Emerald Princess to offer full Panama Canal transit in 2019

shipfriend_max

Hello @all,

Due to the winter 2018/19 redeployment regarding some ships Emerald Princess is due to offer a full Panama Canal transit cruise in April/May 2019. As far as I know, the first ship over 100,000 GT.

Caribbean Princess is just doing partial canal transits.

That obviously leads to the fact that Emerald Princess is due to sail Europe in 2019 after that canal transit. She's already listed in Gibraltar in 2019, several dates.

Due to the winter 2018/19 redeployment regarding some ships Emerald Princess is due to offer afull Panama Canal transit cruise in April/May 2019. As far as I know, the first ship over 100,000 GT.

Starting at $146/day/person for an inside cabin, $199/day/person for a balcony. Plus the usual port fees.

I bet they will sell out with this one-of-a-kind itinerary.

Edited by caribill

The last figure for neoPanamax ships that had transit reservations that I saw was around 20. The Canal did not report which ships/cruise lines had reservations or how many of the reservations were for multiple transits by the same ship as in the case of the Caribbean Princess's partial transits. The Canal considers a partial transit the same as a full transit. To my knowledge the first full transit by a neoPanamax will be the Carnival Splendor in January 2018. The Splendor is essentially the same size as the Emerald.

When Emerald transits the Panama and arrives in Fort Lauderdale she will become only the 2nd of the 9 Grand class vessels to have circumnavigated the globe. Sapphire achieves this in April once she transits the Suez on her voyage from Singapore to Great Britain, a voyage I am looking forward to. I was on Emerald as she passed through Suez in September 2016 on the reverse journey. All the other Grand class entered the Pacific by way of Cape Horn.

Hello @all,

Due to the winter 2018/19 redeployment regarding some ships Emerald Princess is due to offer a full Panama Canal transit cruise in April/May 2019. As far as I know, the first ship over 100,000 GT.

Caribbean Princess is just doing partial canal transits.

That obviously leads to the fact that Emerald Princess is due to sail Europe in 2019 after that canal transit. She's already listed in Gibraltar in 2019, several dates.

Wow we have been waiting for a bigger princess ship to go full transit through canal. Do you have any details or is it up on princess website yet. Thanks for the info

Wow we have been waiting for a bigger princess ship to go full transit through canal. Do you have any details or is it up on princess website yet. Thanks for the info

Yeah, it's on the Princess website, open for booking. Cruise starts the 19th of April 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The last figure for neoPanamax ships that had transit reservations that I saw was around 20. The Canal did not report which ships/cruise lines had reservations or how many of the reservations were for multiple transits by the same ship as in the case of the Caribbean Princess's partial transits. The Canal considers a partial transit the same as a full transit. To my knowledge the first full transit by a neoPanamax will be the Carnival Splendor in January 2018. The Splendor is essentially the same size as the Emerald.

I meant Emerald will be the first Princess ship >100,000 GT to fully transit the canal.

The first neoPanmax-ship ever will be Carnival Splendor which fully transits the canal, and sadly, the oversized behemoth monster NCL Bliss will do so as well. [emoji17] so even the Panama Canal loses it's "uniqueness" not to be accessible for such monster liners.

I am glad ships like Grand-Class or Carnival Conquest class may fully transit the canal now, but I wish it was still not accessible for mega ships like NCL Breakaway class.

I meant Emerald will be the first Princess ship >100,000 GT to fully transit the canal.

The first neoPanmax-ship ever will be Carnival Splendor which fully transits the canal, and sadly, the oversized behemoth monster NCL Bliss will do so as well. [emoji17] so even the Panama Canal loses it's "uniqueness" not to be accessible for such monster liners.

I am glad ships like Grand-Class or Carnival Conquest class may fully transit the canal now, but I wish it was still not accessible for mega ships like NCL Breakaway class.

Completely agree with you Max, while I will be looking forward to a trip through the new locks, I think the original locks will hold more appeal to most cruisers... and me too!

Completely agree with you Max, while I will be looking forward to a trip through the new locks, I think the original locks will hold more appeal to most cruisers... and me too!

Yeah, might well be the older locks are more attractive, they are the original ones.

But I'd go on either NeoPanMax or PanMax ship, depends on which ships are sailing.

Luckily due to height restrictions, there's some ships that cannot pass the Panama Canal even after unvieling the new locks - for example, that's all RCI ships over 100,000 GT, as far as I know.

• 2 weeks later...