BCN airport "industrial action"

jruben18

... in this case it's much simpler: the post by Bru92, which I don't doubt has been posted in good faith, contains obsolete information. And about the source mentioned, well, I'm not sure if Bru92 is aware of that particular paper's reputation, or maybe he is, I don't know.

... in this case it's much simpler: the post by Bru92, which I don't doubt has been posted in good faith, contains obsolete information. And about the source mentioned, well, I'm not sure if Bru92 is aware of that particular paper's reputation, or maybe he is, I don't know.

So please give us the real up to date information. And thank you for all the time you take in doing this for all of us. Seem to be no fake news coming from you. Again, Thanks.

Latest... post #19 :)

And the mediator is to be officially instituted tomorrow (21st): http://www.viaempresa.cat/economia/marcos-pena-mediador-eulen-el-prat_50938_102.html so the conflict is in its way to be resolved, one way or another.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the timings though. I'll post when I know but I wouldn't think this will go on for more than a couple of weeks... during which the minimum level of service continues to be at 90% anyway, should the workers decide return to strike (note they paused it after the terrorist attacks)

Edited by EnricM

EnricM, please continue to update with any news. We are leaving the States on Sunday evening and will arrive Barcelona on Monday, 28 Aug.! And by the way, I have read many of your posts and appreciate your wealth of information and it's authenticity!

The mediator has reunited today (Aug 23rd) with both sides, an expected resolution is due on Wed next week at the latest. The resolution will be compulsory for both sides, without any chance to be appealed. It's all that has come out, speculating beyond that would be unfruitful at this time.

In any case, once more I insist, that the service at the security checks at the airport is at 90% so queues should be far less than two weeks ago. But then you are arriving, not departing, so this conflict shouldn't be affecting you on Monday, it's ONLY the security checks that are affected, which one only goes through when flying out, not flying in.

Thanks for the praise :)... I try to share knowledge and experience as it is.

I'm currently scheduled to fly out of BCN on Sept 17. I'm a little confused by all the back and forth regarding the situation. Is the Sept 17th action mentioned earlier off the table?

At a minimum, can anyone advise how early I should plan to arrive at the airport for my 10:40 am flight?

(I am staying at a hotel, not coming from a cruise, so leaving early is not a problem. Just need to get a handle on the recommended timing.)

I'm currently scheduled to fly out of BCN on Sept 17. I'm a little confused by all the back and forth regarding the situation. Is the Sept 17th action mentioned earlier off the table?

At a minimum, can anyone advise how early I should plan to arrive at the airport for my 10:40 am flight?

(I am staying at a hotel, not coming from a cruise, so leaving early is not a problem. Just need to get a handle on the recommended timing.)

Bumping this in hopes EnricM will see it. I leave tomorrow on my trip. Any news on the situation? And on potential issues on Sept 17?

I read in one article to get to the airport SIX hours before flight time :eek:

I also fly back the day after our cruise on the 17th and was wondering the same thing. I have tried searching and nothing new has shown since they put the strike on hold after the attacks. I havent seen anything that says 6 hours ahead and not sure what arriving that early will do since I'm not sure you can even drop your check baggage earlier than 4 hours ( I could be wrong as it wont be the first) before flight.

That's totally absurd. Don't believe all you read, especially in foreign sensationalist tabloids, better stick to serious reputable sources: http://www.bbc.co.uk, http://www.reuters.com, http://www.afp.com, etc.

Firstly, check in counters open 2-3h (depending on the company) before the flight is due to take off, so it's quite absurd to arrive much earlier than that.

Secondly, PLEASE READ CAREFULLY the posts I've previously published: there's NO SECURITY CHECK for the flights INTO Barcelona, or any other airport for that matter -that you do at your airport of origin!-, you only have to go thru a security check on your DEPARTURE.

Since Aug17th there haven't been "major" problems although queues have been sporadic. Last week I flew for a meeting to Milan and it took me literally 15' to pass thru the security check, however, this Tuesday, on another flight to Madrid, it took me nearly 45'. Having said that, a handful of passengers in two very early flights to North Africa lost their flights as it was reported on the TV news later that day.

As per the evolution on the negotiations' front:

Today, Aug 31st, the resolution by the mediator has been officially presented to the parts. The company will announce, probably tomorrow, that they accept the result; the workers will have their say on Monday. This is a compulsory resolution so, in theory, both parts must comply with it.

I would think by the end of next Monday, Sep 4th, a definitive answer to your questions should be available.

@Brenda, yes, you are correct. In any case, I insist: your inward flight is not affected by security checks!... you do those only at the airport of origin.

Thank you Eric and yes I know, but good to be prepared for what we may see or walk into just the same. Plus, we do have to fly home eventually and as of right now our date was not on the list so hope that part stays the same. Actually I hope it's all settled before too long for everyone's sake.

Brenda

• 2 weeks later...
@Brenda, yes, you are correct. In any case, I insist: your inward flight is not affected by security checks!... you do those only at the airport of origin.

EnricM. Thanks for all your good info. We expect to be in Barcelona the end Nov. so if there is anything new about this please post it. Great work and thanks again. ;);):)

I flew home from BCN on Sunday (9/17); it was all quite easy. No significant lines at any point, just the normal amount of waiting. I arrived at the airport for my US-bound flight 3 hours in advance of flight time, and I was at my gate within an hour of arrival. Only hiccup -- I was selected for additional screening at the gate. Oh joys of modern travel....

We also flew from BCN on Sunday 9/17 (flight was at 10:10am) to head home and we had literally no wait to check our luggage and get our tickets printed and then we proceeded to security and it was minimal wait. I've waited a lot longer at our home airport DIA using TSA precheck then here. Passport control after security was only 2 people in front of us so no wait there. We waited a lot longer for our gate for our flight to be posted than we did from start of check in to getting through passport control LOL.