To (Premium) drink or not, that is the question?!?!

Cruisegoer

Heading out on an Eastern Carib. sailing soon, it's very Sea-day intensive (3 full plus embarkation day). I'm very torn between purchasing the Premium package or not. Partially the overall cost but also because we are getting $175 OBC that can be used for anything including any drinks. I've done some quick calculations and it looks like break even on the premium package is around 7 alcohol drinks per day (avg cost with gratuity $11). Any sage advice? I'm not an alcoholic but it is vacation so 7 per day considering meals doesn't seem crazy to me. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your breakeven math is a little off. The upgrade cost is $10*1.18 or $11.80 per day. Since the Classic package has a ceiling of $9 per drink, an average drink cost of $11 including gratuity would be a savings of $2 per drink with the upgrade to Premium. Which means the breakeven would be $11.80/$2 = an average of 5.9 drinks per day.

For others, note that since the Premium package has a ceiling of $13 per drink, if you anticipate drinking more expensive wines at or above $13, then the breakeven drinks per day is $11.80/(($13-$9) *1.18) = $11.80/$4.72 = 2.5 drinks per day.

I have two questions- hopefully someone can help me out here.

DH and I have the classic package as a perk when we signed up for a balcony. We also have OBC coming our way too. I am understanding that we can upgrade to the premium package when we get on board- BUT can we wait a day (Or two) to decide if we want to upgrade?

We will be on the Silhouette... There is a 'fancy' bar up on top (I can't recall the name) Where they serve a smoking drinking and several other fun cocktails. I know it isn't covered in the classic package- IS it covered in the Premium package?

Thanks for any info you can send my way.

Gabrielle

Yes, you can wait to upgrade from the Classic to the Premium beverage package. I've been told (but encourage you to confirm once you are onboard) that you have until the last four days of your cruise to upgrade. if you haven't chosen to upgrade within the first few days, you will probably be fine with the Classic beverage package.

If you are a wine drinker, you will want to request the wine list when you are seated for dinner and not rely solely on the very short list of wines that is printed in the dinner menu. There are quite a few more wines to choose from.

Enjoy your cruise.

I have two questions- hopefully someone can help me out here.

DH and I have the classic package as a perk when we signed up for a balcony. We also have OBC coming our way too. I am understanding that we can upgrade to the premium package when we get on board- BUT can we wait a day (Or two) to decide if we want to upgrade?

We will be on the Silhouette... There is a 'fancy' bar up on top (I can't recall the name) Where they serve a smoking drinking and several other fun cocktails. I know it isn't covered in the classic package- IS it covered in the Premium package?

Gabrielle

So here is some advice from a very experienced cruiser (me :). Yes, you can wait until you are aboard to upgrade...and you can do it up until a few days before the end of the cruise (not sure of the current rule). Upgrading is easy and can be done at any bar or by simply asking a bar waiter to upgrade you. But we suggest waiting at least a day to see if you actually find a need to upgrade.

The bar of which you speak (with the smoking drink) is probably the "World Bar" which is actually inside the ship...and has a limited selection of very special concoctions as well as a high-end selection of Johnnie Walker Scotch (yellow, blue, etc). The price of these drinks exceeds the Classic limits and some even exceed the Premium limits. But you can get those drinks with the Classic Package and you will only pay the difference from the Classic max amount and the drink price. As to the drink that "smokes" this requires a dry ice-based ingredient which they have not had on our last 2 Eclipse cruises.

On our S-Class cruises, the place to be in late afternoon and evening is the Martini Bar...which seems to attract a lively crowd and always seems to have the most fun bar tenders.

Hank

Got classic pkg as perk, not fussy about brand names so will take advice and wait to see if we need upgrade. Any classic beverages/martinis offered at Martini Bar? What other bars are cozy places to have a cocktail that will be covered on classic pkg on Silly?

