Thumbs Up for Sapphire Beach

hollygtn

We selected Sapphire Beach for our outing today. Number one criteria was great snorkeling, but didn't want to trek over to St. John. And, DH was not keen on a beach with a lot of vendors which ruled out Coki Beach. If we had time we were going to at least check it out but we were having too much fun at Sapphire.

We ate lunch at the grill. I had the blackened Mahi sandwich and devoured it. I worked up an appetite swimming against the surf and it was downright tasty. Plus it was hot! After a few days of lukewarm main dining room dishes it was mouth watering good.

Here is a VERY rough clip I threw together from our snorkeling today. We think the school of funny looking fish was actually squid. Hubby thought he saw the tentacles, but I didn't see them.

There were enough fish to give my girls a great first snorkeling experience so it was a good beach for us. After our first go-around we rented the rafts for $5 each 1 hour or $8 each two hours. It really helped because we were spending so much time helping with masks, etc. While it is shallow for quite a ways we quickly got to depths that even my 6'7' husband couldn't stand in while helping the girls work things out.

Edited by hollygtn

Thanks for posting the video, nice report! If you liked Sapphire as much as we do consider returning to stay in a condo there. Beautiful Bill is one of the owners there and has a beautiful multi-level condo.

Thanks again!

Definitely squid, and a Southern Sting Ray. We spent a week at the resort there about 18 months ago. The video is the most crowded I have ever seen the beach. The snorkeling was also better than we found on our visit. Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for posting the video. I like your idea of using the floaties as a snorkeling teaching assistant! Very clever.

I think many Caribbean beaches are becoming more popular and crowded. Check out some photos taken 10 years ago and you'll see how the crowds have grown. Fewer people shopping so more at the beaches, I think.

The number of day visitors has increased significantly while the cruise industry has exploded and that's a big factor. It's apparent that Sapphire is seeing more day visitors with the added amenities, but is still a great beach choice for snorkelers and non-snorkelers alike. :p

Thank you for your video. Torn between Magen's Bay and Sapphire. My Family has never been to St. Thomas. We will be there next week! You didn't have to go too far out to get good snorkeling to see the sting-ray? My children would love this. They haven never seen clear water or been snorkeling so I am looking forward to this trip! Great idea on the floats!

We did have to swim around a lot to find the things we saw. And the waves rolling into the beach make for a bit of work to swim against. If I was alone it would be a breeze. My 11 year old got scared because of the urchins when we got into the easy shallower water where there was more to see. So we spent more time further out in deeper water. I honestly would have enjoyed it, would have seen more, and it would have been easier without the kids. But it was totally worth the effort. They loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would not mind staying at your condo one bit Bill!!! Unfortunately we don't get to do these vacations as often as I'd like. Retirement is only 10 years away though!

Thanks for posting the video, nice report! If you liked Sapphire as much as we do consider returning to stay in a condo there. Beautiful Bill is one of the owners there and has a beautiful multi-level condo.

Thanks again!

Yes, those multi-level condos are amazing! We use to stay at one in building E--absolutely loved it. Sapphire is our favorite beach in the Virgin Islands. We are cruising this Spring Break, but may have to get with Beautiful Bill for 2019. :D

OP-- Thanks for the video--loved it.

Yes, those multi-level condos are amazing! We use to stay at one in building E--absolutely loved it. Sapphire is our favorite beach in the Virgin Islands. We are cruising this Spring Break, but may have to get with Beautiful Bill for 2019. :D

OP-- Thanks for the video--loved it.

Yes Bill's a great owner to work with.

We're considering a retirement cruise in January as we haven't cruised in a few years. We'd also like to return to Sapphire for a vacation after the cruise but we have to choose one or the other as we're spending the rest of the winter in our new home in Mexico.

But Sapphire is a gorgeous spot to stay, and being so close to the BVI makes splitting our time between Tortola and STT an easy trip!

Yes Bill's a great owner to work with.

We're considering a retirement cruise in January as we haven't cruised in a few years. We'd also like to return to Sapphire for a vacation after the cruise but we have to choose one or the other as we're spending the rest of the winter in our new home in Mexico.

But Sapphire is a gorgeous spot to stay, and being so close to the BVI makes splitting our time between Tortola and STT an easy trip!

What are the logistics for combining Tortola with St Thomas? I know St John is just a short Ferry ride.

Here is another view of Sapphire Beach. This time showing the walk up and view from land.

I also want to point out all the empty beach chairs. They were slotted for the official Oasis excursion. It seemed like they arrived an hour or more after us. So here is another vote for taking the cab instead.

What are the logistics for combining Tortola with St Thomas? I know St John is just a short Ferry ride.

Very easy! We fly into STT and take the 50 min ferry to West End Tortola because we stay on the north shore where the nicest beaches are. We ferry back to STT a few days before our flight out and stay at Sapphire. Nice contrast between the two experiences.

You can also fly directly into EIS, but that adds another layover at SJU so we prefer to take the ferry to Tortola.

Edited by blue_water
typo

Wow you just helped me work out my next dream Beach destination vacation. Throw in a day trip to St John and it seems divine! The vacation wish list is getting long.

Wow you just helped me work out my next dream Beach destination vacation. Throw in a day trip to St John and it seems divine! The vacation wish list is getting long.

Yes so many choices and so little time and $$$!

Tortola is our (well, my) favorite island for beautiful beaches and fun evenings with music and happy hours. Others prefer Virgin Gorda for a quieter experience, or Jost for a "smaller" experience. Many great places to stay, and you can find ideas in the Tortola forum on tripadvisor, and for even more info the BVI forum on TTOL - http://www.traveltalkonline.com