Cancel/Insurance question

cruizergal70

We are about 70 days out from our cruise. My travel companion and I have both fully paid for the trip. However, my travel companion may have to cancel. I still want to go alone.

Will travel insurance with cancellation coverage cover my travel partner's part of the trip? Or would I have to pay for both of us in order to take the cruise? I know my companion won't be a no show and will try to officially cancel and get as much refund as possible.

Your travel companion can only get a refund from their insurance IF the reason for the cancellation is a covered reason like illness. It cannot just be that they've decided not to go.

IF the reason is not covered then they will only get port taxes refunded which is a tiny amount and it would be better for them to just be a no show as you may then have to pay more for your cabin.

Your travel companion can only get a refund from their insurance IF the reason for the cancellation is a covered reason like illness. It cannot just be that they've decided not to go.

IF the reason is not covered then they will only get port taxes refunded which is a tiny amount and it would be better for them to just be a no show as you may then have to pay more for your cabin.

At about 70 days out they would still get more than the port taxes refunded. Depending on the length of the cruise and when the cancellation is made they could get back everything but their deposit. If it is for a covered reason then they would file for the amount not refunded.

If they OP also has insurance they might get the single supplement covered if that is in their policy. But usually the only way that is covered is if the cancellation is for a covered reason.

Not knowing who they purchased insurance from and if both of them are insured there is no way of knowing if they would have the single supplement covered. If it isn't covered they would be responsible for the cruise fare for 2 people if they decide to go. Or they could cancel and also lose their deposit.

It maybe possible to find a person to take the place of the cancelling person. The insurance and cancelation question depends on the type of insurance and the justification for cancelling. Before doing anything, the OP needs read and understand the insurance policy.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo