Credit limit for teens/kids?

Cafedumonde

I was able to set a daily limit on my son's S&S card last year using the kiosk, but not sure if the system has been changed since then. The disadvantage was that I had to set it every morning, but it wasn't too much trouble. He brought $200 to spend on board so on our 5-day, it came out to $40/day. Had to get some help from guest services at first, but once they explained it, I was able to do it from the kiosk each morning. In order to do it, I had to set the first day at $40, the second day at $80, third day at $120, fourth day at $160, and last day at $200.

Or you can set a total limit for the entire cruise if you want them to budget their own daily spending.

You "set a limit" by limiting what you put on their cards. There is no way to load a lump sum amount on their card and then have the system automatically cut it off after a certain amount has been spent daily. You can go to the kiosk and set a limit, then it increase it daily. That's how you do it. May sound tedious but it's really not that big of a deal. I do wish; however, that you could load a lump sum dollar amount and then have spending cut off after a certain amount was spent without you having to do anything else. Not possible.

That arcade got us once. I've learned since. ;)

ETA: I don't think this will work if you use a credit card though. Not sure. We always use cash and gift cards.

You "set a limit" by limiting what you put on their cards. There is no way to load a lump sum amount on their card and then have the system automatically cut it off after a certain amount has been spent daily. You can go to the kiosk and set a limit, then it increase it daily. That's how you do it. May sound tedious but it's really not that big of a deal. I do wish; however, that you could load a lump sum dollar amount and then have spending cut off after a certain amount was spent without you having to do anything else. Not possible.

ETA: I don't think this will work if you use a credit card though. Not sure. We always use cash and gift cards.

I think its the same with Credit Cards, as I remember that my DD's each had their own money, say $50 to spend. I was not able to go to guest services as say can this $50 go on this card and this $50 on this card. As I had authourity over the account it all went to mine and I was only able to say they have access to $50, and that it.

Therefore DD's gave me the cash and at the end of the cruise I gave them back whatever was left from their $50.

Therefore if you don't put a limit on, they have free access to your credit card or whatever cash you put into your account.

I think its the same with Credit Cards, as I remember that my DD's each had their own money, say $50 to spend. I was not able to go to guest services as say can this $50 go on this card and this $50 on this card. As I had authourity over the account it all went to mine and I was only able to say they have access to $50, and that it.

Therefore DD's gave me the cash and at the end of the cruise I gave them back whatever was left from their $50.

Therefore if you don't put a limit on, they have free access to your credit card or whatever cash you put into your account.

This sounds more like it DOESN'T work the same as a cash account for the parents in which if they use cash, they can transfer over what they want the kids to have available to spend. This allows them to still have charging privileges but with only a certain amount daily - whatever you add to their cards.

With a credit card funded s&s for the parents, there is no way to limit what they spend without not allowing charging privileges at all. I know my kids like buying their own shakes, etc. and signing the receipts. They also like the arcade, so I will never fund with a credit card since you can't limit spending at all.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

On my last cruise I was able to set a spending limit through the kiosk. This was in February on the magic. Once it hit that limit, my teen couldn't spend anymore. I've done this on all our cruises after I saw how much my son spent in two hours in the arcade on our first cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is a good way to teach budgeting. Give them a set amount, tell them how much they should spend daily, and if they use it all up on day one...oh well....bet they won't do that the next time!
Yup. And that's one reason why we do not stop charging privileges. We give them what they can spend for 2 or 3 days at a time and then it's up to them what they do. Blow it all on day one or two, oh well. Only once did it blow up in my son's face. Going on his 5th cruise in a few weeks. He's learned how to handle his spending - especially in that arcade. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but in my post above, I explained how I was able to do just that.

My son brought $200 to spend on board. I put all $200 on his S&S card. The first day, I set his limit at $40 and it stopped him at that amount. The second day, I again set it to $40, but he kept getting insufficient fund errors in the arcade, so I went to guest services. Come to find out, you have to add the previous day's amount to the current day's desired limit. He spent $40 on day 1 and I wanted another $40 limit on day 2...so set the day 2 limit at $80. And so on. All done at a kiosk.

Following this thread as I will be trying to do the same thing with our 3 teens on our 8/19/17 cruise. I want them to budget their own "vacation money" for the whole week and am giving them a mix of credit that they can charge on their S&S cards, and a little bit of cash in case they see something they want to buy in port.