The Grand Hawaiian Adventure. A trip report with Patters, Menus, Elvis, and ...

h20skibum

I also really enjoyed the review of your Hawaiian cruise.  We want to do one within the next 5 years was going to do it next year but debating now, our minds thinking should we  try out different cruise lines before we jump in and take the cruise with a line we have never done to Hawaii!!  We have done 1 cruise with Carnival and 29 with RCI ....so I also liked this review that you did on  compare the lines.  We also had debated to fly into Hawaii and take cruise or one we want to try I think is from California.  We was to Oahu and flew in 34 years ago for 2 weeks.  So we want to do a cruise of the other islands...we just didn't ever look to that long air flight.  I also noticed you fly out of Pittsburgh we do also!  :-)    Thanks again now just waiting to see when Princess will bring out fall of 2020!

To get a little feel for what Princess is like, you may want to try a Celebrity M class, or S class ship. With that many cruises on Royal, you would probably have Elite status on Celebrity. D, D+, and Pin all get matched at Elite.

Celebrity is changing their pricing structure, starting on April 4th, so you may find a price without perks, if that type interests you.

Now that Southwest flies to Hawaii, you may find some good fares. When they first started a couple weeks ago, you could get a one way from the west coast for $49. Not likely they will have fares like that again.

One thing about a Hawaii cruise from the west coast, is you have to love sea days.

Enjoy your planning.

Past Reviews post 184

• 4 months later...
On 4/2/2019 at 6:56 PM, h20skibum said:

To get a little feel for what Princess is like, you may want to try a Celebrity M class, or S class ship. With that many cruises on Royal, you would probably have Elite status on Celebrity. D, D+, and Pin all get matched at Elite.

Celebrity is changing their pricing structure, starting on April 4th, so you may find a price without perks, if that type interests you.

Now that Southwest flies to Hawaii, you may find some good fares. When they first started a couple weeks ago, you could get a one way from the west coast for $49. Not likely they will have fares like that again.

One thing about a Hawaii cruise from the west coast, is you have to love sea days.

Enjoy your planning.

Past Reviews post 184

Thanks for letting me know about this thread of yours.

I found it extremely helpful.

Regards Graham & Pauline.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks for letting me know about this thread of yours.

I found it extremely helpful.

Regards Graham & Pauline.

You are quite welcome.  I hope you found something useful in the long read.

Of course, some things have changed at Princess since we sailed the Grand two years ago, but many things would remain the same.  Too bad Stan is not on your sailing.  He runs the best Meet and Mingles, and he knows all there is to know about the Grand.

Enjoy your trip.

2 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

You are quite welcome.  I hope you found something useful in the long read.

Of course, some things have changed at Princess since we sailed the Grand two years ago, but many things would remain the same.  Too bad Stan is not on your sailing.  He runs the best Meet and Mingles, and he knows all there is to know about the Grand.

Enjoy your trip.

Thank You.

Yes it was very useful indeed and your photos were excellent too.

We have not sailed on Princess for 10 years as we do mainly RCCL but fortunately still have our previous Princess Elite loyalty status.

We have booked Pearl Harbour tour and Hollywood tour where films were made directly with Princess.

The other ports at the moment we are just going to do independently.

Stan sounds like a great guy and we would have went to the meet and mingle if he was on board as he seems to organise everything extremely well.

Our TA has booked private transfers for us except ship to airport which is a shared transfer.

Our Flight with British Airways to London Heathrow is not till evening so I will have to sort something out after getting off in SF.

Pre cruise we have 2 nights at 

The Marker Hotel in San Francisco.

• 5 months later...
On 1/13/2020 at 3:53 PM, CA Dave said:

Thank you h20skibum for a thorough and well done trip report. We are on the 1/27 sailing out of SF.

You are welcome. This report is probably getting a little dated after 3 years. Enjoy your trip

We are looking at a land trip to Hawaii as a stopping off point for an Australia and New Zealand Cruise for winter 21-22. 

On 1/13/2020 at 3:53 PM, CA Dave said:

Anyone taking the 15 day to Hawaii will find a lot of information here. Thank you h20skibum for a thorough and well done trip report. We are on the 1/27 sailing out of SF.

dz

Just finished reading this wonderful review.  We too are on the 1/27 sailing and h20skibum just capped off my excitement.  This is our 1st time to Hawaii, our 1st time to California and our 1st B2B cruise.

Can.   Not.   Wait 

On 5/12/2017 at 5:56 PM, Kenosha Cruiser said:

Mark, thanks for taking the time to do this review of your 15 day Hawaiian cruise round trip from San Francisco. It's a cruise my wife and I would like to do in the future. We have been to Hawaii 5 times over the years, 4 land vacations and one cruise around the Islands on Norwegian Cruise line. We just came back from a week long stay in Honolulu on May 2nd. The picture you posted of the Aloha Tower Marketplace has been converted to a college (Pacific University). We stopped there and were surprised to see all the stores gone. The Gordon Biersch Brewpub and Hooters Restaurant were the only remaining tenants. The rest is now all university facilities. We did take the elevator to the top of the Aloha Tower. The views were outstanding and it's free. The tower I believe was built in 1926. I remember seeing several people with their Princess bags near Waikiki Beach on main street, who knows, it could of been you.

Looking forward to reading and following along on your review. Hawaii is one of our favorite destinations.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

Now see this!  I just left that cruise in November SF to Hawaii and back.  It was truly grand on Grand Princess.  Jack

1a_HAWAII WITH KIDS.pdf