Harvey Remnants

tyeomans

My analysis of the chatter: Harvey should be a TS soon and it is slowing down, which for galveston would be a greater chance of a higher storm surge. My recommendation again at this point (I'm just a weather enthusiast) is to have a plan B for NOT PARKING in Galveston. (Though you may not be better off parking in Houston unless you can find elevated parking)

Latest NHC forecast: points (link to follow) this includes Galveston:

1) hurricane by Friday

2) storm surge of 4-6 feet (includes Galveston)

3) heavy rain as early as Friday

4) up to 20 inches of rain through Tuesday

ETA: Calhoun County just issued a voluntary evacuation. (Between galveston and corpus christi, but closer to the latter)

Link: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT4+shtml/232036.shtml

Edited by spleenstomper

Please continue to share what you're seeing in forecasts. Thanks! It's way more than many of us see on local feeds. I'm not cruising this weekend, but I do have a trip to NOLA planned for Labor Day weekend and don't want to fly into a mess. Not to mention the latest you shared shows Harvey bending northeastward into my area of the country.

Thanks so much, spleenstomper!

No problem. Harvey is a real head scratcher. The latest run has it going to Brownsville, Texas BUT BUT BUT that was one model and one run of that model.

It also seems to be getting bigger and stronger and there is a lot of water vapor in the Gulf that it will bring up, so it almost doesn't matter where it lands.

There is still going to be a lot of rain for a lot of people on the gulf coast from Harvey.

I will continue to post relevant links of things I am reading that will explain these comments.

Again, I am just someone who is fascinated by weather and am more or less relaying the chatter I am reading in different places. *I am NOT a weather professional! Lol**

Just got off the phone with Carnival regarding Saturdays departure from Galveston. At this time, they are not anticipating any trouble. I asked about possibly relocating to New Orleans for departure, and they do not anticipate that. If this does happen, we will know by noon tomorrow. The only thing that they have considered at this moment is to port out at 2 pm on Saturday instead of 4 pm.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Levi from Tropical Tidbits just made a new video talking about Harvey.

Link:

Keep the updates coming. We won't hold you to anything, but certainly appreciate all the links and info you share. We know it's all shared in good faith. Stay safe!

Just got off the phone with Carnival regarding Saturdays departure from Galveston. At this time, they are not anticipating any trouble. I asked about possibly relocating to New Orleans for departure, and they do not anticipate that. If this does happen, we will know by noon tomorrow. The only thing that they have considered at this moment is to port out at 2 pm on Saturday instead of 4 pm.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

That is the correct answer at the moment given that the storm is so far away right now. It was the only answer they could give you.

Here's our latest on Harvey:

-National Weather Service wrote it ‘Takes Aim’ at U.S.

-Four major airlines have now issued travel waivers;

-‘Torrential’ Rain in the forecast;

-Hurricane Watches issued, could form by Friday.

Thanks for the information about the airline waivers. I hadn't read that before you posted.

Sailed Carnival Breeze During Tropical Storm Franklin this month. They changed our itinerary but we made all ports in a different order. I always take over the counter sea sick pills daily ( I get very seasick with out pills) & I felt great the entire trip but some people were sick( sea sick bags in hallway ;p) Definitely not the roughest sea I've ever been in. Would definitely take some type of sea sick pill "Bonnie?" We had 1200+ kids on board...school hadn't started & everyone still had fun even with the extra rain. Everyone very unhappy with internet but the storm was around Yucatán Peninsula and I think that was part of the problem. "Since the well being of my guest & crew is my top priority, please feel confident the ship is operating at a safe distance from the storm at all times." Quote from Carnival Breeze Captain Massimo Marino's letter we were given with changes to our port days. I have been on ships that left hours early, on time and a day late due to weather, follow Carnival's updates! I would park a car in parking garage at hotel with multistory parking garage. I would take a SUV or Truck vs a low car...Houston can have a foot or two of water in some areas or more during hard downpours and the big / higher vehicles do better! Allow for lots of extra time, try to come early. Keep Carnival's 800 # & call if you experience any travel delay. Houston is very flat & at sea level so flooding is a problem. Stay safe & wishing everyone a safe trip into Houston.