Customs in Venice?

CrzN4Info

My family will be traveling on the Norwegian star to Europe next June. The cruise originates in Barcelona Spain and ends and Venice Italy.

Does anyone know if we will need to go through customs in Venice Italy after departing the ship or anything else special we need to know? We will be carrying off our own luggage.

We are trying to figure out how long it will take for us to obtain entry into the city once docked.

We are US citizens

Thanks!

So, your question really is how long it takes to get off the ship and into the city. And, but city, do you mean the Island of Venice, or the landside city? (or the airport)

Customs is only one part of the entire process. And in general, customs in Europe is rather quick and easy compared to the states.

Does the cruise leave the EU at any point? For example, last year we stopped in Kotor, Montenegro which is out of the EU. That is actually a very GOOD thing as it means you do not pay VAT tax on everything on-board but it does mean going through customs in Venice. The customs process is extremely painless and rather quick.

Once through customs, you need to decide how you are getting into Venice. There are several optional from the cruise terminal and you should understand the differences. Are you spending extra evenings in Venice (which I highly recommend). If not, what time is your flight? The answers to these questions will help us give you a more complete answer.

I did a very similar itinerary a few years ago on Princess (start in Barcelona, end in Venice). It is magnificent itininary! My advice is to make sure you have great walking shoes (maybe two pair to alternate) and you plan very carefully to make the most of your time. Ending in Venice was so great that last year we went back to Venice to spend more time.

I just did round trip Venice in June, there was no customs. Just walked off. They said you could not carry off any of your own luggage and had to check the large bags. We got off with the first group and literally took minutes.

Thank you all for your help. Below is our itinerary. I'm not sure if Monaco is part of the EU or not. If it is not, would we still have to go through customs in Venice and would we be charged VAT tax on the ship?

Depart Barcelona Spain - EU

Monaco - ??? Not sure if EU

Pisa Italy - EU

Rome Italy - EU

Naples Italy - EU

Santarini Greece - EU

Athens Greece - EU

Croatia - EU

Venice Italy - EU

After the cruise we will be spending two days in Venice and then taking a train to Rome to spend two extra days there before we leave back to the US.

We will be taking the people mover when we get off the ship in Venice and have already planned a great itinerary.

Regarding VAT being payable, this actually depends on whether all the ports are in the EU VAT area, not just in the EU. This can make some differences.

The only questionable port on this itinerary appears to be, as you say, Monaco. However, I believe that Monaco is included, through France, so this looks like a cruise that may well have VAT charged all through the cruise.

It's worth noting that they haven't generally been charging any tax on beverages consumed through the UBP, so if you have the package you hopefully won't have to worry about that.

As for customs in Venice, it won't be a problem. Even if you do leave the EU then any immigration issues are generally dealt with onboard.

Many people who are used to cruising from the US are used to delays at disembarkation due to customs and immigration. It just doesn't happen in Europe, especially for trips like this. Arrival from other areas (i.e. after a transatlantic) can be a problem, but round trips or ones like this are just not a problem, even if you do leave the EU.

As an indication. In the past few years I have done a number of cruises from or to Barcelona, Copenhagen and Venice, many of which have left the EU (including one from Barcelona to Venice that left the EU), and every single disembarkation has involved walking off the ship, picking up my bags if necessary and walking out of the terminal. It isn't that customs or immigration are quick, they are basically non existent.

Of course, at any time the local authorities could decide to pick on a cruise to do some checks, but it's very unlikely. Certainly not worth worrying about.

All your ports are intra-EU, so there will be very little interest from Customs. If you buy anything substantial on the ship or ashore you can claim the VAT back at the airport.

Think twice and check out comments on the people mover on the Venice site on the CC port pages. It is a long walk from the ships if you are laden down with luggage in fierce heat.

There are often mammoth queues to get on it, especially on disembarkation day, and it is only a small tram with two carriages, as I recall.

The taxi cartel will rip you off for the one mile journey into Venice and the water taxis' fares are astronomic but they are worth considering, together with the waterbus instead.

Edited by Bollinge

We were on a cruise beginning in Genoa and ending in Venice and no customs. I am a planner and planned everything and I really regretted trying to save some money by taking the people mover. It is a long way from the ship and we had to wait what seemed like forever to get the ticket to get on it. Many people in front of us had trouble with the machines. No problem for us and I had to help some others in front of us. And it was hot and I was miserable. Never, ever again. I should have paid for a taxi. It would have saved us an hour and a lot of aggravation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums