Local artwork

kbaird

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a good place to look for local paintings and such.

Not so much into the museum version of art but prefer finding those hidden unique finds, if that makes any sense :p

"Local paintings" are mostly those with classic cars, in all sizes from tiny to huge. The small ones are turned out by the hundreds, all the same all over the island (maybe even made in China?). Quality on the larger ones varies from presentable to Tia Maria's first time with a brush in hand. (I noticed more of the latter since tourism had picked up, and probably everyone is trying to get in on the profits.). There are certain very popular motifs, such as those with a car (there are several car variations and colors) in front of the famous bar La Floridita or the Bodequita del Medio, that you see over and over. I have gotten a couple for my mechanic for his office space and he seems to like them, says he gets lots of interested comments from customers. You can find these at a dozen shops along Calle Obispo and at other locations in Havana Vieja. I bet they have them at the stalls right at the pier that someone mentioned.

There were some "original" paintings at the huge warehouse full of souvenir/crafts stalls on a waterfront pier not far from the cruise pier---not great art IMO (of course, everyone's taste differs), or at least not good enough to make me part with a lot of CUC, but at least different from any others around. YMMV

There are several printmaking workshops in Havana Vieja that each have a shop with prints for sale, and a couple of good (but limited stock) galleries. The prints seem to be of pretty good quality, and are original, numbered prints. There are different sizes available and from different artists. A 4x6 print might be about 30CUC+; larger ones of course, more, into the hundreds.

Galleries:

http://www.lahabana.com/guide/havana-guide-home/arts-culture/arts-galleries/

Also Fabrica de Arte: http://www.lahabana.com/guide/fabrica-de-arte-cubano-f-c/

The San Jose Market close to the pier has lots of artwork to choose from. Just know that some of the pieces are mass produced and most of the sellers aren't the artists. That said, I thought there were some very beautiful pieces there reflecting Cuban culture and much more than just the classic cars. I purchased three pieces, two for 15 CUC which he originally tried to sell me for 25. The last which I feel is more original due to the paint drippings and other unique indicators was priced at 50 CUC but I negotiated down to 30. So three nice pieces for less than 60CUC. They will roll them up and put them in a tube for safe transport as well.

Enjoy your trip! Cuba is amazing!

Note: Also factor in custom framing charges for these pieces, since the canvases are in centimeters and standard "inch" frames in the US do not fit them well. Either you lose part of the painting or you see the unpainted edges, maybe 1/2", of the canvas.

(The Almacenes San Jose market is the "huge warehouse" I mention above.)

Edited by VidaNaPraia

We went through Cuban customs getting back on the ship in Cienfuegos. They saw the tube that contained a rolled up oil painting and sent us over to another station where we paid duty on the painting. 8 CUC on a 45 CUC purchase. Or is that 3 CUC, hard to make out...34942502714_c4edde1f45_z.jpg

We went through Cuban customs getting back on the ship in Cienfuegos. They saw the tube that contained a rolled up oil painting and sent us over to another station where we paid duty on the painting. 8 CUC on a 45 CUC purchase. Or is that 3 CUC, hard to make out...

Interesting

Is this for just artwork that they tax you??

O certain type of artworks?

TIA

We had some cheap mass produced artwork that they didn't do anything about. I'm assuming that they reacted to the tube -- must be worth something...

:)

Maybe that was it

I collect sculptures from where I've traveled to. Any recommendations where to go in Havana to find original pieces? Reputable art galleries? I don't want Made In China cheap sculpture intended for cruise ship tourists. ;)

Thank you.

I collect sculptures from where I've traveled to. Any recommendations where to go in Havana to find original pieces? Reputable art galleries? I don't want Made In China cheap sculpture intended for cruise ship tourists. ;)

Thank you.

There wasn't a lot of sculpture that I found. I saw a couple of good quality pieces in two higher end galleries in Havana Vieja, and rows of carved wooden African style female figures (made who knows where) in tourist shops along Obispo.

There wasn't a lot of sculpture that I found. I saw a couple of good quality pieces in two higher end galleries in Havana Vieja, and rows of carved wooden African style female figures (made who knows where) in tourist shops along Obispo.

Thank you.

Since I don't smoke or drink, what do most tourist buy for souvenirs?

• 2 months later...