Explorer of the Seas Alaska 2017 Reviews and Info

Unfortunately I didn't, my partner and I were with their parents and they had a group of 12 friends along so we had a lot going on and when we didn't hid in our room. :)

Hopefully there is one on Empress in September I can get to.

Ho well hope to meet you in the future. I think the cruise has to be 7 nights to have an official meet n mingle.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Ho well hope to meet you in the future. I think the cruise has to be 7 nights to have an official meet n mingle.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Ah, good to know! This was only my second cruise and the first one was 17 years ago on Rhapsody out of Vancouver. Hope to see you onboard soon!

We sailed in August and my group made sure to use the flowrider before we left Seattle. They were scared it would be closed bc of wind or temps later. We did find it closed some, as well as the rock climbing wall. You prob just need light jackets in port. We got pretty warm walking around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They were scared it would be closed bc of wind or temps later. We did find it closed some, as well as the rock climbing wall.

It may seem closed, but if there are staff there it could be that there's just no one willing to brave the elements. No one else was there and if you just looked from afar it looked closed - twice I had them turn it on just for me - basically a 15 min private session. The staff mentioned that they typically will not operate it below 11C (52F) but it really depends on how they feel.

I wonder about the mdr and kids on non formal nights. What is appropriate for kids to wear? My kids don't like to dress up.

There is no separate dress suggestion for kids. However, since dress suggestions are not enforced, feel free to wear whatever.

Edited by clarea

Just got back from the June 30th sailing (same as OP) and the Activity Staff was great.

Paul and Johnny are excellent game moderators. And Silvia is top notch, always bringing the fun and positive vibes.

I enjoyed Zumba by Silvia, but realized I missed the warm Caribbean! This was my first cruise that I enjoyed the excursions more than the ship. Room steward -- Jeffery and our waiters at 5:30 were outstanding. Only disappointed that we could not go down any arm-- Tracy nor Endicott due to extreme ice in water.

I enjoyed Zumba by Silvia, but realized I missed the warm Caribbean! This was my first cruise that I enjoyed the excursions more than the ship. Room steward -- Jeffery and our waiters at 5:30 were outstanding. Only disappointed that we could not go down any arm-- Tracy nor Endicott due to extreme ice in water.

Max and Ruby, how was embarkation? I know you asked about that in the West Coast Departures board. Just wondering if it was as chaotic as has been reported. I'm on the July 28 sailing. Would love any input you'd be willing to share on embarkation/debarkation and your ship experience! Thanks so much.

Hi! We left our hotel at 10 and got to pier around 10:40 using private car transport that the Hyatt arranged. NO issues! Chaotic yes. Long line waiting to drop us off. Unorganized as to where you drop off your luggage. But then we walked right in to check in. No line! Minimal line after security and we were eating in Windjammer by 11:15! So get there early if you can! The longer you wait the more backed up everything will get. Just my observation for June 30 th embarkation.

Good luck and have fun!

A

Debarkation- we used Seattle express. The other company Shuttle express?? Had a horrendous wait. Guess that was since kids ride for free. Had. 1:45 flight--- left ship around 9:30, got there about 10:30. Had a wait at a drawbridge that slowed us down.

A

Hi! We left our hotel at 10 and got to pier around 10:40 using private car transport that the Hyatt arranged. NO issues! Chaotic yes. Long line waiting to drop us off. Unorganized as to where you drop off your luggage. But then we walked right in to check in. No line! Minimal line after security and we were eating in Windjammer by 11:15! So get there early if you can! The longer you wait the more backed up everything will get. Just my observation for June 30 th embarkation.

Good luck and have fun!

A

Awesome, thanks so much for the VERY helpful information! We will definitely follow your plan.

Max and Ruby, how was embarkation? I know you asked about that in the West Coast Departures board. Just wondering if it was as chaotic as has been reported. I'm on the July 28 sailing. Would love any input you'd be willing to share on embarkation/debarkation and your ship experience! Thanks so much.

Ella2, if you are on the July 28 sailing, hope you will either stop by the rollcall and say hi, and/or sign up for the meet and mingle ... we are not meeting the minimum number, though if everyone on the rollcall signed up, we would. Darn! Here's the link: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do

Ella2, if you are on the July 28 sailing, hope you will either stop by the rollcall and say hi, and/or sign up for the meet and mingle ... we are not meeting the minimum number, though if everyone on the rollcall signed up, we would. Darn! Here's the link: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do

Hi jcross! Thanks for the link, I will sign my party of two up and will see if my business partner and her husband will sign up as well. That will get you up to 21 if all four of us sign up. It's been a long time since I've done a M&M on Royal, but they are nice events. Happy to try and help you get to the magic number of 25! :D

Hi jcross! Thanks for the link, I will sign my party of two up and will see if my business partner and her husband will sign up as well. That will get you up to 21 if all four of us sign up. It's been a long time since I've done a M&M on Royal, but they are nice events. Happy to try and help you get to the magic number of 25! :D

Thanks so much, Ella! That is so kind of you. We are taking our nieces on this cruise and know they would enjoy a meet and mingle. Hope to meet you and your friends there!

Jan

I do have Q's for you! Apologies in advance if I'm not responding to the right thing - first timer here. Thx for posting this and offering to answer Q's. My big concerns first off if I'm traveling with kids, 5 &7, are excursions. I'm planning the excursions and our priorities are whales, dog sled or just dog camp, Mendenhall Glacier, and then probably White Pass Rail in Skag. Do you have a sense of what is the best to prioritize for those kids - one of the things may have to drop, between dogs and WP Rail. I know we could do it all, but trying to be budget conscious...thx!

Also, do you know if kids can be left in the kids club while going on an excursion? TIA!

My opinion is to keep the dog excursion and drop White Pass if those are the two choices. My kids were borderline bored on the train at 12 and 10. Smaller kids were restless and went outside the train on the platform. I did not attend dog sled excursion-- 12 yo went with grandparents and loved it.

I think you can go on an excursion and leave kids on kids club , but not sure. I only did that once and grandparents were on ship and actually picked girls since our excursion went late. It was ship sponsored so ship did not leave without us.

A

YOU ARE WONDERFUL-THX! PLUS, I hear the train trips can be canceled and I'm not sure there's a way you would get a partial refund on something like that...

My opinion is to keep the dog excursion and drop White Pass if those are the two choices. My kids were borderline bored on the train at 12 and 10. Smaller kids were restless and went outside the train on the platform. I did not attend dog sled excursion-- 12 yo went with grandparents and loved it.

I think you can go on an excursion and leave kids on kids club , but not sure. I only did that once and grandparents were on ship and actually picked girls since our excursion went late. It was ship sponsored so ship did not leave without us.

A

Also, do you know if kids can be left in the kids club while going on an excursion? TIA!

Weolcome to CC.

A word of advice - don't bring this up on CC unless you are ready for a torrent of parental "guidance"..

Going on July 28 Alaskan cruise. My wife and I have only done warm climate cruises in past....what clothes to bring? Jeans, coat, shorts?

Layers, with a rain proof outer layer. You can probably forget the shorts.