Eclipse British Isles and French Open June 2017 review (long with photos)

texasgirl29

The bus driver stopped right in front of the Eiffel Tower, and idled there for about five minutes. At 11:00, the tower began to sparkle.

And there was a full moon. Sigh.

767b780d24644a1b73e86d9488dbbfbd.jpg

3ceceb0e15781bf9f1744ba29404f78d.jpg

When we had our fill of photos and videos, the bus pulled away and stopped where we began, the Arc de Triomph.

53c44319ba23ab655f88a0ddcd738487.jpg

3d6be112e14351a081958217ece495df.jpg

We stopped for a few souvenirs and walked back to the hotel in the hot, humid night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sunday, June 11

Paris, Day 2

We walked down the street in search of breakfast, settling on a cafe within the HiltonHotel.

22d09bbd0b1fa748811a35c5509dece5.jpg

I felt all Parisian with my breakfast of an almond croissant and cafe au lait.

e5532f703d8e69273508e227aa5c9d36.jpg

Norene and David decided Brian was not feeling well enough to venture out and they would stay at the hotel, then take a taxi to lunch and wait for the time for the bus at 4:45.

So, Rachel, Paul and I checked out and began walking toward the Seine. As we passed La Madeleine, we noticed all the runners and a group of drummers keeping up the best as the day began to swelter.

2c6c5e4f3a36066f2db0a3f6d7b73eda.jpg

eb5b387b4989bdf8d33706e30b28693d.jpg

We entered the Place de Le Concorde, beautiful now but once a scene of executions during the French Revolution.

20673db602e31cffe08311d58a3ea6f8.jpg

be592279c55d5c86866de1617b796e24.jpg

The boat had a recorded announcement in five languages which just became background noise. On the top deck, it was very hot and sunny. Inside cool but loud. The side was a sort of compromise. At least we could move about.

d6ff46df0d9acf392f38400036879ed4.jpg

a338ae0658b24fe1b9b354a74be27a6e.jpg

We had a very nice view of the Eiffel Tower from the water.

8e2e6c4efd3c9a345d75e22f3329dcc4.jpg

I would recommend the boat ride especially if you have limited time. Wear a hat and sunscreen so you can enjoy the open air top deck.

After our boat ride, we walked back up the Champs Elysee and found a sidewalk cafe for lunch. Afterwards, shopping for macarons at LaDuree and browsing the stores, then we found our way to the Churchill statue to wait for our bus.

6a228e3eeb15364a4d1a9df07ed81baf.jpg

b4840f371f7c07e7b4a936e6c11aaf8d.jpg

When we got to the park where we were to meet the bus, Paul's parents and brother were already there. It appeared Brian had hear exhaustion and began vomiting. As soon as the bus came, we got him settled into the air conditioning but he continued to be sick the entire way back.

As I mentioned earlier, this was the only ship tour we took on this cruise. And that turned out to be fortuitous because as we were heading out of the city and on a two lane feeder road, there was an accident ahead of us. We saw police and EMS vehicles speeding by us. Our bus, as well several busses behind us and the cars around us, were at a complete standstill for over an hour. The people in the cars got out and walked around. We got out of our seats and began to chat with fellow passengers. Slowly, we began to creep along for about another hour until we passed the accident.

So our return to the ship was delayed by about two hours. We managed to find some dinner in the Oceanview Cafe but they were rapidly taking food away and closing up stations. I saw one passenger speak to someone in charge that people had been delayed and still needed to eat.

We were tired and I was badly sunburned. We called it a night.

Monday, June 12

At Sea

After breakfast, we emerged from our room to see the medical staff moving Brian in a wheel chair. His symptoms returned during the night and he was taken to see the doctor. He returned to the room in the afternoon under quarantine. It was determined not to be norovirus but he was given intravenous medication for several days.

Paul chatted with our room steward, Connie. She said she has been with Celebrity 15 years. He apologized that our 17 year old leaves socks everywhere but she said she has a teenager herself.

I went to the "Beyond the Podium" presentation on Ireland. Ok, would have been nice to be a little more specific to the cities we are going to visit, Dublin and Cobh, instead of more generalized.

The rest of the day was quiet. We went to the "captains clearance sale" and I bought a Celebrity pullover as I'm expecting a very cool day tomorrow. The ship was gently swaying and Paul took a nap while I read. After lunch the swaying got more pronounced and I took a nap also; I generally do not get seasick but I was getting a bit dizzy and having trouble walking in a straight line.

