Questions about using the iron in self-serve laundry area

Taylorcast

Hello all,

I am going on the pride with my husband (honeymoon!) on august 6. I have quite a few garments as does he that easily wrinkle. We have a garment bag that they will be stored in. However, I don't want to waste time ironing them before I pack just to have to re iron them once on board.

My questions are: do the irons in the self service laundrette have the ability to add water/steam setting? Are they good quality irons (like what you would use at home) or are they akin to the cabin hairdryers? Are the irons good enough for getting the wrinkles out or is it better to send your garments for a steam in the paid laundry bag with your cabin steward?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For the past three years on three different ships I found the Sunbeam Simple Press Iron with steam and the "burst of steam" feature to be standard. Be sure to check the plate of the iron before using, some had a build up of burnt on gunk and others looked new, YMMV.

prod_14596838310?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.factoryoutletstore.com%2Fimages%2FCatalogItemVariation%2F251625%2FSunbeam-GCSBBV-212-00A-Press-Iron-img3.jpg&d=869850288305b1626c051617e32fa24731d62d3a&hei=1000&wid=1000&op_sharpen=1

For the past three years on three different ships I found the Sunbeam Simple Press Iron with steam and the "burst of steam" feature to be standard. Be sure to check the plate of the iron before using, some had a build up of burnt on gunk and others looked new, YMMV.

prod_14596838310?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.factoryoutletstore.com%2Fimages%2FCatalogItemVariation%2F251625%2FSunbeam-GCSBBV-212-00A-Press-Iron-img3.jpg&d=869850288305b1626c051617e32fa24731d62d3a&hei=1000&wid=1000&op_sharpen=1

Thanks for the tip! Is there a sink in the laundry area to fill the iron with water?

Thanks for the tip! Is there a sink in the laundry area to fill the iron with water?

Yes, of course. And the irons are permanently wired to a wall timer that you have to turn to make the current pass through the iron as well as a wall mounted bracket for storing the iron. Fire prevention is paramount on ships, even the bulkheads of the laundrette are made of steel.

Hello all,

I am going on the pride with my husband (honeymoon!) on august 6. I have quite a few garments as does he that easily wrinkle. We have a garment bag that they will be stored in. However, I don't want to waste time ironing them before I pack just to have to re iron them once on board.

My questions are: do the irons in the self service laundrette have the ability to add water/steam setting? Are they good quality irons (like what you would use at home) or are they akin to the cabin hairdryers? Are the irons good enough for getting the wrinkles out or is it better to send your garments for a steam in the paid laundry bag with your cabin steward?

Something to keep in mind. The irons in the self serve laundry rooms get used a LOT. I don't know how often they're checked ( or replaced) by a staff member on the ship. Maybe only if a passenger goes to Guest Services and says "The iron in the laundry room on deck ## doesn't work." More than once, on different ships, we've tried to use one that either leaked, or didn't get very hot, or there was something else wrong with it. Your best bet is to pack clothes that are labeled "wrinkle free" (or similar). To eliminate the need for ironing as much as possible, bring a travel size bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release, and put it in a zip lock bag ( in case it leaks ). Hang the wrinkled garment up somewhere in your cabin, give it a few spritzes, smooth out the wrinkles, and let it hang until dry.

I don't believe the Pride has launderette onboard.

From Carnival's fact sheet for the Pride:

Self-Service Launderettes

Hours: hours posted on the door to the Launderette

• 2 or 3 washers and 2 or 3 dryers ($)
  • 1 iron and ironing board
  • Vending machines dispense small boxes of detergent and water softener ($)

Locations

Riviera Deck 1 - midship / across from 1219

Main Deck 4 - aft / across from 4230

Upper Deck 5 - aft / across from 5270

Empress Deck 6 - forward / across from 6102

Verandah Deck 7 - midship / across from 7267

Something to keep in mind. The irons in the self serve laundry rooms get used a LOT. I don't know how often they're checked ( or replaced) by a staff member on the ship. Maybe only if a passenger goes to Guest Services and says "The iron in the laundry room on deck ## doesn't work." More than once, on different ships, we've tried to use one that either leaked, or didn't get very hot, or there was something else wrong with it. Your best bet is to pack clothes that are labeled "wrinkle free" (or similar). To eliminate the need for ironing as much as possible, bring a travel size bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release, and put it in a zip lock bag ( in case it leaks ). Hang the wrinkled garment up somewhere in your cabin, give it a few spritzes, smooth out the wrinkles, and let it hang until dry.

I plan on getting some of the wrinkle release spray, may consider ironing in advance based on your suggestions and others. Also maybe if I hang some stuff in the bathroom while showering the steam will get some extra wrinkles out

I plan on getting some of the wrinkle release spray, may consider ironing in advance based on your suggestions and others. Also maybe if I hang some stuff in the bathroom while showering the steam will get some extra wrinkles out

Pity, we liked our experience with the Carnival irons so well we bought one for home. Good luck with wrinkle release and shower methods.

Hello all,

............. I don't want to waste time ironing them before I pack just to have to re iron them once on board.

Rethink this. (Voice of Experience) I always iron the few things that need it before packing. Iron the first day or early the next day to avoid lines. You'll waste less time onboard if you only have to take care of the packing wrinkles.

Look online for ideas on wrinkle free packing could bring things that don't need ironing.

We are cruising for the first time on Carnival in September, previous trips have been on RCCL. RCCL doesn't have self serve laundry facilites, so we have alwasys sent out. I imagine I'll do the same on Carnival. Its just seems so nice to not worry about ANYTHING on a cruise, including laundry. As soon as we unpack, I label the laundry bag and send it out. Funny how someone else doing my laundry makes me feel a little like royalty. LOL.

Started ironing/packing hanging clothes in our garment bag, they don't all fit (also probably would be better off with wire hangers, but I don't have enough for all of our hanging stuff). So it looks like I'm going to be doing some ironing on the ship after all