Tipping

Can you tip in cash onboard say with the waiters (waitresses) or bartenders. I know I can add a tip to the receipt on a bar tab, just wondered does that particular person can keep the cash, or do they have to share it among others.

Maybe once onboard to give a tip beforehand to your room steward. This may allow for them to give you better service than if you didn't. Just wondered.

Can you tip in cash onboard say with the waiters (waitresses) or bartenders. I know I can add a tip to the receipt on a bar tab, just wondered does that particular person can keep the cash, or do they have to share it among others.

Yes you can, but this should be above the auto tips. Note that cruise lines have a "tipping" formula in place that manages tips. When a person does not auto tip, the program that manages the tips, still assume they get it, thus making it a mute point. Whether you tip it all in cash, or if you leave the auto tip alone, the employees end up sharing the tips. It makes no sense, and serves no purpose to play with the tips. However, if you tip extra, and they have reached the expected dollar amount the program designates for them, than they keep everything above that amount.

Maybe once onboard to give a tip beforehand to your room steward. This may allow for them to give you better service than if you didn't. Just wondered.

Service people work for tips. I would think they would work harder for the people who don't bribe them so they can maximize their tips. Once you tip them, no need to impress.

Bar tips are set at 18%. No need to tip extra. Bar service is easier and quicker than any other service on the ship, and no need for tipping at 30-50% per drink. The drinks I receive are always to standard, and my service is always the same as others. RCCL has a good bunch of people working for them, and I always feel they treat everyone the same regardless of how many dollars you flash around.

Can't specificly answer for RCI. Many other cruise lines add about 15% to each bar bill before you sign it. You can tip your wait staff extra if you find the service superior or they do something extra . The daily service cover wait staff and room stewards. Depending on the cruise line if daily service charge (tips) is removed. All cash has to turned into the a pool. The same for room stewards. Then distributed among the all the staff.

This usually a hot button topic that can get nasty in discussion.

Can't specificly answer for RCI. Many other cruise lines add about 15% to each bar bill before you sign it. You can tip your wait staff extra if you find the service superior or they do something extra . The daily service cover wait staff and room stewards. Depending on the cruise line if daily service charge (tips) is removed. All cash has to turned into the a pool. The same for room stewards. Then distributed among the all the staff.

This usually a hot button topic that can get nasty in discussion.

Royal adds 18%.