation planning process? Have they done any research on the ports that you are going to? That would be helpful.... especially when they go back to school and do the "what I did during the summer" report.

The room safes are pretty good size. I would almost bet you could fit a 8 x 11 folder in there without having to bend it.

Now, as to whether they should bring them along, that is completed up to you. Don't worry about what others have posted here, judging you as to wheather you are a good parent or not.

I must admit, you posted "but I'm curious if other families with school-aged kids allow them to play on their devices on the ship? (assuming using apps that don't require data), so you kind of opened the door.

But it is still up to you and you sound like you have a pretty good grasp on what is proper or not.

It's completely up to you.