RC Official App retired

A little bit, sure ... go back and read what I wrote originally. I didn't say that they are the exact same experience but rather that they are so close that the cost of maintaining multiple platforms is questionable.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I find your postings interesting and I am sure you have more experience than I do with Apps and HTML.

Some of your posts I find hard to understand with the use of Acronyms. I am clueless regarding the meaning like MDE and HTML5.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I realized later that most folks wouldn't know what MDE means... That's Disney's My Disney Experience. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/my-disney-experience/ While enjoying the resort, you can book restaurant and attraction reservations, check wait times, enable and disable charging privileges on RFID bands, etc., in real time.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Great, make it a web browser centric app - that way I can use my Blackberry for it.

And that's another good reason.

I'm just going off of what you stated in your posts... nothing more.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

And that's another good reason.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I have never found a web site that works as well as the app counter part. Maybe mde does it, but I have no plans to go there. There is a big difference between wdw and a cruise ship- on a ship I rarely have internet, as I will not pay their fees to get it. At wdw, the web browser may work since you have full internet, but I doubt it is as easy to use as an app.

I highly prefer an app to a web site, and doubt they would be able do the same experience in ship with a web browser,. But I'm the end, I just want a good mobile experience, whether that is an app or a browser.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

I have never found a web site that works as well as the app counter part.

That's mostly poor programming. HTML5 is a very rich development target platform. Disney's MDE is very close and for something the browser even works better (though to be fair that's because of the ability to extend the browser with plugins and such).

There is a big difference between wdw and a cruise ship- on a ship I rarely have internet, as I will not pay their fees to get it.
How do you propose an app get its data if you don't have internet service? On some Cruise Lines access to on board Intranet servers is available without cost.

I highly prefer an app to a web site

Of course but that wasn't the issue I raised. The issue​ raised as whether or not that preference was worth in dollars the extra expense of maintaining separate apps for so many platforms, iPhone Android BlackBerry etc.

Edited by bUU

Of course but that wasn't the issue I raised. The issue​ raised as whether or not that preference was worth in dollars the extra expense of maintaining separate apps for so many platforms, iPhone Android BlackBerry etc.

As someone who is involved in development, I agree with what you're saying. There are very few things you can only do in an app, and most everything you can do in an app you can now do in HTML 5, which runs on any browser, anywhere, on any phone.

For the end user (the cruiser), there's no difference, because it all looks and acts the same.

One thing RCCL has that we don't are metrics... they may be seeing that fewer people are using the app today and more are just using the phone browser, which makes the decision to drop the app a no-brainer. I know I downloaded the app a year ago but I've never opened it because I haven't needed to.

If the product is more information based that just has simple HDMI5 content then a mobile browser experience is perfectly fine. Deck plans and adding reservation can all be done simply by using a smartphone browser.

However, if the experience calls for more interactive content, it may require more hardware control (such as vibration or notification alerts, using the camera or NFC antenna, etc), or go beyond a browsers limitations to accomplish specific tasks (such as instant messaging or call features). This is why a separate phone based application is necessary, simply because of the limitation of a browser based platform may not deliver the same experience or control.

And which of those are required in the last version of the RCL app? None, as far as I know.

You are absolutely right. There are simple apps that pretty much are glorified web pages. But these are not highly developed applications. And you seem to be comparing a lot to web browsers but seem to be forgetting that a smartphone browser has its limitations. Many limitations, as a matter of fact. A smartphone browser cannot use many of the phone's hardware features like dedicated apps can do, hence the reason for standalone applications.

Conversely the extra effort required to develop and maintain multiple apps, when browser access is more universal, means that there is often functionality in the browser version that is not in the dedicated app. Why spend double the time doing functionality for 2 apps, plus a browser, when you can just focus on the browser and get the main features in apps, which is what many do.

There is a new app "Royal IQ" that works on the Harmony and other new ships. No Internet access is required and works only on the ship. We used it extensively last week on the Harmony. You create a signon and all of your reservations are available on your tablet or phone! It also has the Cruise Compass and texting capabilities while onboard with other app users on board. Even if you do not used a tablet or phone aboard, there are numerous tablet kiosks around the Harmony that you simply wave your sea pass or your WOW bracelet and your personal schedule is available within seconds. This was the most impressive improvement I encountered on the Harmony.