We always upgrade to the Premium package. It includes fresh juice, water, specialty coffees as well as alcohol. I am not a big drinker, but on a cruise I will have fresh juice in the morning with my breakfast, a glass of wine with lunch, pre-dinner cocktails, wine with dinner, an after dinner cappucino and and after dinner drink like amaretto. Then I usually have a drink while at a show. Sometimes we will stop and pick up a coffee before we head back to the cabin. I'm sure I spend more than the package cost and Mr Poetic likes expensive scotch. Most of the drinks we have are above the classic, so it makes sense for us.

Where you you get the fresh juice from? Do you know if juice or smoothies from the Spa café are included with the alcohol package or with the non-alcohol package?

Where you you get the fresh juice from? Do you know if juice or smoothies from the Spa café are included with the alcohol package or with the non-alcohol package?

We had the Premium Beverage Package on our last cruise and learned that the Aqua Spa Cafe smoothies were included in that beverage package. Not sure about juices as we didn't order juices there.

Am actually not sure whether the "fresh squeezed" orange juice is really fresh squeezed any longer. That was the topic of much debate on these boards more than a year ago. I haven't seen mention of the orange juice in a while and didn't order any during our last cruise. If fresh OJ is of interest, you might want to search the boards and get the latest scoop from those who are in the know.

We get the Premium Package, now. The coffees at Al Bacio, soft drinks and water (2 or 3 times a day). Of course the wine and great drinks, especially with top shelf, are the number one reason. Thought this photo would be a great advertisement for the Beverage Package in general. Note the sign in the background. It just happened. This was at the Martini Bar for a Martini Flight, one afternoon. I did do the "Show Pour" - all seven at once - Thanks to Adrian on the Millie.

Poster%20Children%20for%20Beverage%20Package2_zpsgycs4zke.jpg

We had the Premium Beverage Package on our last cruise and learned that the Aqua Spa Cafe smoothies were included in that beverage package. Not sure about juices as we didn't order juices there.

Am actually not sure whether the "fresh squeezed" orange juice is really fresh squeezed any longer. That was the topic of much debate on these boards more than a year ago. I haven't seen mention of the orange juice in a while and didn't order any during our last cruise. If fresh OJ is of interest' date=' you might want to search the boards and get the latest scoop from those who are in the know.[/quote']

Thank you. The smoothies sound wonderful and hopefully the fresh juices will be included there also. Today I'm leaning towards upgrading to the premium package.

"Fresh" orange juice is included in classic package

It might be included, but try to find it! The stuff they were selling at the Lido bar (on our most recent cruise) was called "Premium Orange Juice" and was not fresh squeezed. In fact, we though it was not as good as the free stuff right out of the beverage dispensers. On the Eclipse in December, they were serving fresh squeezed at breakfast in the MDR. But even the Elite breakfast did not have any fresh squeezed.

Hank

Gabrielle

While I don't disagree with previous advice to wait a day or two before deciding if the upgrade will be worth it to you, on our most recent cruise (Infinity May 2017), they were offering a BOGO upgrade promo on embarkation day only. We already had the Premium package, but a couple sitting next to us at the Martini Bar told us they had upgraded on the BOGO offer. Having said that, I doubt this is a fleetwide policy but something the local Management on Infinity had instituted. My advice would be to enquire thevday you board. Good luck!

Anybody can make a drink package work. The question is, how much would you drink normally? We had the drink package and drank what we wanted with no regards to getting our money's worth. We came up woefully short. The next week we upgraded to the Premium Package and found that to be even a bigger mistake. We couldn't tell the difference as all we drink is mixed drink and as soon as Coke, orange juice, etc,was added they taste about the same. We also found we could enjoy the show at the Martini Bar without the extra cost. We no longer would even consider a drink package. We get enough being Elite and catching cheaper drinks in port.

Anybody can make a drink package work. The question is, how much would you drink normally? We had the drink package and drank what we wanted with no regards to getting our money's worth. We came up woefully short. The next week we upgraded to the Premium Package and found that to be even a bigger mistake. We couldn't tell the difference as all we drink is mixed drink and as soon as Coke, orange juice, etc,was added they taste about the same. We also found we could enjoy the show at the Martini Bar without the extra cost. We no longer would even consider a drink package. We get enough being Elite and catching cheaper drinks in port.

