The Grand Hawaiian Adventure. A trip report with Patters, Menus, Elvis, and ...

h20skibum

Thanks for sharing, we booked the Celebrity Eclipse B2B from Vancouver for Sept / Oct 2019. Your review has given us an idea of what we will see on the islands we will visit for the first time.

That back to back sounds really nice. With the overnights at some of the ports, and visiting them twice, it will give you time to explore the islands.

Enjoy, and thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a great video...I’ve highly recommended this to many Hawaii cruisers

Thank you! I am certainly not a filmmaker, but sharing some sights and a little crew fun seemed interesting to me. There are a ton of videos that already show the Grand Princess room by room.

Thanks for your review, I just found it by accident today. I am doing a similar cruise on another cruise line but the information you shared about the islands will be very helpful. I appreciate the time you spent sharing your experiences!!

Lisa

Well heck, since this thread still has life, I might as well offer this link to a video I made from this very same cruise as I was on it too. Enjoy!

Thank you! Loving the thread and the video. I'll be on the Grand in just 29 days and in Hawaii in about 395 :eek: days.

Thanks to everyone who posted and brought this thread back to life. I guess there is still a lot of interest in Hawaii, in spite of the incoming nukes ( Depending on who is pushing what button)

Good to hear from you again Dan & Jackie, and Mark & Tricia. Hope you are still enjoying cruises. Mark, thanks for linking your video. You gave me a little inspiration to try a video.

I hadn’t done much with video for years, since the old VHS video days. My first camcorder was one of those big monsters you held on your shoulder, with a cord that snaked down to a shoulder bag unit that held the VHS recorder/player. Back then, I built a distribution box out of old parts so I could dub music from a stereo system. I had to hand letter titles and credits to put together a movie.

Technology has certainly made things much easier. After watching your video, I saw you didn’t have any shots sailing back under the Golden Gate Bridge. So I had to go and set up a YouTube account, and experiment with putting together a short video I shot as we returned from our cruise. I never thought I would be adding new photos or video 8 months after we got back from this cruise, but here is my, somewhat over the top video.

Maybe I will have to do some of these video clips if I continue to write about cruising. Enjoy.

Thanks to everyone who posted and brought this thread back to life. I guess there is still a lot of interest in Hawaii, in spite of the incoming nukes ( Depending on who is pushing what button)

Good to hear from you again Dan & Jackie, and Mark & Tricia. Hope you are still enjoying cruises. Mark, thanks for linking your video. You gave me a little inspiration to try a video.

I hadn’t done much with video for years, since the old VHS video days. My first camcorder was one of those big monsters you held on your shoulder, with a cord that snaked down to a shoulder bag unit that held the VHS recorder/player. Back then, I built a distribution box out of old parts so I could dub music from a stereo system. I had to hand letter titles and credits to put together a movie.

Technology has certainly made things much easier. After watching your video, I saw you didn’t have any shots sailing back under the Golden Gate Bridge. So I had to go and set up a YouTube account, and experiment with putting together a short video I shot as we returned from our cruise. I never thought I would be adding new photos or video 8 months after we got back from this cruise, but here is my, somewhat over the top video.

Maybe I will have to do some of these video clips if I continue to write about cruising. Enjoy.

Thanks. Makes me want to wake up early enough to catch that. :)

Thank you. Enjoyed your cruise along with you. We are doing the Star Princess from Los Angeles in November and can't wait. Let us know where you are going next...we want to go with you again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey Gold Mine Gal,

It's early 2018 so you are back from your Nov 2017 trip aboard Star Princess. We are booked on her for Nov 2018. Any insight you can give for that time of year on that ship is appreciated. It will be our first time in Hawaii. Thank you in advance.

Mary Ann (VirginiaTraveler)

Technology has certainly made things much easier. After watching your video, I saw you didn’t have any shots sailing back under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Lol, thanks and yes I did miss coming back under the gate. I had ran down to the IC to get some coffee and by the time I ran back up, we were already in the bay. Most of the random clips I stitched together for that video were done on my iphone and a gopro strapped to the rail of my balcony. No big expensive production, so I know you can work your magic into something pretty spectacular. Mark

I was trying to think of a good lead in for this trip report, so that it would captivate the reader with all things great about Hawaii.

Aloha h20skibum! what a wonderfully informative and entertaining thread! I was definitely captivated!

We have sailed to Hawaii several times out of LA; love Hawaii and love the cruises. We are sailing again in February with folks that some are 1st time cruisers, some 1st time with Princess. Your report is so comprehensive that, now that I've found it, is the best single resource to refer them to, so they can get an idea of what to expect. I have already given them alot of information but I did not have patters, drink menus, etc. available to scan. Thanks to the other posters that contributed as well.

In one of the posts, you mentioned that you are retired. Did you retire from a career in journalism? It would seem so.

Mahalo!

I was trying to think of a good lead in for this trip report, so that it would captivate the reader with all things great about Hawaii.

Aloha h20skibum! what a wonderfully informative and entertaining thread! I was definitely captivated!

We have sailed to Hawaii several times out of LA; love Hawaii and love the cruises. We are sailing again in February with folks that some are 1st time cruisers, some 1st time with Princess. Your report is so comprehensive that, now that I've found it, is the best single resource to refer them to, so they can get an idea of what to expect. I have already given them alot of information but I did not have patters, drink menus, etc. available to scan. Thanks to the other posters that contributed as well.

In one of the posts, you mentioned that you are retired. Did you retire from a career in journalism? It would seem so.

Mahalo!

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. It is always nice to get feedback on a review, so I know someone is reading. I am glad you found something useful.

No, I did not have a career in journalism. I am lucky if I can put two coherent sentences together. I just write and put commas where they look good, and periods when I need to take a breath. I hope no one is grading my reports.

I just try to tell about our experiences in words and pictures, and if someone is entertained, or gets something from it, then that is great. I had always put together travelogues from our trips, but these were done in photo albums. I started doing these types of reviews/reports in 2014 with a review of the Panama Canal trip on the Coral Princess. It is a good way to relive the trip after it is over.

Some of the information may be getting a little dated, since this trip ended in May, 2017, but many things likely remain very similar. I was surprised that this report has had over 67,500 views as of today.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

You are too humble!

When we were married by Capt. Nash aboard the Golden Princess in Feb. 2009, I tried to do a comprehensive review. Mostly of the Wedding part, in the hopes that it would help other folks. Like you said, it was nice to relive the cruise. But it was nowhere near as entertaining. I wouldn't be surprised if you are offered a gig from Princess!

It was also nice of you to post how you did it: camera, scanning, apps, etc. DH was very interested in those parts.

Happy sailing! Mahalo!

• 8 months later...

We Great news.  All the photos came back.  

Thanks.

Now I have to find and check my Panama Canal one, since it was a little older.  If my signature still shows a link to that one, and if someone could post on that one if the photos are showing, it would be appreciated.  I have not got my signature to show yet, and search is not working right for me.

Edited by h20skibum

On 10/21/2018 at 5:12 PM, wrongwaywatson said:

Hi, all!  I smiled when I saw this thread still active!  Great cruise and wonderful memories!

Good to hear from you again. We are still out and enjoying cruising.  We did a couple cruises since the Hawaii one, and I did reviews of those too. 

Five weeks from yesterday, and we board Harmony of the Seas. Anxious to try out those slides.  We have been on RCI’s other big ships, so we are use to them.  We have two others booked after Harmony, with the longest a 14 day in Europe.  

Trying to talk Susan into doing Alaska, so we can get back on Princess.  That will likely have to wait until 2020 now. 

Hope to to run into you on a future cruise somewhere. 

• Thanks 1