Cruise in review DVD miscommunication, I need advice.

My husband and I were on the April 30th Allure of the Seas cruise. We travelled with our son, his GF whom he proposed to on the cruise, her sister and boyfriend. We had a great cruise and wanted to bring home a keepsake of the voyage. We purchased the cruise in review DVD as we have on a few other cruises.

When we returned home we found that the DVD we had purchased had no content on it at all that pertained to our cruise, it was more like an RCL commercial for the Allure, actors not passengers.

Now we realize, big ship lots of people somehow the cruise portion wasn't printed onto our DVD. We contacted the ourphotossupport that was printed on the disc and asked for another copy. We were informed that they are generic DVD's. We replied, no, all through the cruise the cruise director and activities team tell you, this event is being recorded for the cruise in review DVD so if you want memories of your cruise purchase a copy. We realize not the whole Love and Marriage game would be there or the whole Quest game etc but fun snippets as it has been on other discs we bought. They reply once again with no there wouldn't be, it's a generic DVD. They also said if we wanted a refund we would have to mail the DVD back to them.

In frustration I contacted the after cruise customer service dept, spoke to a very nice representative who said they would look into it. They called me back quite quickly, they had the lady who had been emailing us on the other line. She says to me, you don't understand, on the Oasis, Allure and now Harmony there is NO cruise content on the DVD, it's all Royal's doing.

I asked how can they tote a DVD will have memories from the cruise when it doesn't. She said she didn't know. I replied. we spent $30 on a commercial for the Allure? YES she said. She then said she would refund our money no DVD needed. Thank goodness we live in Canada so not much point.

Now this in no way ruined our cruise but is this true? I would love to hear from others that have bought cruise in review DVDs on the Oasis class ships. This can't be right, the lady from the photo company said I'm not the only complaint on this. Sorry for the long post and thanks for the input.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted I need advice, I'm just wondering if other Oasis class passengers have bought this DVD and if they have had a similar experience. I just find it difficult to believe the cruise director etc would say things were being recorded for it and they weren't. Why would Royal make these ships an exception?

I was recently told that the "Cruise in Review" DVDs are a thing of the past. They will no longer be "filming" the events on the cruise and making a DVD of the actual cruise. All ships will only sell the "commercial" version DVD that will not include any actual events from your actual sail date.

I would of been fine if they had said that but the cruise director kept saying "being filmed for the DVD get your copy". Think maybe they need to stop saying this. If we had known it was just about the Allure and only about 10 minutes long we would of not bought it. Happy to be getting a refund but worry that others will be tricked by this.

RCI must really be confident on their commercial that passengers will really buy it on DVD for $30, with full disclosure that there is no cruise content on it. More expensive than a movie on DVD.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I saw this thread topic, I definitely wasn't expecting this particular issue. Thanks for the heads up! (even though I've never purchased the "Cruise in Review" DVDs before). But coming from a marketing/advertising background, issues like false advertising piss me off.

These days (with everyone having quick access to a cell phone camera), this souvenir is pretty much dead.

Sorry this happened to you. Good to know. But guess I haven't seen roaming video cameras filming in yrs either. I know 25-30 yrs ago they had VHS tape Cruise-in-Review but even then they had few clips of our cruise. Out of a 25 min tape I'd at least 15 wasn't our cruise. Was no voice recordings either, had music dubbed on whole tape. Think still have it in a box...

I cruised on indy last july, purchased the dvd and can u believe it was the exact same dvd as when i cruised on indy in 2008 but i was on anthem in oct 2015 and bought the dvd and recognised people from that very cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe I shouldn't have posted I need advice, I'm just wondering if other Oasis class passengers have bought this DVD and if they have had a similar experience. I just find it difficult to believe the cruise director etc would say things were being recorded for it and they weren't. Why would Royal make these ships an exception?

Yes! And that was way back in December 2012 on Oasis. I was really annoyed because it was our silver wedding anniversary. Being in Europe it was just too much hassle to pursue it. Luckily we took plenty photos and shot video of our own.

Hi, YES - this was the same scenario I encountered after I sailed on the Oasis (I don't remember if it was Oct 2010 or Dec 2013). At that time it was mycruisephotos dot com I dealt with. I too bought the Cruise In Review after hearing throughout it would be about that particular cruise. There were cameras filming events all week.

I'm looking at the front cover -- "Real footage captured aboard your cruise vacation. Relive your memories again and again!". Inside cover: Featured Content - tour of the ship; behind the scenes tour; ship's officers and staff; Memories of your cruise; fellow guests; ports of call and all it had on it was information about Oasis, the neighborhoods, etc. Nothing about my cruise.

I contacted mycruisephotos and was told that because the Oasis is so big, they don't include cruise portion. I asked the same question OP: why is it promoted Everywhere as a Cruise In Review (your particular cruise) when in isn't. The reply was pretty vague if I recall. They asked me to email them the cover - something about getting it changed -- doesn't sound like that happened :D.

It was annoying/disappointing that I had wasted the money.