Shopping consultant on NCL Pearl

momtodogs

I just got off the Pearl last Sunday 5/28 and the shopping consultant wasn't named Trey, it was something difficult to pronounce. If you really want to know I'll try to find the dailies I saved and hope it is listed somewhere.

I have to say, I really hope no one knows the answer to this....

I would have to agree with this and also getting a morning chuckle.

Okay... maybe mean of me to say it. But shopping on a cruise ... I just don't get it.

What did the shopping consultant do?

I'd be worried that they would spend their time talking you into purchases that you'd normally steer clear of?

I didn't see that much to actually buy on our recent Jade cruise. A lot of watches, a lot of jewellery of the type that looked like bad fakes that might have come out of a Christmas cracker, and very little fun stuff like clothing, bags etc. nothing to tempt me at all. We have some free internet as a perk, so if I'd wanted to buy something like perfume, I could have checked our local home prices for comparison.

I can't believe cruise lines actually pay someone a salary trying to steer business to favored companies. I wonder what the cruise lines percentage of sales are? Ever notice how they ask to see your ship card as they are ringing up sales?

I found last week's dailies and the shopping consultant on the Pearl then was Armen, no last name given. I'm not sure why I remembered that as unpronounceable.

The only Alaska souvenir I brought back, to my disappointment, was a bag of birch candy. Didn't have the energy or time to do much shopping in ports (plus I make a beeline for the most expensive items, I didn't let myself go into the alpaca store in Juneau) and there was nothing I particularly wanted in the Alaska store onboard.

Can't quite remember the shopping consultant's name (sorry)but I do feel it was worth

attending a few of his presentations on our Panama Canal cruise. He gave out pretty

good information (without being asked) where the public restrooms were in Bonaire and also

the name of a jewelry store to buy emeralds in Colombia. Supposedly if you got home and they

were fake NCL would make it right with you. I did end up buying some modest emerald

earrings which I wouldn't have without the guarantee. And it is always a good idea

to know where the restrooms are when traveling. For what it's worth all the places I went

on Bonaire had the word toilet spray painted on a rock or a concrete wall with an arrow. I

probably would have missed it.

I can't believe cruise lines actually pay someone a salary trying to steer business to favored companies. I wonder what the cruise lines percentage of sales are? Ever notice how they ask to see your ship card as they are ringing up sales?

They don't. They are hired by the stores the recommend and placed on the ships.

The cruise lines own a LOT of the stores in the Alaskan ports (at least the ones near the docks), That's why they have someone on board pushing those stores, the locally owned and operated stores almost always have signs in the window stating this fact.