I for one did not like the old RCL app, much of what I needed/wanted to get to was either not available or not easy to find.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is a new app "Royal IQ" that works on the Harmony and other new ships. No Internet access is required and works only on the ship. We used it extensively last week on the Harmony. You create a signon and all of your reservations are available on your tablet or phone! It also has the Cruise Compass and texting capabilities while onboard with other app users on board. Even if you do not used a tablet or phone aboard, there are numerous tablet kiosks around the Harmony that you simply wave your sea pass or your WOW bracelet and your personal schedule is available within seconds. This was the most impressive improvement I encountered on the Harmony.

I for one did not like the old RCL app, much of what I needed/wanted to get to was either not available or not easy to find.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Royal IQ App is only applicable to just a few ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's mostly poor programming. HTML5 is a very rich development target platform. Disney's MDE is very close and for something the browser even works better (though to be fair that's because of the ability to extend the browser with plugins and such).

How do you propose an app get its data if you don't have internet service? On some Cruise Lines access to on board Intranet servers is available without cost.

It may be that a web site works just as well, I have just never experienced one. I would love to see the features of the Royal IQ rolled out in some form fleet wide as it seems much better, and whether that is a web site or an app does not matter to me.

As to why create an app, there is potentially much more visibility to an app than a web site since it could be found while searching am app store, which is where most people go. Build an app, you can then get people to install it, then use that as an advertisement mechanism and a way to potentially get more info from people. If that is a web site, people only use it when they need it, and then you get nothing from it. Your can also build more loyalty once somebody as the app.

There is more to the question them just whether html5 has all the capabilities. I work for a very conservative insurance company, who has come to the realization that an app is necessary for most people at this point. It is seen that no app= behind the times to many people.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

That may be changing. The push for an app for the product I manage has subsided. We likely will now not pursue one. HTML5​ and several popular ui frameworks are making a big difference.

And which of those are required in the last version of the RCL app? None, as far as I know.

I was speaking more generally and of the possibilities of the future Royal app code named Excalibur, which may or may not replace Royal IQ. The development of the app is said to better integrate the passengers' experience than the current apps. I assume the reason for the retirement of the old app is to get ready for the new app.

Conversely the extra effort required to develop and maintain multiple apps, when browser access is more universal, means that there is often functionality in the browser version that is not in the dedicated app. Why spend double the time doing functionality for 2 apps, plus a browser, when you can just focus on the browser and get the main features in apps, which is what many do.

Again, the reason why an app is more lucrative is when you want more interactive experiences you cannot get with a smartphone browser. RCI stated they want a more interactive experience. I'm not sure what they are going to incorporate into this new app but it seems they are focused enough to need to address this in their quarterly statement reports and hire a former Disney executive to head the development.

It seems like the debate here is wether a website is a better experience to the end user than an application. Clearly the market shows apps are favored over the browser on smartphones.

I am not agueing a web experience can't be as good as an app. It can get very close, if not match in some cases. And in some small cases, due to poor app development, the browser can be the better experience. But what I am trying to say is if RCI wants a more interactive experience for quests with smartphones, an app is most likely the better route.

I was speaking more generally and of the possibilities of the future Royal app code named Excalibur, which may or may not replace Royal IQ. The development of the app is said to better integrate the passengers' experience than the current apps. I assume the reason for the retirement of the old app is to get ready for the new app

The timing seems about right in that RCI mentioned rolling out Excalibur to some ships by this summer - maybe they'll just spring it on us, as I've seen nothing new since the initial mention of it.

As to why create an app, there is potentially much more visibility to an app than a web site since it could be found while searching am app store, which is where most people go.

I suspect there are more searches for web sites via google, than there are app searches via an app store...

I was speaking more generally and of the possibilities of the future Royal app code named Excalibur, which may or may not replace Royal IQ. The development of the app is said to better integrate the passengers' experience than the current apps. I assume the reason for the retirement of the old app is to get ready for the new app.

Unfortunately they haven't said the reason why in their announcements.

As for speaking speculatively of what is possible, other things could certainly be better on their web site! Though each time they talk about changes in the site, they only mention all the benefits and how good it will be. Also, even that release indicated that as planned, the app role out would be ship by ship, rather than fleet wide.