Tonight was "Chic Night," but I wasn't in the "chic" mood so didn't dress up much. The show "Rock City" was great. The "bad-ass" looking performers sang and danced great but I imagined their mothers all made them take ballet lessons. The audience of mainly 60 and 70 year olds rocked out to the songs of our youth.

f7c03203c7c7f7861cee36adc012b9c6.jpg

d99ff4d3a22ce3b15b0b5465f48f1931.jpg

I've been impressed with the stage shows but disappointed with the daytime entertainment which mostly consists of thinly disguised infomercials for spa treatments and future cruises. Sue Denning, our cruise director, was just back on board so I don't fault her for the lack of daytime entertainment. Two years ago on the Eclipse Sue was the cruise director and there seemed to be more to do during the day, including Q&A with her, a cooking competition and a talk by the head chef on buying and preparing steak. I actually really like Sue and I was glad to see she would be our CD.

Two years ago on the Eclipse Sue was the cruise director and there seemed to be more to do during the day, including Q&A with her, a cooking competition and a talk by the head chef on buying and preparing steak. I actually really like Sue and I was glad to see she would be our CD.

Glad that Sue is back with 'her ship.'

She has had a longish period away, including being CD on Millennium.

Tuesday, June 13

Greenock/Glasgow, Scotland

We arrived in Scotland, sailing amidst the cloud-shrouded hills.

73634e321f5c73c6cabfe34205963458.jpg

We tied up at the terminal, a lone bagpiper playing and a person inside a strange blow-up Scottish figure doing some weird moonwalk dance.

d625a629e622e5cf95cc050464fa4479.jpg

867f8cae1d9a7f5805c52f7e503fe4b3.jpg

We were docked at 9 and left our room by 9:30 to meet the tour at 10. The line to get off the ship was long and moved slowly.

We walked through the terminal and down the walkway, out of the gate where we met our guide David. We didn't stop to check out any of the items for sale or the information as we took so long to get off the ship. He checked us off and we went onto the brand new silver Discover Scotland 32-passenger bus. We were 20 minutes late by the time the last people arrived but we got back on schedule by cutting short our first stop just a little. (It wasn't the passengers fault, getting off was too unorganized.)

The first stop was the village of Luss. It was very bed-and-breakfasty with cottages with over flowing flower baskets and rock walls. Thanks to our driver and guide David, we got there before the crowds.

3c95c548f021e98f3abed400d1c00574.jpg

614de9c8794b3cd453c00339fc19e9e2.jpg

I shamelessly copied this from Wikipedia about Luss:

Historically in the County of Dunbarton, its original name is Clachan dubh, or 'dark village'. Ben Lomond, the most southerly Munro, dominates the view north over the loch, and the Luss Hills rise to the west of the village.

Saint Kessog brought Christianity to Luss at some uncertain date in the 'Dark Ages'. A number of early medieval and medieval monuments survive in the present churchyard, including simple cross-slabs which may date to as early as the 7th century AD, and a hogback grave-cover of the 11th century. A well-preserved late medieval effigy of a bishop is preserved within the modern church. The present Church of Scotland place of worship was built in 1875 by Sir James Colquhoun, in memory of his father who had drowned in the loch in December 1873. The church is noted for its online services as well as for holding over one hundred weddings per year, most from outside the parish. Luss is the ancestral home of Clan Colquhoun.

9005c9a63dc5148b5930f6c92679d00e.jpg

67a579d0b0821d5a2904dcc57d0ccd9d.jpg

Our guide David played for us the famous song:

By yon bonnie banks and by yon bonnie braes

Where the sun shines bright on Loch Lomond

Me and my true love were ever wont to gae

On the bonny, bonny banks of Loch Lomond

Chorus

Ye'll tak' the high road and I'll tak the low road

And I'll be in Scotland afore ye

But me and my true love will never meet again

On the bonny, bonny banks of Loch Lomond

'Twas there that we parted in yon shady glen

On the steep, steep side of Ben Lomond

Where in the purple hue the hieland hills we view

And the moon coming out in the gloaming

The wee birdies sing and the wild flowers spring

And in sunshine the waters are sleeping

But the broken heart it kens nae second spring again

And the waefu' may cease frae their greetin'

He told us its very popular at wedding receptions but the story is very tragic, about two brothers. One is to be hung and one allowed to go free.

Here's David with Paul, Rachel and me.

7e0d37efa5f5d1bb48e89b6544dbcaf7.jpg

Lunch was on your own at the village of Callander. David recommended a couple of places to eat, we chose the Taste of The Trossachs.

1f6165c1c6286236109eda672f27a22c.jpg

Paul and his dad had meat pies with haggis but I opted for a scone with jam and cream and a pot of tea, so they had that also.

cffb6f6efb3144bcd998de2f13e1dda8.jpg

We walked through town and looked through a few shops before heading to Stirling Castle.

4e79fee98d96655668185b0c7c09fac7.jpg

6cd85a5ea0feb50493993444d4ceef80.jpg

a630c685e24dec5028f7f2daeb80f869.jpg

In preparing for this cruise I watched some videos about Stirling castle on YouTube and Netflix. I attempted to read "Mary Queen of Scots" by Elizabeth George but didn't get too far. I bought the guidebook on Amazon. We prepaid our entrance fee (not included in our tour price) and I was ready for what I considered one of the main attractions of this cruise.

