Other Side of Island

allpoints

Here is a link to photo of recent fares which will give you an idea.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53093343&postcount=2

If you want you do Punta Morena AND Coconuts I think i would look at the island tour rate. It is not easy to pick up a taxi for "hopping" on the east side and I personally wouldn't want to risk it on a cruise ship day - maybe on a land vacation.

I have been to Punta Morena for the day and arranged for a taxi to return on a cruise ship day. Taxi fares are more expensive to east side than southern beach clubs. Cell phone service can be spotty on east side but as long as you don't cut your time too close there is probably enough passing taxis that they could contact dispatch, they are just not generally sitting waiting.

Every time we've been there have been a few cans waiting at Coconuts

I agree there are always several vans but how do you know they aren't waiting for people that are already inside? I have never had a taxi solicit me at Coconuts so I have always assumed they were booked. Maybe your experience has been different?

As I said I am sure they could call dispatch, or the bar would call. On a land vacation I don't think it would be an issue, on a cruise ship day I would rather not be left waiting. I like to know my schedule.

We've done the Bar Hop twice as well and have thought about just going to Punta Morena ourselves as well, but If we would do it, we would definitely hire a driver for the day. (Plus we like to have a few cocktails in the sunshine and sand!).

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm heading to the East side, I hire a driver whom I've been with a few times. Google "Black Hat Cozumel" He is a great and courteous driver. As for drinking on the East side, Mezcalitos has much better drinks (and food) than Coconuts, which is basically a tourist trap.

We also hire a private driver through ToursPlaza if we are going to go all round the island. We prefer not to drive ourselves, especially on a cruise ship day, as we like to have a drink. I have also arranged for a taxi to return if just going to Punta Morena.

However, I think the OP has probably already sailed so hopefully they will return and lets us know what their experience was like if they did decide to take a taxi?

• 11 months later...