Basically, there's a fair while before any possible improvements come to fruition. And for now, they just don't have any app in the market. What will the market be like by the time Excalibur gets there...?

Unfortunately they haven't said the reason why in their announcements.

As for speaking speculatively of what is possible, other things could certainly be better on their web site! Though each time they talk about changes in the site, they only mention all the benefits and how good it will be. Also, even that release indicated that as planned, the app role out would be ship by ship, rather than fleet wide.

Basically, there's a fair while before any possible improvements come to fruition. And for now, they just don't have any app in the market. What will the market be like by the time Excalibur gets there...?

Well, the current trend is heavily favoring apps. As of right now worldwide consumers tend to spend about 90% of their time on mobile apps compared to their mobile website, unless it's retail, which favors mobile website. That's according to Yahoo's Flurry analytics, which studies app vs mobile web usage for marketing purposes. Specifically in the United States, it's 86%. Companies like Facebook, Pinterest, banking apps, and even Google all have heavier usage on their apps than mobile websites. As a matter of fact, the mobile browser apps only make up a total of 14% of total app time compared to other apps like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. Facebook alone takes up 17% of overall time.

This shows other companies if they want to stay relative in today's market and offer something for their most loyal customers they must create engaging applications, even if they are similar to their mobile website.

The numbers conducted by Flurry are similar to those found by Compuware, which says 85% of those studied say they prefer mobile apps over mobile websites. Rather than time spent overall, this was simply an opinion based survey. These are all searchable online and the trend is increasing year after year.

Richard Fain, CEO & Chairman of RCI, told analysts to expect the Project Excalibur app to debut sometime this summer. He said to expect the new app to be on about 20% of the ships by the end of this year and be on somewhere around 50% of the ships by the end of next year. That is a huge investment and something RCI is betting heavily on. Again, no word yet if this is replacing Royal IQ yet, or any other details as a matter of fact, but it is stated the app is being built from the ground up.

Well, the current trend is heavily favoring apps. As of right now worldwide consumers tend to spend about 90% of their time on mobile apps compared to their mobile website, unless it's retail, which favors mobile website. That's according to Yahoo's Flurry analytics, which studies app vs mobile web usage for marketing purposes. Specifically in the United States, it's 86%. Companies like Facebook, Pinterest, banking apps, and even Google all have heavier usage on their apps than mobile websites. As a matter of fact, the mobile browser apps only make up a total of 14% of total app time compared to other apps like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. Facebook alone takes up 17% of overall time.

That's hardly surprising, as your quote touches on. Further analysis from them shows massive growth, exceeding any other category by multiples on the Social and Messaging category alone.

So the figures don't show that people broadly use different apps in preference - and even acknowledges that overall volume - as distinct from time - for web is equivalent, but in a specific category they use it. As they spend a lot of time in that area or site, and it has a repetitive, simple set of instructions, it makes sense to use an app. As you point out, facebook alone takes up 17% of all the access you refer to. If you use something that much, sure, an app makes things more convenient.

It doesn't mean that every web site they go to they will search out whether an app exists, and then use that in preference.

And keep in mind that their intention could be to go down the same path as Princess and offer a wearable. That's guaranteed to have the interactivity features they want, while there is no guarantee that the cellphone any specific passenger carries does.

Last time I´ve checked the Royal App is years ago and I threw it off again as it didn´t offer anything more than the website. No use onboard.

Royal IQ was specifically designed for the use onboard (Quantum class ships and Harmony). That was really helpful for making reservations (restaurants or shows) or see your personal daily planner or the Cruise Compass.

Using the app onboard is the major advantage of an app. I don´t sit on my sofa browsing the RCI website on my cell phone using the app. That´s much more convenient on my big screen computer.

Excalibur I think will mainly replace the Royal IQ and maybe add some features of the website too plus a lot more. But we have to wait and see. As a start I don´t think it will be available for other than the already mentioned ships.

steamboats

And keep in mind that their intention could be to go down the same path as Princess and offer a wearable.

^ that's a given - though in a different form factor than the current WOW band - probably something like the Ocean Medallion Carnival/Princess will use.

As a start I don´t think it will be available for other than the already mentioned ships.

That was the interesting part of the Excalibur announcement - it would be rolled out to other ships in addition to the ones that already have Royal iQ (I'm guessing Allure and Oasis).