The Grand Hawaiian Adventure. A trip report with Patters, Menus, Elvis, and ...

h20skibum

Mark, thank you again for all of your posts. I have a question: Since you started out with assigned table in dining room for 5:30 seating and then switched to Anytime Dining later in the cruise, which did you prefer. I have done 14 cruises that were on Princess, NCL, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival but Princess is by far my favorite. With the exception of 2 Carnival cruises, I have always done anytime dining. However, for our cruise to Hawaii in December, I chose 5:30 seating. My cruising buddies have always been my best friend and my mom. My husband was convinced he would hate cruising. He finally agreed to take a cruise to Alaska a year ago. When we got home he told me to book the cruise to Hawaii. So I decided on regular seated dining so he could experience that. I have been having second thoughts though about switching to Anytime Dining. Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

We have always had traditional early seating on our cruises. We enjoy meeting people from different areas, and we would typically request a large table for 8 or 10. However, given our experiences on the last few cruises, this didn't work out. It didn't matter the cruise line (Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean), it seemed they screwed up or requests on table size.

I don't know if it was the luck of the draw, but many of the table mates didn't show, or were there infrequently. It may not be a problem if you travel with family or friends, but we usually travel alone. When that happened on this cruise, that is what prompted our switch.

Since we went when we wanted to the line without reservations, and indicated we would share a table, we had virtually no wait. We did enjoy this, because the table was always full, and we met different people every night. You may not have an opportunity to get to know them as well as being seated with the same people every night, but we enjoyed the conversation which was new every night.

We enjoyed that format so much, that we have selected that option on the two cruises we have booked now. Those are both on Royal Caribbean, so we will see how those work out.

If you are traveling with others you know, you may be perfectly fine with traditional dining. On the occasion we travel with family or friends, it didn't matter much. Plus, we always get involved in coordinating or participating in activities that provide an opportunity to meet people, and we often meet up with them to do other things.

Everyone has different likes and expectations, but at this point, we prefer it.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

wow, loved loved loved reading this, I normally hate reading, and end up after 5 mins scanning posts and then giving up on page 3, but I have come back to this night after night reading till 1 am for 4 nights to get through it, thoroughly enjoyed your photos and reviews, we are taking this cruise for Xmas and New Year, traveling from Detroit to San Fran, staying in San Fran for 3 days before embarking, we are Brits living in Canada, and in our early 50's and you seem to do the same as us, we also have fitbits and gym every morning on sea days, and spend the afternoons exploring stuff to do, we like to do our own thing in ports, we may do the odd excursion, but I love getting off and finding trails to walk on, we just did a south american cruise and nearly all ports were like that, was fantastic, we have decided (after reading your thread) to get an Uber from port to pearl harbour ($20) then the bus to diamond head, I have checked to see if they are running on Xmas Eve which is the day we are there, thanks again for the tips, we shall probably do baby beach also..xx

wow, loved loved loved reading this, I normally hate reading, and end up after 5 mins scanning posts and then giving up on page 3, but I have come back to this night after night reading till 1 am for 4 nights to get through it, thoroughly enjoyed your photos and reviews, we are taking this cruise for Xmas and New Year, traveling from Detroit to San Fran, staying in San Fran for 3 days before embarking, we are Brits living in Canada, and in our early 50's and you seem to do the same as us, we also have fitbits and gym every morning on sea days, and spend the afternoons exploring stuff to do, we like to do our own thing in ports, we may do the odd excursion, but I love getting off and finding trails to walk on, we just did a south american cruise and nearly all ports were like that, was fantastic, we have decided (after reading your thread) to get an Uber from port to pearl harbour ($20) then the bus to diamond head, I have checked to see if they are running on Xmas Eve which is the day we are there, thanks again for the tips, we shall probably do baby beach also..xx

I am glad you enjoyed the report. If you are on the Christmas cruise, you are probably on with Gimer (Stan). He put together the Meet and greet for our cruise (did a fantastic job by the way), and he should be your go to guy for the Hawaiian cruise. He has done it several times.

If you are flying from Detroit, you must live near in Windsor, or London, or close by. If you like trail hiking, you may want to research the North Country Trail (NCT). It is a 4,600 mile trail that runs through New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and North Dakota. In Michigan, it runs north-south over toward the western side. I am not sure what that section has, but we have been spending time hiking different sections of it here in Pennsylvania. The good thing about where we live, we can get to different sections within an hour or two drive.

