Explorer of the Seas Alaska 2017 Reviews and Info

I do have Q's for you! Apologies in advance if I'm not responding to the right thing - first timer here. Thx for posting this and offering to answer Q's. My big concerns first off if I'm traveling with kids, 5 &7, are excursions. I'm planning the excursions and our priorities are whales, dog sled or just dog camp, Mendenhall Glacier, and then probably White Pass Rail in Skag. Do you have a sense of what is the best to prioritize for those kids - one of the things may have to drop, between dogs and WP Rail. I know we could do it all, but trying to be budget conscious...thx!

Also, do you know if kids can be left in the kids club while going on an excursion? TIA!

Got off a few weeks ago on explorer. Had a great time. Pool is heated if you are wondering. It was a little cold but my son loved it.

We did the dog sledding instead of the white pass train. It was a great excursion and will do it again when we sail alaska again. My wife actually wanted to do that and i wanted the train tour but you know what they say about happy wife [emoji3]. It was great but a very long ride to the mushers camp. We did not do this through the ship but through shoreexcursions.com and it included transportation, bar b que lunch at mushers camp, dog sled ride, presentation about dogsledding and they have a little petting zoo.

We did the mendhall glacier with evening whale watching. That was also a great excursion.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Thanks so much, Ella! That is so kind of you. We are taking our nieces on this cruise and know they would enjoy a meet and mingle. Hope to meet you and your friends there!

Jan

You're welcome, Jan! We're up to 21 now (got the four of us signed up) so if you can wrangle up four more, you have your Meet & Mingle. I will go say hello on the roll call thread too. :)

Q: Wait to buy excursions after you get off ship? - I have all our excursions planned out, as a first-timer to set foot in AK - but the one we didn't get was an actual dog sled ride (trying to adhere to some type of budget). I can still cancel excursions, though - do you think I could get a fire sale of a deal to do an actual dog sled ride (many trips are just to "see" the dogs) if we wait till off-the-ship? I don't want it to be too complicated, though, with our 5 & 7 yr. old in tow. I'm not looking for frills such as doing it on a glacier, just the summer dirt is fine! Best prices for this, booking ahead were about $150 pp. TIA

do you think I could get a fire sale of a deal to do an actual dog sled ride (many trips are just to "see" the dogs) if we wait till off-the-ship?

Unlikely, and you may out of luck altogether as they fill up.

Does anyone know if you can use U.S. money in Victoria, BC? In actually walking around town and the businesses "in the wild," not just set up for cruisers.

It probably varies by the business, but if they do, the exchange rate is bound to be terrible. Just use a credit card.

It probably varies by the business, but if they do, the exchange rate is bound to be terrible. Just use a credit card.

I have had some business that didnt even give you an exchange rate. There is a little currency exchange booth right by the end of the dock. It is on the side of the shop that sells tshirts and trinkets.

Thx, both! Trying to decide if I need any cash for little souvenir shopping or just go into brick and mortars to use credit card. i have a nighbor willing to exchange her canadian money with me. plus many vendors probably use Square anyway...

The two best ways to buy things outside the US for US travelers is:

1) Use a credit card with no transaction fees. You get the interbank exchange rate, so it's pretty much just like using USD. If your card does have fees, it's usually 3% (some are less, but most are 3%). So that translates into a $3 fee per $100 spent.

2) Use an ATM to get cash. This can be more difficult to determine the fees as it depends mostly on your bank. For example, my bank (credit union really) charges 2% and no ATM fee. Then of course the ATM you use can have a fee itself, it should be posted. The benefit though is you again get the interbank exchange rate and not some crappy rate. This is what I do if I absolutely need cash (for example if taxis don't take cards). Some major banks will have branches, or agreements with local banks within other countries, and using an ATM there may be free.

The worst option is to use those currency exchange booths like Travelex. They're convenient, sure, but they give you HORRIBLE exchange rates. No matter what ATM fees your bank charges, they're still better then using these things.

Bottom line is the vast majority of places will take cards, but a street vendor probably not. If it's just one place and one purchase, might as well ask if they'll take USD. It's basically a free 25% markup for them (1 USD = 1.25 CAD today), but they will have to pay to get it converted into CAD so they can spend it themselves so...YMMV

Drink packages - I can't figure out how to start my own posts, so here goes yes another Q on this cruise! (and sorry!): does the other adult in your cabin def have to purchase the drink package too?! Looking at the beer/wine one. just couldn't seem to find anything consistent across Royal Caribbean from reading the posts...thx!

I've been searching for 2017 sailing reviews for the Explorer of the Seas out of Seattle. I'm on the June 30 sailing but I haven't seen much in terms of reviews, Cruise compass postings, tips, etc.

Anyone have any insight? What to do/not to do? We are staying in a Junior Suite, Port side, got the beverage/specialty dining package.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Drink packages - I can't figure out how to start my own posts, so here goes yes another Q on this cruise! (and sorry!): does the other adult in your cabin def have to purchase the drink package too?! Looking at the beer/wine one. just couldn't seem to find anything consistent across Royal Caribbean from reading the posts...thx!

You can start your own subject by clicking "New Thread".

There is no longer a beer/wine package. The only drink package that includes alcoholic drinks is the Deluxe Beverage Package.

I'm just back from the explorer on 7/28 if anyone has questions. I'll do my best to answer! It was a great trip! We booked it again for next year!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Tell us everything!!!!

If you are Diamond do you know if the coffee machine in the lounge is working?

Any mention if it working may only be true for a short time. It was out several times (sometimes for a 1/2 day) during our sailing. When it's out long enough, they set it up so you can get a limited selection at Cafe Promenade.

Tell us everything!!!!

Yes I am diamond. I never used the machine but saw it being used several times. We had the drink package so we just got coffee at cafe promenade.

Yes I am diamond. I never used the machine but saw it being used several times. We had the drink package so we just got coffee at cafe promenade.

Last month machine was working all week. With only about 100 d and d+ members it was never busy even during cocktail hour. Always found a seat inside the lounge and outside seating was always empty. Have a great cruise as alaska was beautiful.

Last month machine was working all week. With only about 100 d and d+ members it was never busy even during cocktail hour. Always found a seat inside the lounge and outside seating was always empty. Have a great cruise as alaska was beautiful.

Lounge for us was dead all week too! It was very nice! Haha

I'm just back from the explorer on 7/28 if anyone has questions. I'll do my best to answer! It was a great trip! We booked it again for next year!

Were the new soda machines working? How were the crowds when boarding? How was the food and service in MDR room?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app