Harvey Remnants

tyeomans

Let's be real. This weekend's cruises are cancelled. If they aren't, it will require a reroute elsewhere and not everyone will be able to make it. They will likely issue full refunds.

I think they will re-route the ships to other ports. They have to get the people off of the ships somehow, somewhere. Charter bus and air companies will be reaping the harvest.

If this storm continues as projected, I can see ships being diverted to NOLA and maybe Mobile, depending on availability of dock space at the time. If there's massive flooding in Galveston, it may be a week or more before it is able to receive ships. Is the Houston terminal still a thing? Maybe they can shovel the moth balls off of that white elephant and press it into service in a pinch. It was a glittering palace of cruising excess in it's day.

Mobile could take Valor or Freedom; Breeze would have to go to NOLA. There are other ports they could put into use if they had to like Gulfport.

Carnival website:

HURRICANE HARVEY

Weather Update #2 – 08/24/17 – 2:30 PM (EST)

Tropical Storm Harvey has now been upgraded to a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico and the Port of Galveston is now closed to all marine traffic. At this time, no changes have been made to any of our Galveston sailings for this weekend and our itineraries remain as scheduled.

We will continue to closely monitor Hurricane Harvey’s forecasted track and provide guests with an update by 12:00 PM (CDT) tomorrow.

To stay up to date on any changes, guests are asked to sign up for text alerts by texting the codes below to CRUISE (278473).

Carnival Freedom 08/26/17 - CCL1

Carnival Valor 08/26/17 - CCL2

Carnival Breeze 08/27/17 - CCL3

Carnival needs to step up and be proactive for its customers. The port of Galveston is closed. The hurricane is expected to make landfall early Saturday morning. Once it hits it will stay around for a couple days. The port will not open Saturday and may not be open for several days. Why keep people waiting when you know there is a 99.9% chance the scheduled weekend cruises will not be going out. Go ahead and cancel now as you have absolutely nothing to gain that is positive by continuing to wait. They will gain more positivity by being proactive. In addition this will allow them to put all there focus on how to get there ships and guests currently out in sea back safely. Personally those ships may be out in sea for days as they just can't drop people off in NO or mobile and leave them. They will have to provide ground transportation back to Galveston which they may not be able to get to. For carnival sake just step up and cancel upcoming cruises as it can only compound your future issue of getting ships back to port.

Carnival needs to step up and be proactive for its customers. The port of Galveston is closed. The hurricane is expected to make landfall early Saturday morning. Once it hits it will stay around for a couple days. The port will not open Saturday and may not be open for several days. Why keep people waiting when you know there is a 99.9% chance the scheduled weekend cruises will not be going out. Go ahead and cancel now as you have absolutely nothing to gain that is positive by continuing to wait. They will gain more positivity by being proactive. In addition this will allow them to put all there focus on how to get there ships and guests currently out in sea back safely. Personally those ships may be out in sea for days as they just can't drop people off in NO or mobile and leave them. They will have to provide ground transportation back to Galveston which they may not be able to get to. For carnival sake just step up and cancel upcoming cruises as it can only compound your future issue of getting ships back to port.

I just don't see them doing that. If I had to guess, they divert 2 ships to NOLA and one to Mobile. They make arrangements for everyone who got off. They let everyone that was suppose to leave from Galveston know they can meet the ship at Nola or Mobile and take the cruise for 25-50% off or receive a 100% refund. They want that ship to set sail from somewhere. They don't want it docked anywhere for too long.

I just don't see them doing that. If I had to guess, they divert 2 ships to NOLA and one to Mobile. They make arrangements for everyone who got off. They let everyone that was suppose to leave from Galveston they can meet the ship at Nola or Mobile and take the cruise for 25-50% off

As someone who is suppose to sail on the Freedom Friday... I take your option!! [emoji6][emoji31]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think they will re-route the ships to other ports. They have to get the people off of the ships somehow, somewhere. Charter bus and air companies will be reaping the harvest.

New Orleans is in danger of flooding and they also have ships coming in this weekend.

Where will carnival get busses? Hotels in Mobile? For how long? Logistically impossible.

I just don't see them doing that. If I had to guess, they divert 2 ships to NOLA and one to Mobile. They make arrangements for everyone who got off. They let everyone that was suppose to leave from Galveston know they can meet the ship at Nola or Mobile and take the cruise for 25-50% off or receive a 100% refund. They want that ship to set sail from somewhere. They don't want it docked anywhere for too long.

What do you suggest they do with everyone they have to bus back to Galveston and you can't get there? They going to make them sleep on a bus? There won't be hotels available anywhere close by nor do I think they have the ability logistically to get hotel rooms for hundreds of people in a timely, orderly fashion.

