Oasis of the sea......texting on board/Royal IQ?

We are sailing on Oasis of the Sea in April 2018. Can anyone tell me if they have the Royal IQ on that boat or if they will by that time. If not, how do you stay in contact with your group while onboard?

Thanks in advance!

Royal IQ is not on Oasis now, and the cruise line has not publicly released any deployment schedule.

You can all purchase an internet package and use internet based texting (iMessage, WhatsApp) or WiFi calling based texting.

I'm very non-techy but I want the 6 of us to be able to communicate thru texting.....so I buy an internet package? So how much pp is this? and we are on the Oasis next year also. TIA :)

I'm very non-techy but I want the 6 of us to be able to communicate thru texting.....so I buy an internet package? So how much pp is this? and we are on the Oasis next year also. TIA :)

Here are the onboard costs:

http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/content/uploads/Voom.pdf

For texting purposes, you would be good with the lower level (Surf only) package. You could get one 5-device package and one 1-device package for $22/day. If you have any C&A discounts, you could apply them to this package.

Also check your Cruise Planner for any deals.

One thing I liked about Voom as although it is "per device", it just means that only one device can be logged on at a time. 3 of us ended up splitting a 1 device plan with very few issues. It helped stay in touch with friends and family back home but unfortunately wouldn't help keep contact with others on board.

Hopefully there will be an app coming to Oasis soon!

The internet package won't allow you to "text" unless everyone has an internet based messaging app such as iMessage or Facebook messenger, etc. Most people "text" over their carrier's cellular network, not over wifi. On the ship, that would be over the ship's cellular at Sea, not voom. Just make sure everyone has a messaging app you all can use. The standard texting app on your phone is likely not it as it probably is cellular based.

And to be low tech and totally free, there are post-it notes, voicemail on cabin phones and magnetic boards to post on. You can all meet for breakfast and go over general plans for the day. Plan to meet for lunch with the understanding that if someone is having fun elsewhere they will definitely meet for dinner. No need to be joined at the hip with everyone.

The internet package won't allow you to "text" unless everyone has an internet based messaging app such as iMessage or Facebook messenger, etc. Most people "text" over their carrier's cellular network, not over wifi. On the ship, that would be over the ship's cellular at Sea, not voom. Just make sure everyone has a messaging app you all can use. The standard texting app on your phone is likely not it as it probably is cellular based.

If your phone and your carrier have wifi calling, then all calls and texts can go over wifi.

The internet package won't allow you to "text" unless everyone has an internet based messaging app such as iMessage or Facebook messenger, etc. Most people "text" over their carrier's cellular network, not over wifi.

The main point of WiFi calling is for phone functions such as calls and texts to go over wifi but make it look to the user as if it is going over cellular. So if everyone has wifi calling enabled there's no need for any app.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All 5 of us got the VOOM. We all put our phones in airplane mode and left them there the entire week. We used the VOOM wifi and never had a problem. My girls were able to use all of their social media, netflix as well as text their friends. We were all able to communicate through texting with each other. We have ATT as our cell provider and I was not charged a dime extra.

Ok perhaps I am odd but ...

We tend to switch off and lock away our phones on embarkation. Even when travelling in group of 6, I have never found the need to be in constant touch. In fact, quite often I don't want to be contacted or found.

We arrange meeting points, leave messages in the cabins and voicemail messages if in different cabins.

As I said, perhaps I am a little odd.

Here are the onboard costs:

http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/content/uploads/Voom.pdf

For texting purposes, you would be good with the lower level (Surf only) package. You could get one 5-device package and one 1-device package for $22/day. If you have any C&A discounts, you could apply them to this package.

Also check your Cruise Planner for any deals.

Texting via a VOOM package would be pretty expensive way to simply keep in touch. Hopefully, either Royal iQ or its successor will be rolled out by that time on Oasis.

Holy Cow! That's like $450 for the 6 of us to be able to text! Oh, please RC, give me something else! Anyone know how much Royal iQ is? I will pray they offer it by July/2018.

If your phone and your carrier have wifi calling, then all calls and texts can go over wifi.