We have been seeking out sections with waterfalls that we can do a day hike of 8 to 10 miles. It has been a lot of fun, and makes for a good workout.

Photos from our last section of the NCT.

d23d6fbd8d93507356d5b594577a0aaf.jpg

530d43c51561341272d670be831249ae.jpg

But enough digressing. If you are reading on a mobile device like an iPhone or iPad, tapping the photo on the cruise critic app will open it so you can enlarge it. Using a browser on the mobile device will enlarge it using the two finger spread motion. But to answer your question about movies, they did offer different ones each night. If you missed one, it would be on the TV the next day.

Enjoy planning your cruise.

I really enjoyed the review. Maybe I missed it on the patters, was there a Pub day? I love the fish & chips.

Yes, they did have it in the Crown Grille on the last sea day before we disembarked. They may have had it earlier in the cruise, but the one on the last sea day is the one we went to.

It was listed in one of the boxes in the patter, so you can check that one.

You can order more than one dish. We got an extra one to share at the table so we could try different things.

I am glad you enjoyed the report. If you are on the Christmas cruise, you are probably on with Gimer (Stan). He put together the Meet and greet for our cruise (did a fantastic job by the way), and he should be your go to guy for the Hawaiian cruise. He has done it several times.

If you are flying from Detroit, you must live near in Windsor, or London, or close by. If you like trail hiking, you may want to research the North Country Trail (NCT). It is a 4,600 mile trail that runs through New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and North Dakota. In Michigan, it runs north-south over toward the western side. I am not sure what that section has, but we have been spending time hiking different sections of it here in Pennsylvania. The good thing about where we live, we can get to different sections within an hour or two drive.

We have been seeking out sections with waterfalls that we can do a day hike of 8 to 10 miles. It has been a lot of fun, and makes for a good workout.

Photos from our last section of the NCT.

d23d6fbd8d93507356d5b594577a0aaf.jpg

530d43c51561341272d670be831249ae.jpg

But enough digressing. If you are reading on a mobile device like an iPhone or iPad, tapping the photo on the cruise critic app will open it so you can enlarge it. Using a browser on the mobile device will enlarge it using the two finger spread motion. But to answer your question about movies, they did offer different ones each night. If you missed one, it would be on the TV the next day.

Enjoy planning your cruise.

asssome thank u for the info, yes we live about 10 k's south of Windsor, so all trails are quite a drive, but now fall is on its way we may try some.....and yes Gimer is on our cruise, I have noticed he posts on our roll call, but we wont be doing the meet and greet for a few reason, but mainly because its just not what we enjoy doing, we are just happy walking around and bumping into people for a chat, and also happy just doing our thing to be honest....thanks again!!

Thanks for a great cruise journal! We have sailed R/T to HI 4 times and also over and beyond on a couple of T/Ps and they are one of my favorite cruises to do! You gave everyone such great tips! I have been going to Kimo's for years and it is one of my favorite places of all time...and for the same reasons! LuAnn

Mark,

Yes, I'm out here. Really enjoying your thread. Great pictures. We spend lots of time on the island of Kauai, so looking forward to your visit. We're doing a TA in October, Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale, and you are getting our juices flowing for the cruise. Princess of course. We love the sea days.

Thanks again.

Mark G.

Been reading along and only halfway through - thank you it is a terrific report.

So most everything I am doing here is being done on the iPad and uploaded with the Cruise Critic app.

I have been looking for the Cruise Critic app on the CC website, and cannot find it.

Did you do the report after you got back - you said that the internet was not good.

Weill be going in October and I loved your review...it has kept me focusing on my anticipated trip...instead of focusing on giving my coworkers a well earned throttling ...I even experienced the let down towards the end of your review that I experience towards the end of a cruise...but I just reminded my self that this is not an ending...I am just one day closer to my next cruise...I will continue sailing through life one day at a time...thank you...and I intend to share your review with anyone who will listen...and even a few who won't listen...aloha

Been reading along and only halfway through - thank you it is a terrific report.

I have been looking for the Cruise Critic app on the CC website, and cannot find it.

Did you do the report after you got back - you said that the internet was not good.

Thanks for reading. The Cruise Critic Forums App is available in the App Store at Apple.

