Egcs-scrubbers

parksguy99

Did a Google search and all I could find was the number of ships per cruise line, not the specific ships.

Hi, I did the same search and found the same. I got a question in with Princess to see if they will answer my question.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Here is one bit of information. The 2016 report stated that 8 ships had scrubbers installed at that time. I would guess the 8 ships with an A, not A- rating for air pollution control.

http://www.foe.org/cruise-report-card/line/8

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks, this report gives a good indication of the ships that have the exhaust scrubbers installed. I'm assuming that the deck air quality on these ships would be better for passengers and crew.

newsstand.google.com/articles/CAIiEKDTIVuILnHdJAEzy4lo8IsqFggEKg4IACoGCAowl6p7MN-zCTDlkko

Above is the source article that piqued my interest in this topic.

Thanks, this report gives a good indication of the ships that have the exhaust scrubbers installed. I'm assuming that the deck air quality on these ships would be better for passengers and crew.

newsstand.google.com/articles/CAIiEKDTIVuILnHdJAEzy4lo8IsqFggEKg4IACoGCAowl6p7MN-zCTDlkko

Above is the source article that piqued my interest in this topic.

Both the FOE report, and the article you linked have some agendas that they don't mention. FOE, for example, give ships an "F" if the cruise line doesn't answer them, it has nothing to do with their environmental compliance, but only with whether they got an answer. The Daily Mail article uses a German environmental "report" that does not provide any specifics of air quality numbers or the testing protocols used, and is based on one short cruise on one ship.

For the most part, air quality on deck is not affected by whether a ship has a scrubber or not, since given the heat of the exhaust, causing it to rise, and the forward motion of the ship, not much exhaust reaches the decks of the ships.

Also, ships with scrubbers are not required to use them when outside an ECA (Emissions Control Area) like the US ECA. Once the ship is outside the 200 mile limit of the US ECA, they can bypass the scrubber and stay within all MARPOL regulations. Also, ships without scrubbers must use low sulfur diesel fuel when in ECA's. The current ECA's of the world are the US, North Sea, Baltic, and when actually docked in EU ports.

Both the FOE report, and the article you linked have some agendas that they don't mention. FOE, for example, give ships an "F" if the cruise line doesn't answer them, it has nothing to do with their environmental compliance, but only with whether they got an answer. The Daily Mail article uses a German environmental "report" that does not provide any specifics of air quality numbers or the testing protocols used, and is based on one short cruise on one ship.

For the most part, air quality on deck is not affected by whether a ship has a scrubber or not, since given the heat of the exhaust, causing it to rise, and the forward motion of the ship, not much exhaust reaches the decks of the ships.

Also, ships with scrubbers are not required to use them when outside an ECA (Emissions Control Area) like the US ECA. Once the ship is outside the 200 mile limit of the US ECA, they can bypass the scrubber and stay within all MARPOL regulations. Also, ships without scrubbers must use low sulfur diesel fuel when in ECA's. The current ECA's of the world are the US, North Sea, Baltic, and when actually docked in EU ports.

Thank you, you have made some excellent points but l'm still unsure that the exhaust particulars count they reported in the article isn't a valid concern for those with breathing issues.

Quote:

"For the most part, air quality on deck is not affected by whether a ship has a scrubber or not, since given the heat of the exhaust, causing it to rise, and the forward motion of the ship, not much exhaust reaches the decks of the ships."

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Thank you, you have made some excellent points but l'm still unsure that the exhaust particulars count they reported in the article isn't a valid concern for those with breathing issues.

Quote:

"For the most part, air quality on deck is not affected by whether a ship has a scrubber or not, since given the heat of the exhaust, causing it to rise, and the forward motion of the ship, not much exhaust reaches the decks of the ships."

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

I would not base any scientific decision on one sample taking, and without knowing the environmental conditions at the time of sampling, the exact location of sampling, etc, I would view any results with skepticism. For instance, yes, if they waiting for the ship to be moving slowly, with a following wind, and heavy humidity to dampen any particulates and cause them to drop prematurely (and let's face it, these groups will know exactly the conditions that would best present their case), you could get the results they did.

I'm not saying that ships are without emissions. They are. What I want to know is why these groups are going against cruise ships, when these represent less than 3% of the world's shipping tonnage, all of which burn the same fuel, and emit the same emissions. The answer is simple, the cruise industry has a large target, while going after cargo ships would affect the world economy and interrupt the supply of Iphones and autos being delivered by sea.

While the article says that ships "like residual fuel because it is cheaper", that price of fuel is offset by the initial capital investment in fuel treatment equipment, and its subsequent maintenance over the life of the ship, required to use residual fuel. Diesel fuel can be pumped straight from the tank to the engine and burned. Residual fuel requires heating to even be pumped from the tank, then further heating and centrifuging to remove contaminants, and then further heating and pressurization to be able to be burned in the engine.

And finally, as I said before, even ships with scrubbers will only use them when in an ECA, and will bypass them when outside the ECA, so your exposure to unscrubbed exhaust is probably greater during the duration of a cruise than to scrubbed exhaust.

As they noted in the article, their sample size for studying the adverse affects on cruise passengers is difficult to obtain. What they don't want to think about is a simple way to determine if being on a ship has health concerns is to study the incidence of breathing problems among the many thousands of merchant seamen around the world, who have been sailing on ships burning the same fuels or even those with higher sulfur and less emissions regulations for over a hundred years. This would show far better whether there are health concerns, since these people have experienced breathing onboard air quality for decades (as I have) rather than one week or so every couple of years.

Does this do anything about soot particles?

Yes, scrubbers will reduce particulate emissions. What most cruisers complain about as soot is from cleaning the turbochargers of the diesels and the tubes of the boilers. Generally, the boilers are not equipped with scrubbers, and this cleaning only happens once a day, not continually.