New Orleans is in danger of flooding and they also have ships coming in this weekend.

Where will carnival get busses? Hotels in Mobile? For how long? Logistically impossible.

New Orleans is the only option for the Carnival Breeze if they want to get guests off. The only other option they have, I believe, is stay at sea for possible multiple days until Galveston port reopens

What do you suggest they do with everyone they have to bus back to Galveston and you can't get there? They going to make them sleep on a bus? There won't be hotels available anywhere close by nor do I think they have the ability logistically to get hotel rooms for hundreds of people in a timely, orderly fashion.

You need not fret. Carnival knows what they're doing. They plan for disasters like this. I was just making my best educated guess based on what I've seen them do in the past.

Great points, spleenstomper. With the storm lingering over roughly the same coastal area over the weekend and forecast to dump copious amounts of rain there, and then forecast to slowly move northeastward toward Louisiana, it's difficult to imagine how close alternate ports will be in any better shape to accommodate additional passengers. It seems like at this point Carnival is buying time to weigh options and make arrangements. I wouldn't be surprised if passengers already onboard aren't held onboard beyond the scheduled end of their cruises.

Not blaming Carnival though. No doubt they are doing their best to make the best of a bad weather situation to keep everyone safe.

I can only imagine how rocky the water is in the Gulf right now. I feel sorry for those onboard now prone to seasickness. This is part of cruising though. Weather happens. Thank goodness Carnival has a great track record in these types of weather situations. I know it must be increasingly stressful for people trying to get to their upcoming cruises this weekend. Best wishes to everyone.

Well dang, we leave out of NOLA on Monday and are concerned about returning! Dang thing is supposed to come back into the Gulf on Tuesday and head towards NOLA! And if it's going to do that I don't see anyway Galveston is going to be open before Wednesday or later. Maybe the ships can go to NOLA on Sunday or late Sat. after the Dream leaves and be gone by the time the Triumph comes in Monday? What a cluster that is going to be! Glad I am flying in Sat!

Well dang, we leave out of NOLA on Monday and are concerned about returning! Dang thing is supposed to come back into the Gulf on Tuesday and head towards NOLA! And if it's going to do that I don't see anyway Galveston is going to be open before Wednesday or later. Maybe the ships can go to NOLA on Sunday or late Sat. after the Dream leaves and be gone by the time the Triumph comes in Monday? What a cluster that is going to be! Glad I am flying in Sat!

This storm hasn't been predictable at all but for now, I wouldn't worry about your trip leaving from Nola. Also, Nola has two docks so the Breeze and Dream could be docked concurrently on Sunday

Having sailed out of Mobile, NOLA and Galveston I feel sorry for those currently on the ships out of Galveston. The parking out in Galveston is only a few feet above sea level. Most of the cars will be flooded and then what do they do. Carnival did not create this problem the port of Galveston did..

Having sailed out of Mobile, NOLA and Galveston I feel sorry for those currently on the ships out of Galveston. The parking out in Galveston is only a few feet above sea level. Most of the cars will be flooded and then what do they do. Carnival did not create this problem the port of Galveston did..

The port created the problem?? Elaborate?

I went on a 3 day Carnival Cruise to "nowhere" about 7 years ago because the ship coming in couldn't get into Galveston due to weather (and in turn couldn't leave at it's scheduled time). The outbound cruise was supposed to be a 4 day cruise to Cozumel. Carnival chose at that time to postpone the start of the 4 cruise to the next day and make it a 3 day cruise. It didn't stop at any ports, but my point being...it still went out even though it was a day late. I guess that's a possibility for those cruises that are supposed to leave on Saturday.

We went with you! It was around July 4th on the Carnival Ecstasy. We walked on for $310 for both of us and had a three day cruise to nowhere.

You need not fret. Carnival knows what they're doing. They plan for disasters like this. I was just making my best educated guess based on what I've seen them do in the past.

This is different than any storm they have dealt with in recent years. There best bet is to cancel this weekends cruises and worry how they will get the current cruisers back. The longer they wait the harder it gets.

I'm watching the latest on ABC evening news now. They are showing the latest is the storm turning back out towards the Gulf after inundating Texas coastal areas with rain and 12 foot storm surge, and yes, count 'em, dumping 25 to 35 inches of rain as it heads toward Louisiana next.

Thoughts and prayers to everyone in this storm's path. Stay safe and make good decisions.

If my cruise was this weekend anywhere near this area, I'd be cancelling now. I have reservations to spend Labor Day weekend in NOLA, and there is no way I'm flying into that.

Best wishes to those living in these areas. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Stay safe.