Question for those who have used RomeinLimos

WendyD

I am looking a booking an excursion with them for Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano and a question I had was how do the tickets work for entrance into Pompeii? I asked them the question and they said you get them on site. Just wondering if that means you have to wait in long lines to get them, which limits the time at the site. Also, we want to get a guide at the site. Looking for people that have had experience on this excursion and if you would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Haven't toured with RIL, but I can tell you that the lines tend to move pretty quickly at Pompeii and often aren't that long. Most tour groups have a leader who goes to a special line. Plus, there are three different entrances to the site -- perhaps you can discuss with your driver to drop you off at one of the less-used entrances. (The entrance by Porta Marina is considered the main entrance; it's the one closest to the Circumvesuviana train station.)

Many people find a guide useful, especially if you will only have a short time at the site. Are you planning to arrange one through RIL? If your plan is to pick up one at the site, then you probably SHOULD plan to go to the Porta Marina entrance, where there's a better chance of connecting with one.

There's also an audioguide option, if you prefer.

The official website has a lot of good info including a downloadable map and a guide in English: http://www.pompeiisites.org/Sezione.jsp?titolo=MAPS+AND+GUIDE&idSezione=6796

I am looking a booking an excursion with them for Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano and a question I had was how do the tickets work for entrance into Pompeii? I asked them the question and they said you get them on site. Just wondering if that means you have to wait in long lines to get them, which limits the time at the site. Also, we want to get a guide at the site. Looking for people that have had experience on this excursion and if you would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Have them arrange a guide to meet you at the site. The guide will help you get your tickets. We arrived about the time the gate opened so no lines. Get there before the tour buses and to avoid the heat later in the day.

You can have the driver go to the Anfiteatro entrance first, where there is almost never any line at all, pick up your tickets there and then proceed to the Porta Marina entrance where you can join a small group with a guide. If you want a private guide you can have them meet you at the Anfiteatro entrance/exit.