The main point of WiFi calling is for phone functions such as calls and texts to go over wifi but make it look to the user as if it is going over cellular. So if everyone has wifi calling enabled there's no need for any app.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you both for explaining that. I vaguely remember my daughter talking about this. lol

Holy Cow! That's like $450 for the 6 of us to be able to text! Oh, please RC, give me something else! Anyone know how much Royal iQ is? I will pray they offer it by July/2018.

Royal IQ is $7.95 per phone per cruise on Quantum class plus Harmony.

If you don't text much, you can pay your cell company by the text for $0.50 per text.

We tend to switch off and lock away our phones on embarkation. Even when travelling in group of 6, I have never found the need to be in constant touch. In fact, quite often I don't want to be contacted or found.

We arrange meeting points, leave messages in the cabins and voicemail messages if in different cabins.

Not at all. I feel the same way. Never felt the need to be in constant touch with anyone. Of course, I've been cruising for about 25 years when it never occurred to anyone to drink bottled water or use a cell phone. Trust me, you'll manage.

And to be low tech and totally free, there are post-it notes, voicemail on cabin phones and magnetic boards to post on. You can all meet for breakfast and go over general plans for the day. Plan to meet for lunch with the understanding that if someone is having fun elsewhere they will definitely meet for dinner. No need to be joined at the hip with everyone.

We tried some of that for our last cruise. Long story short, major fail. Plans constantly change for the young adults/teens. It drove me absolutely nuts.

That's great that that works for you. My kids, not so much. Well, they are young adults now mostly. Actually it was things like, "hey mom, we are going to find some place to lay in the sun, come find us when you're ready. see ya later"....then I'd have to explore the "Explorer" to find where they found chairs. lol I don't want to think of doing that on a ship like Oasis. Yikes! And it did involve getting out of bed one time at 2am.....you don't need to hear that story! ;p Let's just say, texting would have been very convenient.

Royal IQ is $7.95 per phone per cruise on Quantum class plus Harmony.

If you don't text much, you can pay your cell company by the text for $0.50 per text.

$7.95 for the week? Wow, that would be fantastic!! $48 is a lot better. :D

Not at all. I feel the same way. Never felt the need to be in constant touch with anyone. Of course, I've been cruising for about 25 years when it never occurred to anyone to drink bottled water or use a cell phone. Trust me, you'll manage.

Again, that's great that that works for you. And I don't feel the need to be in constant touch either. A couple texts a day is constant touch? Different strokes people.....it's ok if you don't want to use one and it's ok if my fam would prefer to. It's all okaaaaaaaaaaaay... :cool:

... Again, that's great that that works for you. And I don't feel the need to be in constant touch either. A couple texts a day is constant touch? Different strokes people.....it's ok if you don't want to use one and it's ok if my fam would prefer to. It's all okkkkkkkkkkk... :cool:

Then your choice is clear, pay $0.50 per text. Just make sure that if you have children, they understand the cost.

Then your choice is clear, pay $0.50 per text. Just make sure that if you have children, they understand the cost.

Thank you, Bob. I just wouldn't want to have to constantly keep track of the amount, if ya know what I mean? One base price would be easier so then I wouldn't have to even think about it. I'm going to hope for the Royal iQ. I've got some time till the cruise. :)

One thing I liked about Voom as although it is "per device", it just means that only one device can be logged on at a time. 3 of us ended up splitting a 1 device plan with very few issues. It helped stay in touch with friends and family back home but unfortunately wouldn't help keep contact with others on board.

Hopefully there will be an app coming to Oasis soon!

Thanks for that information i was concerned it was locked to the ip of the device but its just a single login at a time

has anybody had any issues using multiple devices but only log into 1

Thanks for that information i was concerned it was locked to the ip of the device but its just a single login at a time

has anybody had any issues using multiple devices but only log into 1

We always use multiple devices with one logged in at a time.

• 9 months later...

Just checked they still don't offer it and we will be on in July as well. I don't think they will be expanding the Royal IQ if they haven't done so yet. I have used it on other lines and although not perfect is is such a convenient way to at least let other people know where you are or where to meet. Oh well.

Just checked they still don't offer it and we will be on in July as well. I don't think they will be expanding the Royal IQ if they haven't done so yet.

Not sure why you would have thought that they would - they stopped development on the app 18+ months ago. The new RCI app is the way forward - though it doesn't have texting capability yet, it might by July and it is offered on Oasis.