Train from Rome to Civitavecchia with luggage

RM

Omg. When we went, we got off the train and had to go down 2 flights of stairs then back up 2 flights of stairs. There was no way to get to the other side of the tracks other than stairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Omg. When we went, we got off the train and had to go down 2 flights of stairs then back up 2 flights of stairs. There was no way to get to the other side of the tracks other than stairs.

I am doing this from a "senior" memory so Euro-Cruiser of other knowledgeable posters can feel free to correct :). We are assuming that the OP will be starting at Rome's main Termini station and taking the regional train. The track normally used, for the train that stops at Civitavecchia, is located quite far (at least 2-3 city blocks) from the main entrance to Termini. It is flat, but you will still have to roll your luggage a pretty long distance to simply reach the train. Once you get to Civitavecchia, we recall that the train normally stops at track 2 (or higher track number) which is not located adjacent to the station. We also do not recall the Civitavecchia station as having an elevator available to passengers. So this means you would have to take your luggage down a long flight of steps, pass under 2 (or more platforms) and then drag your luggage up equal steps to reach the level of the terminal. If you can easily handle your luggage...then its no problem. But if carrying your luggage up and down industrial steps (where a fall would be quite nasty)...then you do not want to use the train.

Hank

Don't do it!!! Lol. We're young and strong and it was terrible. We used a transfer -Rome cabs I believe. For four of us it was like $40 each, private van, met as soon as we got our luggage it was fantastic. Would never do train again. It'll eat up a good portion of the day and you will be worn out.

I am doing this from a "senior" memory so Euro-Cruiser of other knowledgeable posters can feel free to correct :). We are assuming that the OP will be starting at Rome's main Termini station and taking the regional train. The track normally used, for the train that stops at Civitavecchia, is located quite far (at least 2-3 city blocks) from the main entrance to Termini. It is flat, but you will still have to roll your luggage a pretty long distance to simply reach the train. Once you get to Civitavecchia, we recall that the train normally stops at track 2 (or higher track number) which is not located adjacent to the station. We also do not recall the Civitavecchia station as having an elevator available to passengers. So this means you would have to take your luggage down a long flight of steps, pass under 2 (or more platforms) and then drag your luggage up equal steps to reach the level of the terminal. If you can easily handle your luggage...then its no problem. But if carrying your luggage up and down industrial steps (where a fall would be quite nasty)...then you do not want to use the train.
Your memory is just fine Hank.

The train is a great budget solution for those who are prepared to deal with its costs. Of course it's a lot more pleasant if you travel light. It can also be easier if you're willing to spend a little more for a reserved seat train (non-stop from Rome to Civitavecchia, departing from main track heads), but you can't solve for all of the challenges (no elevators at Civitavecchia, need to get from the train station to the port entrance) so it's not for everyone.

Sounds like my husband would have a hard time. I had back surgery last year and lifting luggage is out of the question. Thank you all for your replies, think we will look at shuttles or limos.

Sounds like my husband would have a hard time. I had back surgery last year and lifting luggage is out of the question. Thank you all for your replies, think we will look at shuttles or limos.

I only use Romecabs

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I only use Romecabs

Yes they are the best. Will meet you when you get off the ship, not outside the port area like others.. and believe Me when you're in your private transfer being whisked away you will see people struggling with luggage trying to make their way to the train station. You can sit back, relax and watch the scenery.

Yes they are the best. Will meet you when you get off the ship, not outside the port area like others.. and believe Me when you're in your private transfer being whisked away you will see people struggling with luggage trying to make their way to the train station. You can sit back, relax and watch the scenery.

Many other services mentioned on this site frequently also meet you at the ship. It's certainly not unique to Rome Cabs.

Absolutely the best imho!!

We used Transferitalyrome.com, aka Antonio Cagnoli & Son last month - a Father and son company. Tonio collected us from our airport hotel and drove us right to our ship. Excellent service and highly recommended - also the cheapest quote we were sent. They also do tours in and around Rome/Tuscany.

Last time we cruised out of Civitavecchia we took the train . . . this time we are arranging for transportation. For both trips, our starting point is the airport. While we made it in one piece, it was tiring after the long flight and caused some extra stress at the beginning of our trip. We have learned having someone pick you up at the airport works much better.