It did not disappoint.

We had only about an hour and a half here which of course is not nearly long enough. I'd love to come back some day.

af8b7ddb62065166106f619322034f2d.jpg

d0c71f27709ed6b13f0513f8211ef7ba.jpg

The view from the castle is amazing:

f1eff9f456afe3210b0adac5ff83d048.jpg

e53c1c5b0a4d55560320b3e7a40c4cc4.jpg

a9ba27c6050361cfc1d22dbb50d2a556.jpg

We wandered up and down stairs and through passageways.

76e2aeb73715f2a963a9c89658431787.jpg

Love the photos of Stirling castle. I saw R.E.M. there in 1999 and it was am amazing concert. The best ever; with the wonderful Highland scenery as a backdrop.

I have been trying all sorts of photo sharing sites etc to try and post some of my photos from the cruise but nothing works !! It is so frustrating.

We went along the coast to Larghs when we stopped at Greenock. My good friend lives in Glasgow and she met us and took us to the famous ice cream parlour in Larghs - Nardini's. Delicious :)

Love the photos of Stirling castle. I saw R.E.M. there in 1999 and it was am amazing concert. The best ever; with the wonderful Highland scenery as a backdrop.

I have been trying all sorts of photo sharing sites etc to try and post some of my photos from the cruise but nothing works !! It is so frustrating.

We went along the coast to Larghs when we stopped at Greenock. My good friend lives in Glasgow and she met us and took us to the famous ice cream parlour in Larghs - Nardini's. Delicious :)

Thanks, Helen. I have my photos on my iPad and In the cruise critic app reply screen I just hit the icon with the rectangle with two triangles. It goes to my photos and I select. The photos upload and put a URL code in my text.

Here's what my screen looks like after I choose a photo from my iPad.

1d85ce6b0cf1ce626e7e6f090edf4adc.jpg

JoAnn

Edited by texasgirl29

Thanks, Helen. I have my photos on my iPad and In the cruise critic app reply screen I just hit the icon with the rectangle with two triangles. It goes to my photos and I select. The photos upload and put a URL code in my text.

Here's what my screen looks like after I choose a photo from my iPad.

1d85ce6b0cf1ce626e7e6f090edf4adc.jpg

JoAnn

I don't have the cruisecritic app but the tapatalk version is pretty much the same. If I hit the two mountain signs I can select from my iPad photos and they just upload. Not sure what is wrong here but maybe try the main tapatalk app?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok.....have downloaded the app to my iPad ...let's see if I gave any joy now! b47b6f8587efc8f695d937386e597184.jpg

Ok Etretat on the coast north of Le Havre

8e19e5921c1ada177c6ee500fd142c18.jpg

Dieppe with the cliffs and Chateau in the background with the monument to the failed Canadian landing in the fore.

d1361cd02438a855a158da286497a496.jpg

9d22d90cedce20628af2b468ad119ec1.jpg

The Canadian war graves cemetery Dieppe.

Our driver and guide, David, kept up a steady flow of information as we drove back to Glasgow. Traffic was getting heavy, so we did not have a chance to see anything of the city other than what we could see from our windows. We got back in time as promised.

I would definitely recommend Discover Scotland Tours. They have a variety of tours from cruise excursions to multi-day tours.

Back at the ship, from our window at dinner, we could see a cadre of female drum and bagpipers. We couldn't hear them unfortunately, but they played they marched off in formation, then turned and waved goodbye.

Wednesday, June 14

Liverpool, England

We arrived at the birthplace of the Beatles. We went to the terminal welcome area after climbing the 45 degree gangway (the river was at low tide) and used their wifi to contact Julie, my cousin's wife, to arrange to meet after our Magical Mystery Tour. Julie is married to John, and I have not seen him since I was about 2 years old. Besides being excited to be at the hometown of the Fab Four, my mother was from nearby Widnes, and I'd heard about it my whole life.

af3e75f238eca5069fff8208d7db8e90.jpg

And of course the famous "ferry cross the Mersey."

05e486c8d8be88762531e8954f14dc84.jpg

At the welcome center there was wifi (a small donation requested for the sea man's fund), a band playing and this photo prop.

5a4f88ce93da4749a19f47585f492db8.jpg

After we caught up on some email and Facebook, we went back to the ship's medical facility to check with Norene and Dave on which of them would accompany us on the Magical Mystery Tour.

It was decided that a Norene would go and Dave would stay behind with Brian. She was doing well enough to venture out without the walker although we probably walked a little more than she needed to.

Liverpool was such a great port because the ship docks right where all of the attractions are. We had a wonderful, sunny day ahead of us.

4538241862ab42e295ea6f31099f864f.jpg

Edited by texasgirl29