Question on Booking from Someone Who Has Never Cruised Before

Melipope

We are thinking of doing a cruise on Carnival this winter. It will be my husband and I, and our three children. We want two rooms (not too far apart). Do you recommend using a travel agent (cruise only no hotel or flight needed), or booking directly. If you book directly, is there any advantage to calling Carnival or just do everything online?

Thank you!

Nervous & Excited!

Wait for a sale and do not book EARLY SAVER because if you have to cancel there are penalties. A on line TA may give you additional OBC.

I frequently cruise with my sister. She has a TA that she's developed a relationship with over the years so we often use her. This year's cruise I planned myself and booked online but wish I hadn't, mainly because I turned in to the organizer of three cabins of travelers, one of which is full of "newbies" and I feel like I've BECOME the TA, only without the commission.

I was wondering the same.

I called Carnival directly, then went on Carnivals website, then I called the TA up the street from my house.

TA saved me over $300!

$300 paid for most my Cheers package.

Like supporting the small business owner as well.

We do our own research, and then book through Costco. They give you a Costco GC after you sail - the amount varies according to the length of your cruise. 7 day - about $100; 14 day - $300. Price of the cruise is exactly what's listed on the website.

:D With over 45 cruises with Carnival and 5 other cruises with others lines I always book directly with Carnival. I cut out the middle man and always get the answer from the sauce no middle man. I never hesitate to call Carnival with the smallest of questions and they are always willing to provide the answers. One warning you must HEED above all. After your first cruise you will become one of us and all you will think about is your next cruise.:eek::*

:p You made me think of Star Trek and The Borg....You will be assimilated. :')

Save

Save

The other issue that possibly comes in to play when using most TAs is that that if you want to make any changes at all to your cruise, even a room switch, they charge a $50 service fee. The majority of TAs do this, not all.

IF you have a good travel agent they can do all the work for you. Sometimes they have good relationship with certain cruise lines and can get you into your choice dining if filled. Recently we almost had to cancel and our TA worked her magic with Carnival rep to refund everything even though we had early discount so that was amazing. We received an on board credit of $150 per cabin and bottle of wine in cabin, any extras help!

Remember: If you book outside of the Carnival team, you can not discuss your cruise with Carnival from that point on. You will be told to call your travel agent or what ever you used. It is much more convenient to book with Carnival.

I've booked all my cruises myself and just called Carnival when I needed help. They've always been helpful. I think at least with Carnival you can do it on your own. If you feel better having someone else do it all for you then by all means get a TA. I personally like the planning and researching for a trip. It gives me something to do while I wait for vacation time to arrive.