I did the report after I got home. I usually make enough notes, take enough photos, etc , so that I can do a report. It tends to keep the experience going a little longer.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

thank you - that's good to know. You have assuaged some of my worries, and confirmed others. I was worried that they would not let me on the tender because I use a small mobility scooter - I can get on the tender by myself, but I can't walk more than about 100 yards at a time and I can't stand inline.

thank you - that's good to know. You have assuaged some of my worries, and confirmed others. I was worried that they would not let me on the tender because I use a small mobility scooter - I can get on the tender by myself, but I can't walk more than about 100 yards at a time and I can't stand inline.

If you have any concerns about using the tenders, you should contact Princess before the cruise, or passenger services after you board. They would be the best ones to advise, based on what you are able to do.

It looks like your cruise is getting close.

I have contacted Princess but they are not reassuring. They said I had to present myself to the Excursion Desk 24 hours in advance to get permission to go on an excursion. And the Princess employees are not allowed to lift more than 50 lbs. Some of the excursions I would have liked to take (such as the Road to Hana) specifically say that wheelchairs or scooters or even walkers are not allowed.

I find that the office people are much less helpful than the actual employees in cases like this.

Your description of what you did in the tender port was great information. I wanted to take the friend that is with me to a luau, but they all start at 5:30 and either the ship leaves port before they would start (or would finish) or she has an excursion that does not finish until 5:30 (Honolulu) and she would be late to the luau. So it was good to know that there were places on shore there that we could get something interesting to eat. I'm also hoping I can get to go to the mission.

I was interested in the price of the drinks package. I like cranberry juice, but I don't want to pay bar prices for it that Carnival charges. Celebrity, HAL, NCL or Amawaterways do not charge me extra for a simple glass of juice but Carnival and Princess will. When I know that is the case, I bring my own bottle of juice, but I was thinking that maybe I'd get a drinks package instead. It's still way too expensive since I do not drink coffee or soft drinks or any kind of alcohol. All I want is one glass of cranberry juice a day

I was very interested in the description of the slot pull which I have never done. My friend who is going with me on this cruise was interested but I did not know how it worked. I emailed your description to her and she says it sounds like fun. I think she is concerned that there won't be enough to do on the sea days.

You can get cranberry juice for breakfast at both the mdr and the horizon buffet...i always have cranberry juice for breakfast ...if you buy juice at the bar...if it is available will cost you about $3 a glass...non alcoholic drink package is $9 a day and you will be charged everyday of the cruise...also the package does not include room service...and you can bring your own juice on board ...so it is up to you to figure out the convenience and costs for you

You can get cranberry juice for breakfast at both the mdr and the horizon buffet...i always have cranberry juice for breakfast ...if you buy juice at the bar...if it is available will cost you about $3 a glass...non alcoholic drink package is $9 a day and you will be charged everyday of the cruise...also the package does not include room service...and you can bring your own juice on board ...so it is up to you to figure out the convenience and costs for you

That's good to know. I will check when I get on board. When I asked, I was told that it was not available except at bar prices. If they actually have it on hand, I can drink it at breakfast. It has happened that a cruise ship will have it on the menu but they don't actually have any.

On the Grand it is not on the breakfast menu or what the servers bring to your table...but when I ask for it...it comes...though if they are busy I sometimes have a few minutes wait... most of the bars carry cranberry juice...or will send someone for it...though they will charge the same amount as a soda

Thanks to TheOldGuy for answering grandmaR’s question about cranberry juice, and thanks for reading along. With the Hawaii sailings for the fall fast approaching, you are probably making last minute preparations now.

Thanks to everyone else who has followed along and for their kind words. If I haven't acknowledged your comments, or answered a question, I will try to catch up now.

LuAnn, now you have my mouth watering for some Hula Pie. Too bad I can't find some here.

Kauai Kid, you are fortunate that you get to spend lots of time on Kauai. It is such a beautiful island.

Notmyweight, you will be enjoying Hawaii in a few days now. Only four days till you board in Vancouver. Enjoy your cruise.

Makin’n’Bacon, 2019 is a long way off to anticipate a cruise. I don't think I ever booked one that far in advance.

Becca1960, thanks for following. Glad you could find something useful.

We have our next two cruises scheduled in the Caribbean (January and March), so we are wondering what itinerary changes we may see after this brutal hurricane season. We feel so bad for all of those impacted by it. Recovery will take a long time.

Good to see the Wine Packages being advertised.

IECalCruiser,

I see that you are planning the Transpacific cruise to Australia next year. We were thinking of this cruise. What are you planning on doing when you arrive if I may ask?. I want to go to Australia and New Zealand but unsure how to get there and see the most economically.

Thanks,

Pat