To (Premium) drink or not, that is the question?!?!

Cruisegoer

We have always had the premium package and we like it. We like that with premium you pay only the difference for wine by the glass or cocktails above $13...with classic you pay the whole cost for anything not included in the Classic package. It also includes all the non-alcoholic beverages on board.

Keep in mind you can use your OBC to upgrade/buy a drinks package once on the ship. We have booked with Classic as a special and then used OBC (as part of our special) to upgrade to premium.

Earlier this year Celebrity changed the classic Beverage Package. You now pay the difference plus 18% tip on the amount above the Classic BP drink price limit.

Edited by davekathy

While I don't disagree with previous advice to wait a day or two before deciding if the upgrade will be worth it to you, on our most recent cruise (Infinity May 2017), they were offering a BOGO upgrade promo on embarkation day only. We already had the Premium package, but a couple sitting next to us at the Martini Bar told us they had upgraded on the BOGO offer. Having said that, I doubt this is a fleetwide policy but something the local Management on Infinity had instituted. My advice would be to enquire thevday you board. Good luck!

Beav, Was the BOGO on the Transpacific May 7 - 21, 2018? If so we were on that cruise and had the Premium, also. I guess it was the "Luck-of-the-Draw". I can't remember seeing a BOGO for that.

+1 If you need 7 drinks a day to "break even" then you need 8 or 9 a day to make it worth while. This is even true on port days where you may be off the ship for 6 or 7 hours of the 24 hours and having extra drinks in port. And smoothies? Try looking at the sugar content then multiply this by 7 or 8 a day. I have no question that people can achieve this level of consumption, but you may want to ask your doctor what he/she thinks about this consumption before committing.

Well said. We can still enjoy our cruises and drink and eat well. Everyone has their own standards. Someone once said do you live to eat or eat to live. That applies to drink as well. My doctor says red wine and brandy are the healthiest alcoholic drinks and says two a day is perfect, but three is not so bad. I do tend to go a little beyond that on cruises, but not like what is required to justify a drinks package, especially if I get free wine at the happy hour.

Originally posted by BEAV While I don't disagree with previous advice to wait a day or two before deciding if the upgrade will be worth it to you, on our most recent cruise (Infinity May 2017), they were offering a BOGO upgrade promo on embarkation day only. We already had the Premium package, but a couple sitting next to us at the Martini Bar told us they had upgraded on the BOGO offer. Having said that, I doubt this is a fleetwide policy but something the local Management on Infinity had instituted. My advice would be to enquire thevday you board. Good luck!

Beav, Was the BOGO on the Transpacific May 7 - 21, 2018? If so we were on that cruise and had the Premium, also. I guess it was the "Luck-of-the-Draw". I can't remember seeing a BOGO for that on any other cruise we've been on.

Guess I didn't finish my thought originally. :rolleyes:

I was surprised with the BOGO offer.

Edited by traveller99
Brain Disengagement.

Our last 3 cruises have been in the Caribbean, and I have not seen nor heard of any discount or BOGO upgrade being offered on a beverage pkg.

I leave on 8/6 on the Equinox and per the cruise planner on celebrity's website Classic & Premium can be purchased at a 10% discount currently $49.50 & $58.50 per day as opposed to $55 & $65 on board.

Can you get any beverages on Classic Pkg at the Martini Bar?
From reading other threads no, the martini's at the martini bar are no longer included in the classic package. It sounds like once upon a time they would accommodate a classic package via a smaller glassed martini but no longer.

Crusin' Lady,

Thank you so much for sharing the information regarding,

the recent change in how the cost of drinks over the package limit makes the classic beverage package less of a problem for those who want to partake of the Martini Bar or other beverages over the classic package limit. In the past, the entire cost of a drink over the classic beverage package was billed for those who have a classic beverage package. Just this spring, that "rule" was changed and now only the difference between the drink cost and the package limit.

I am so very happy to know that they finally changed that. I was fine with the classic package but always wanted to partake in the Martini Bar once and awhile but thought that wasn't fair that they would charge the full price. Do you know if they added this new piece of information to the Celebrity website? When I just seen what you wrote I informed my travel agent and she told me that her company wasn't informed of this change.

So I have one day left to book online getting the 10% discount on the premium alcohol package (totals $483.50). Looking over pricing I realize the Premium non-alcohol package totals $183.50 for the week so then really for an additional $300 your drinking unlimited top shelf alcohols all week. I know on a night out my bar bill can easily be $100 so really this seems like a pretty decent deal.

There is another thread in which the OP created a list of drinks that are available on the classic and premium beverage packages. The link to her post and the PDF files she created are here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=53030316

Classic beverage package drink list: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=406883&d=1494308109

Premium beverage package drink list: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=406884&d=1494308109