Tipping in Rome

jshli

May I add that I've never had a taxi driver take the long way around to get from point a to point b either

Of course I'm not afraid to either point to the way I want him to go or simply ask what route he is planning on taking

In my experience these legitimate drivers really don't want to be circling in traffic anyway

I'm not sure why anyone goes to Rome or any other city without googling and studying a street map before their trip

I know exactly where I'm going and I always book stuff to be convenient to each other

No way would I book colesieum and Vatican together but I most certainly would book Vatican/st peters and castal Angelo together in one day

And Neros Golden House and colesieum together

Spanish steps/pantheon/navona/trevi are also no brainers and should be scheduled together

Just knowing the street geography of Rome is so easy as it's not a huge city by any means

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...
This topic always gets some interesting comments. But, I would simply submit that the term "Ugly American" applies to fellow Americans who insist on imposing our American culture on other countries. There are various tipping "cultures" around the world which vary from the big tips (often 20% these days) given by North Americans...vs 0 % which is the norm in many countries (including Australia).

Some Americans think they are doing the "right thing" by being generous with tips (when they travel) but the reality is that many locals resent Americans...who they see as rich Yanks who like to flaunt their wealth by giving big tips. And yes, quite a few Europeans are now taking advantage of our tipping generosity...while smirking behind our backs. The reality is they think we are foolish (but they still take the money) and I have had an Italian tell me that we are simply idiots to give away our money. It is a worse situation down under where we have been told by a few folks that they resent American's tipping because it is ruining their no-tip culture. One Aussie told DW and me that in Australian they "pay a living wage" and tipping is an insult. On the other hand, we have never seen anyone refuse to accept a tip :).

As a long time world traveler, I think its smart to act like a guest...when visiting foreign countries. And part of being a guest is to learn something about the local culture (including tipping) and try to adhere to these standards....so as not to offend our hosts. There are many good web sites that will give you the tipping standards by country (and sometimes region within countries). Some travel magazines have even occasionally included pull-outs that set forth tipping standards by country.

I do think that we Americans often feel uncomfortable not tipping...or tipping 5% (not uncommon in Italian restaurants where you get very good service). But once you get into the swing of things...its not hard to follow local mores.

Hank

This is very helpful, thank you!