+1 If you need 7 drinks a day to "break even" then you need 8 or 9 a day to make it worth while. This is even true on port days where you may be off the ship for 6 or 7 hours of the 24 hours and having extra drinks in port. And smoothies? Try looking at the sugar content then multiply this by 7 or 8 a day. I have no question that people can achieve this level of consumption, but you may want to ask your doctor what he/she thinks about this consumption before committing.

There isn't any monetary advantage to upgrading prior to your cruise................

Not correct !

If you are planning a Mediterranean cruise it will cost you 10-12% extra, due Spanish or Italian VAT. You can avoid this charge if you buy online prior to your cruise.

Can someone please clarify the difference between "premium coffee" and "specialty coffee"? I am trying to understand what is and is not included on classic vs. premium. What at cafe al bacio will I NOT be able to get with just the classic package?

Not correct !

If you are planning a Mediterranean cruise it will cost you 10-12% extra, due Spanish or Italian VAT. You can avoid this charge if you buy online prior to your cruise.

Thank you for the clarification. I haven't experienced VAT charges in the Mediterranean so I wasn't thinking about that. I guess we were lucky to have been on a cruise that included a non-EU port so no VAT to be paid.

Does the VAT also apply to specialty dining and other items purchased in the shops while on-board?

Can someone please clarify the difference between "premium coffee" and "specialty coffee"? I am trying to understand what is and is not included on classic vs. premium. What at cafe al bacio will I NOT be able to get with just the classic package?

I had the same question regarding the coffees! Thanks

Does the VAT also apply to specialty dining and other items purchased in the shops while on-board?

Yes, specialty dining charges are as drinks + 10%

Shop purchased items are + 22%. Spa treatments - unsure

There are a couple threads that are floating around that reference this. It all has to do with Cafe Bacio's menu. I believe that any espresso coffee based drinks (cappuccino, macchiato and things like that) are considered premium while there are a handful of specialty or "favorites" that would not be included. Here is a helpful link:

http://www.thepreismans.com/med_silhouette_menus.htm

So we are booking our first celebrity cruise and the classic drink package is one of the perks. Hubby drinks a lot of wine (pinot grigio) mostly. I'm more of a strawberry daiquiri/ margarita type of person and probably only 2 a day. I like plain coffee and not huge soda drinkers. Would it be worth it to up him to the premium or will he find enough on the classic? Will I have to pay additional for daiquiris or margaritas?

So we are booking our first celebrity cruise and the classic drink package is one of the perks. Hubby drinks a lot of wine (pinot grigio) mostly. I'm more of a strawberry daiquiri/ margarita type of person and probably only 2 a day. I like plain coffee and not huge soda drinkers. Would it be worth it to up him to the premium or will he find enough on the classic? Will I have to pay additional for daiquiris or margaritas?

You will be fine. There aren't a whole lot of wines to pick from on the classic menu and that's one of the reasons why i upgrade. Once on board check out the menus and then he can make the decision.

Heading out on an Eastern Carib. sailing soon, it's very Sea-day intensive (3 full plus embarkation day). I'm very torn between purchasing the Premium package or not. Partially the overall cost but also because we are getting $175 OBC that can be used for anything including any drinks. I've done some quick calculations and it looks like break even on the premium package is around 7 alcohol drinks per day (avg cost with gratuity $11). Any sage advice? I'm not an alcoholic but it is vacation so 7 per day considering meals doesn't seem crazy to me. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have always had the premium package and we like it. We like that with premium you pay only the difference for wine by the glass or cocktails above $13...with classic you pay the whole cost for anything not included in the Classic package. It also includes all the non-alcoholic beverages on board.

Keep in mind you can use your OBC to upgrade/buy a drinks package once on the ship. We have booked with Classic as a special and then used OBC (as part of our special) to upgrade to premium.