Internet pricing? Per device? Per account?

POA1

Is the new $29.99 per day Internet service plan per device, or can you log off and then log back in on a different device? I'm talking about a phone and a laptop. We're on the Escape in October. I tried to find some speed test data, but had no luck so far.

You set up a login which can be used on as many devices as you want, but obviously only one at a time.

If you attempt to log on a second device it will alert you that another device is connected and ask if you want to disconnect the other device so the new device can have access.

I had the unlimited last month and we used it between 3 different devices but as stated only 1 at a time

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Is the new $29.99 per day Internet service plan per device, or can you log off and then log back in on a different device? I'm talking about a phone and a laptop. We're on the Escape in October. I tried to find some speed test data, but had no luck so far.

You cruise enough to know that "speed test" are not necessarily accurate with satellite-based internet due to latency and the potential that you will hit the local cache server versus going over the satellite.

The $29.99 unlimited internet has been around for a while. BUT,,, the Escape has gone to the 3-tier plan for basic social media, internet/email, and streaming. Each package has a different per day charge. Do you have to figure out what you intend to use the internet for and then pick a package.

You cruise enough to know that "speed test" are not necessarily accurate with satellite-based internet due to latency and the potential that you will hit the local cache server versus going over the satellite.

The $29.99 unlimited internet has been around for a while. BUT,,, the Escape has gone to the 3-tier plan for basic social media, internet/email, and streaming. Each package has a different per day charge. Do you have to figure out what you intend to use the internet for and then pick a package.

I always run a speed test. I realize that there is latency, but it shows up in the results: ping time, latency, up link speed, down link speed and packet loss. As long as you get something ISDN speed or better, I'm fine. It's for work, not for entertainment.

Where on the NCL site can you find the information on the tiered packages? I could only find the one price.

I always run a speed test. I realize that there is latency, but it shows up in the results: ping time, latency, up link speed, down link speed and packet loss. As long as you get something ISDN speed or better, I'm fine. It's for work, not for entertainment.

Where on the NCL site can you find the information on the tiered packages? I could only find the one price.

Here's a CC article. It is a pilot on the Escape that is suppose to be deployed fleetwide soon.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7591

In the past, the Escape has had the worst internet service in the fleet (and we sail 5-6 times a year). We have sailed on the Escape twice (most recently May 2016). Both times, the internet was poor to unusable. NCL did their internet upgrade over last summer, but I have not seen any definitive statements that it is "good". Now, they are using the ship for the roll out of tiered service.

Here's a CC article. It is a pilot on the Escape that is suppose to be deployed fleetwide soon.

In the past, the Escape has had the worst internet service in the fleet (and we sail 5-6 times a year). We have sailed on the Escape twice (most recently May 2016). Both times, the internet was poor to unusable. NCL did their internet upgrade over last summer, but I have not seen any definitive statements that it is "good". Now, they are using the ship for the roll out of tiered service.

Thanks. It's odd that they don't mention this program on their own website.

I can rely on speedy internet using my phone as an access point in port, but I am concerned about the 4 days when we're not.

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages

I was on the Escape at the end of May and found the internet service generally fine, I know one of my fellow passengers was using it for a video call every evening and she didn't mention any issues with it other than burning through the minutes she'd bought a little too quickly.

I was able to watch videos on social media no problem. I didn't run a speed test though so I can't say definitively how fast it was.

Anyone do a speed test?

Thanks for the responses BTW.

Last week on Pearl I was heavily dependent on the internet. And it wasn't always pretty. I think I tried to run one speed test, but had the server time out due to a serious latency issue. When it was working -- and for almost two days it was completely down -- the speed seemed to spike up and down. I attempted and completed a single 25 minute Skype voice call, from my cabin while tied to the pier in Victoria. For I'd say 80% of the call, the quality was serviceable, but for one stretch it got broken up to the point of having to repeat things. I didn't even bother with video. I watched a few news video clips / youtube videos over the week, and had a number of buffering issues.

During the two days data was down, I had about 500 MB of e-mail back up in my outlook in box. When the internet came back on line, I let my computer start synching and went to dinner. It was still going after dinner. Took about 2.5 hours to clear the queue. If we say 2.5 hours is 9000 seconds, and 500 megabytes = 4 gigabits, then the back of napkin average download speed was 444 Kbps, or about 1/5th max DSL speed. I'd guess latency was on the order of 500 ms (as compared to connecting via aircraft wifi, which seems to have latency of +/- 800 ms). It seemed more responsive than that.

How's that for wild-a** speculation and guestimation?