Tipping at Brooklyn?

Hawaii136

These responses are amazing, I find that if you are courteous, most baggage handlers respond in kind. I have sailed from NYC and flown from the same many times in 40 years. I usually get to Red Hook by a hired car; when we pull up I secure a porter, hand him $5 per bag and thank him. Often he will tell me to make sure I have my documents- and my baggage arrives very promptly. Once arriving from a long trip with much luggage a porter took my bags , signaled me to follow him and he whisked me through Immigration past long lines. I don’t know why he did it but I was damned grateful and I tipped accordingly with thanks. He thanked me very much.

I am glad that there are men who are prepared to wallop often heavy luggage in extreme weather. It’s hard and physically demanding and work. These guys are not serfs, they are hard working.

Hear! Hear!

Just to mention that, although their numbers a slight, women are also stevedores, and they wouldn't have the job if they didn't do as well as the men.

Never encountered any women but God Bless’em for their work!

I've seen a few. Trust me, they're just like your mother. In other words they could smack your face so hard, it will take a week to find it. So behave!

Although I am not in the least against tipping, I am surprised that some people give $5 or $10 per case. We travel with just two modest cases and we always give the porters in Red Hook or Manhattan $5 for the two. It's not as if they actually carry the luggage as they did in decades past. They put them on a cart along with many other pieces and push it to the conveyor belts.

I usually have the tip ready when we get out of the car, but one time whilst I was settling with the driver the porter pulled out a wad of cash and started fanning it - hint, hint. I felt like saying: "Just give me a few seconds and you will get your tip" :). When arriving it is possible the porter will spend more time and effort, as others have described, and he or she certainly deserves a generous tip.