Herculaneum - DIY best & quickest way to get there from Naples

kikki21

Hi all

We are on an MSC cruise from Naples on the Meraviglia next month. Our port time in Naples is quite short from 1pm to 7pm so thinking about a trip to Herculaneum.

MSC don't offer a tour there so we would need to DIY this - do we have enough time to do it justice? Does anyone know taxi prices?

I know the taxis in the port charge double than outside the port as I found this out last time I was in Naples!

We have been to Pompeii and we know you need longer time there. We were planning on going to Capri but we would only get 2 hours to spend there with getting there & back on the hydrofoil if we DIY although we could do this with a ship excursion and get 3 hrs.

The taxis have a fixed rate written on a card in the cab

From memory think it was 60 euros for round trip Naples to Herculaneum with 2 hours there before taxi meets you again to return to ship

Perhaps this is a change in policy since you were last there

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The fixed fare for a taxi from Naples to Ercolano (Herculeneum) is 70 euro, round trip including a two hour stop at the ruins. Two hours is generally a sufficient amount of time.

You can download and print the one-page taxi fare chart, the same one you will find posted in the taxi, from the city's web site here: http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/IT/IDPagina/1193

Thank you both. I was last in Naples in 2013 & caught a taxi inside the port area to Da Michele pizza restaurant - cost 12 Euros. Caught a taxi back to the port 5 Euros! I will print the chart out for taxi fares as security!

Note that you must tell the driver you want the fixed fare before the trip begins/before he engages the meter. He is also supposed to print out a receipt for you before the trip begins.

If you don't speak Italian you might highlight those phrases on the sheet so you can simply point to them, to avoid any communication issues.

Note that you must tell the driver you want the fixed fare before the trip begins/before he engages the meter. He is also supposed to print out a receipt for you before the trip begins.

If you don't speak Italian you might highlight those phrases on the sheet so you can simply point to them, to avoid any communication issues.

Thank you - we will sort something out if we end up using a taxi! We might just walk around in Naples as I usually skip any time spent here to look around & leave Herculaneum for another time as we are planning to come here for a land holiday at some point [emoji4]

You can take the Circumvesuviana train from the Napoli and Garibaldi train stations in Naples to Herculaneum. If you ask on Trip Advisor (or do a search there) you can get some details.

http://www.sitabus.it/en/circumvesuviana-timetables-and-rates/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumvesuviana

https://www.rometoolkit.com/naples_visit/naples_circumvesuviana_trains.html

Herculaneum is well worth visiting and two to three hours would be enough time.

Pompeii Sightseeing runs a shuttle that makes stops at Pompeii and Herculaneum. You get it in the parking lot of the cruise terminal. Just walk past the taxis and you will see it. It is a red bus that only makes the 2 stops. It costs 16 Euros (round trip) to go to Herculaneum and 18 for Pompeii. We just used the shuttle to go to Herculaneum 2 weeks ago and it was great- a fraction of the cost of a taxi.

You can take the train there. (Circumvesuviana)

From the the port take a taxi to the train station (Napoli Centrale). Then take the train and stop at Circumvesuviana. You can buy the ticket at the train station (Napoli Centrale) in a regular convenience store located there. I believe it is 1.90 Euro one way. Herculaneum is a 7-10 minute walk from the station. Straight down a road. Or you could use the shuttle like people suggested. :D

3 hours is enough imo. Get a guide if possible, I think they are useful and knowledgeable.

Pompeii Sightseeing runs a shuttle that makes stops at Pompeii and Herculaneum. You get it in the parking lot of the cruise terminal. Just walk past the taxis and you will see it. It is a red bus that only makes the 2 stops. It costs 16 Euros (round trip) to go to Herculaneum and 18 for Pompeii. We just used the shuttle to go to Herculaneum 2 weeks ago and it was great- a fraction of the cost of a taxi.

Ah thank you for that!

That reduces the cost right down for us. Wow!

How long did you spend at Herculaneum?

We spent about 2 and half hours there. When we were buying our tickets, a guide asked us if we wanted a tour. The tour cost 100 Euros for an hour and a half tour. That was too steep for us so we said no. But she said we can wait and see if anyone else would like to join the group. We waited for about 15 minutes and got 8 more people to join. For 10 Euros each we had a wonderful, informative tour. After the tour we walked around on our own.

We spent about 2 and half hours there. When we were buying our tickets, a guide asked us if we wanted a tour. The tour cost 100 Euros for an hour and a half tour. That was too steep for us so we said no. But she said we can wait and see if anyone else would like to join the group. We waited for about 15 minutes and got 8 more people to join. For 10 Euros each we had a wonderful, informative tour. After the tour we walked around on our own.

This is pretty much how the guides work at both Herculeneum and Pompei. You'll know they are official guides because they display their credentials (most wear them around their neck). Interlopers would quickly be culled out by the pros, they all know each other and anyone without credentials trying to horn in would quickly be shut down.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you - that's a good tip [emoji4]

• 10 months later...

Can you tell me where I can find details for the Pompeii Sightseeing shuttle. Thanks.

• 4 months later...

We have just used Pompeii Sightseeing shuttle to visit Herculaneum on Monday. 15euros each return a real bargain. We would highly recommend it. Unfortunately for us the MSC seaside was in at the same time as us which meant we (Jewel of the Seas) were docked further along the port but a 5-10 minute walk along to the main terminal/station building and there was the ticket booth close to the exit. It seems that Pompeii Sightseeing and Easy Sightseeing were part of the same company but they were very friendly and helpful. The driver who dropped us off at Herculaneum asked which pick up we were on (1.30pm) and he was waiting at the gate when we exited. It was definitely a cheaper and easier option than paying the RCI fees for coach transfers or a taxi.