Received Cancellation Notice from Royal Caribbean for "My Time Dining" Reservations?

That math would not work with a two hour allowance for dinner. Now, if they cut down the dining time to 90 min or less, then it might work.

We normally sit down at 8.45 on a table for 2 in MTD and leave at around 9.45, admittedly we don't often have a desert because we have had snacks in the Diamond lounge.

I'm a little surprised at the reports of problems with MTD on Royal...especially considering that you have to reserve a time each night? Seems like that should make it easier to control the flow and the personnel needed to handle the anticipated dining load.

I'm familiar with YTD -- a similar concept -- on Carnival, and they don't seem to have the same problems...and no reservation is needed; you just show up when you want to.

Now, it's not perfect; during busy times you might have to wait and you get a pager from the check-in podium, much like a shoreside restaurant -- but we've had really good luck with it, including last year when we had a group of 9 people. Were we accommodated right away with our chosen first night's wait team? Not every night; there was only one ten-top in their section, but they did their best...even putting some tables together for us just "outside" their section so we could be served by them.

Alas, my recent experiences on RCCL (Freedom class) aren't much of a guide for me; they've been full-ship charter cruises with open seating in the MDR each night, and a minimal dress code.

I'm a little surprised at the reports of problems with MTD on Royal...especially considering that you have to reserve a time each night? Seems like that should make it easier to control the flow and the personnel needed to handle the anticipated dining load.

I'm familiar with YTD -- a similar concept -- on Carnival, and they don't seem to have the same problems...and no reservation is needed; you just show up when you want to.

Now, it's not perfect; during busy times you might have to wait and you get a pager from the check-in podium, much like a shoreside restaurant -- but we've had really good luck with it, including last year when we had a group of 9 people. Were we accommodated right away with our chosen first night's wait team? Not every night; there was only one ten-top in their section, but they did their best...even putting some tables together for us just "outside" their section so we could be served by them.

Alas, my recent experiences on RCCL (Freedom class) aren't much of a guide for me; they've been full-ship charter cruises with open seating in the MDR each night, and a minimal dress code.

You do not have to pre book mtd. You can just show up. The only reason to prebook is to avoid some of the wait.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

We just got off the Enchantment of the Seas, this past Friday. This was our 4th cruise and we had MTD, but not because it was our choice. I am glad we premade our reservations, I think it would have not worked out well if we had not. We made them for 6pm every night. We had the same table of 8, every night. To me it was the same exact thing as assigned seating. I guess if you wanted a different time every night that would be different. Personally I like the 2 different seatings.