What can carnival up-sell better

Bllybb758

I believe carnival has a great view on what’s going on. I do however think it’s time for them to bring out a mega cruise ship like their visioned Pinnacle. However let’s be realistic. They cut to many corners for people to want to invest mega bucks. What do you think carnival should change and why?

I personally think they really have to start with cost effectiveness and packages people enroll into at the gate of buying into the cruise. For example: basic which would include no WiFi data (just the basic fun 2.0) with no packages what so ever. Then full blast wifi plan, discounted behind the fun for 2, Cheers!, steakhouse reservations, laundry package (yes I know carnival doesn’t have one), fly2fun significantly discounted, airport transportation, FTTF on Journey cruises for free and last but not least the mid package. The basic WiFi plan the cheers package laundry prepaid card and a discounted ticket to the behind the fun.

Welcome to Cruise Critic Carnival board. It's always interesting to read the comments of newcomers. Thank you for sharing.

I disagree with your thinking. Carnival is a value brand that appeals to passengers seeking great value for their cruise dollars. Carnival's a la carte approach allows passengers to choose what they're willing to pay extra for while still allowing those that don't care about a lot of extras to enjoy low fares. If you haven't been cruising very long, you won't remember that reliable wifi is a fairly recent thing on cruise ships. The technology is still evolving. I don't think "full blast" wifi would be cost effective with the current technology.

That being said, I think Carnival has room for improvement, but it would need to be consistent with it's business model that emphasizes value. I think one of Carnival's strengths is the service they provide at this price point. I agree with some of the others though that their loyalty program has room for improvement. Personally speaking, I'm not interested in mega ships.

I would love to see Carnival have some freebie deals like NCL does.

Free: drink package(pay gratuities part), 3 nights specialty dining, 3/4 person cruise free, excursion credit each port, wifi package.

Pick 1 for inside, 2 for ocean view or balcony

All of them for suites

Karen

In my experience for the cruises I want to do, the prices are exactly the same on carnival when you add the items you want versus the so called free at sea promo. I didn't think NCL was all that much nicer to warrant the pricing and the rooms are smaller. I don't ever sail out of FL though so the cruise fares are always higher. This is my experience and I'm sure others will comment.

• 2 months later...
In my experience for the cruises I want to do, the prices are exactly the same on carnival when you add the items you want versus the so called free at sea promo. I didn't think NCL was all that much nicer to warrant the pricing and the rooms are smaller. I don't ever sail out of FL though so the cruise fares are always higher. This is my experience and I'm sure others will comment.

Sometimes it’s waved so that they still make that funding

I agree w/ some of the comments. Better suite perks (all you get is more room and priority boarding... compare to other cruiseline suite perks w/ a dedicated lounge w free drinks, a concierge, free internet etc). I know Carnival suites are less expensive than MOST but I'd like to see that experienced upgraded even at an "upgraded cost.

Also better loyalty club perks. Again, a dedicated lounge for Platinum and up instead of merely a cocktail party, free specialty coffees, champagne tea, complimentary internet, pressing, laundry. Even complimentary beverage packages at the highest level. Maybe not all of the above but SOME of them?

I agree w/ some of the comments. Better suite perks (all you get is more room and priority boarding... compare to other cruiseline suite perks w/ a dedicated lounge w free drinks, a concierge, free internet etc). I know Carnival suites are less expensive than MOST but I'd like to see that experienced upgraded even at an "upgraded cost.

Also better loyalty club perks. Again, a dedicated lounge for Platinum and up instead of merely a cocktail party, free specialty coffees, champagne tea, complimentary internet, pressing, laundry. Even complimentary beverage packages at the highest level. Maybe not all of the above but SOME of them?

Agree with all you’ve said here except cost. Both RCCL and NCL have Junior/Mini Suites where you get better perks for less than what Carnival sells as a full suite. Most of these rooms are nicer too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the single best thing Carnival CORP could do for itself and its customers is establish a loyalty program across its lines.

OMG- THIS!!! Carnival Corp seriously needs this. Make the loyalty program corporation wide. Hubby and I were just talking about this.

I think the single best thing Carnival CORP could do for itself and its customers is establish a loyalty program across its lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is already in progress under the new Loyalty program.

I doubt that there is a price point where that wouldn't either cannibalize current revenue too much or upset passengers because it offers what they consider too little benefit.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

• 3 months later...
If you want an example of a "rolling" loyalty programme in action have a look at the P&O Baltic and Lingurian tiers. Seems to work fine even though I won't get out of Caribbean until I retire.

There are predecessors who are doing it right. Just carnival needs to push into it.