Harvey Remnants

tyeomans

There will be die hard cruisers, wading through evacuation traffic, headed to the port. They will not be denied, under any circumstances. LOL

There will be inexperienced cruisers that will try to come. But if the port is closed they won't be allowed to enter. They will be turned away and have to find hotels or lodging elsewhere.

Here's a really good no nonsense weather guy. I think Saturday is a wash but Sunday is looking like a good possibility.

https://spacecityweather.com/harvey-late-night-some-final-thursday-thoughts/

I think Saturday is a wash but Sunday is looking like a good possibility. But emptying and loading 3 ships in one terminal could be a big challenge.

Well they picked the parking locations in referring to the parking and parking only!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey Chief

Were you a blue hulled Barnie or another brown water sailor:D

I JK

But I don't blame port of Galveston for Parking issues in cases like this

A business owner buys said property and turns it into a parking facility

The city of Galveston approves the business licenses

The owner of said property buys insurance hoping it will never be used

This situation sucks for everyone concerned

I am currently in SFO but My GF is in HOU

She is freaking out because I cant be there to help her during this crisis

I'm a Corpsman I fix everyone but sometimes I cant

We also sail out on the Breeze next Sunday will I be able to fly in next week?

Here's a really good no nonsense weather guy. I think Saturday is a wash but Sunday is looking like a good possibility.

I think Saturday is a wash but Sunday is looking like a good possibility. But emptying and loading 3 ships in one terminal could be a big challenge.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a wash". But that blog seems Houston-specific and doesn't take the storm surge into account.

Hey Chief

Were you a blue hulled Barnie or another brown water sailor:D

I JK

But I don't blame port of Galveston for Parking issues in cases like this

A business owner buys said property and turns it into a parking facility

The city of Galveston approves the business licenses

The owner of said property buys insurance hoping it will never be used

This situation sucks for everyone concerned

I am currently in SFO but My GF is in HOU

She is freaking out because I cant be there to help her during this crisis

I'm a Corpsman I fix everyone but sometimes I cant

We also sail out on the Breeze next Sunday will I be able to fly in next week?

I was a black hull sailor!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NHC confirms Hurricane Harvey and that it is moving NNW:

Hurricane Harvey Tropical Cyclone Update

NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL092017

1200 PM CDT Thu Aug 24 2017

...HARVEY STRENGTHENS TO A HURRICANE WITH 80-MPH WINDS...

Data from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate

that Harvey has intensified to a hurricane, with maximum sustained

winds of 80 mph (130 km/h).

A Special Advisory will be issued by 1 PM CDT (1800 UTC) in lieu

of the intermediate advisory to update the intensity forecast.

SUMMARY OF 1200 PM CDT...1700 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...24.3N 93.5W

ABOUT 340 MI...550 KM SE OF CORPUS CHRISTI TEXAS

ABOUT 335 MI...540 KM SSE OF PORT OCONNOR TEXAS

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...80 MPH...130 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 335 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...981 MB...28.97 INCHES

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Category 2 now with all Likelihood of a category 3 by land fall. 35 inches of rain, port is closed. You will not sail from Galveston. Do not fly there and do not drive there. It's not safe. As a person from MS that saw the devastation of Katrina, I would not even consider making my way to Galveston. Hopefully carnival will do the right thing and cancel this cruise and issue everyone a full refund. For those of you that live near the coast of Texas , stay safe!! b83688909360ca8616fc88758aa2c42e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Latest developments

-- Harvey strengthened early Friday, becoming a Category 2 hurricane with winds up to 105 mph, according to the National Weather Service.

Copied directly from CNN.com

-- Isolated tornadoes are possible across portions of the middle and upper Texas coast on Friday, the service said.

-- Texas Governor Greg Abbott has requested 700 National Guard members to be activated.

-- The Ports of Corpus Christi and Galveston are closed.

-- Three Galveston-based cruise ships in the Gulf of Mexico diverted to safer water.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Just read on CNN what we all already knew. They have diverted the 3 cruise ships based out of Galveston to safer waters.

Did they say where they diverted them or just said "to safer waters"? I am just curious where since Harvey is so big it is affecting the New Orleans port too which is the closest to the Galveston port. Maybe they will hang out at sea for days.

Did they say where they diverted them or just said "to safer waters"? I am just curious where since Harvey is so big it is affecting the New Orleans port too which is the closest to the Galveston port. Maybe they will hang out at sea for days.

Did not say where, just safer waters.

Thanks for the conjecture. I'm tired of people telling us what to do. 35 inches is over the week, first of all. Secondly *if* planes fly in and *if* the port opens and *if* the governor allows people on the roads, then it will be safe enough to go. If all those conditions do not occur, it won't be. Carnival will do the right thing or Carnival will be made to do the right thing. They will not risk a wrongful death lawsuit or bad publicity. The insights by locals is appreciated, but conjecture and telling us *not* to do something is a bit much.

I, like most, realize the dangers and plan to stay away. But as time progresses and more information becomes available and the weather becomes more defined, we will all make the right choices. Very few of us want to put our families, or ourselves, in danger. Realize, for most of us, this vacation is a big deal and we want to look at every option to make the best decision.

Category 2 now with all Likelihood of a category 3 by land fall. 35 inches of rain, port is closed. You will not sail from Galveston. Do not fly there and do not drive there. It's not safe. As a person from MS that saw the devastation of Katrina, I would not even consider making my way to Galveston. Hopefully carnival will do the right thing and cancel this cruise and issue everyone a full refund. For those of you that live near the coast of Texas , stay safe!! b83688909360ca8616fc88758aa2c42e.jpg

Thanks for the conjecture. I'm tired of people telling us what to do. 35 inches is over the week, first of all. Secondly *if* planes fly in and *if* the port opens and *if* the governor allows people on the roads, then it will be safe enough to go. If all those conditions do not occur, it won't be. Carnival will do the right thing or Carnival will be made to do the right thing. They will not risk a wrongful death lawsuit or bad publicity. The insights by locals is appreciated, but conjecture and telling us *not* to do something is a bit much.

I, like most, realize the dangers and plan to stay away. But as time progresses and more information becomes available and the weather becomes more defined, we will all make the right choices. Very few of us want to put our families, or ourselves, in danger. Realize, for most of us, this vacation is a big deal and we want to look at every option to make the best decision.

I don't know, some thought their decisions with the Triumph a few years back were questionable at best.

As a person that lived though Katrina and saw first hand what the governor did not do correctly to keep the people of New Orleans safe, I am only giving my opinion on what everyone booked on these cruise ships should do. With the ship leaving tomorrow, most people would need to leave out today. If the flights are not cancelled and they fly there and then flights are cancelled tomorrow then they are stuck. I am simply giving my opinion as someone that's been though it and I stand by my opinion. Carnival should have already made that decision for the cruise leaving tomorrow and they have not. Last time I checked cruise critic was all about going your opinion on a topic to try and help out the ones reading. If you do not like my opinion, then scroll on.

Edited by angiem0217

I just made of quick check of flights from Houston to Dallas (some with stops, some direct) for tomorrow, 8/26/2017. 50% of the flights are cancelled at this point. Most of the ones that are not cancelled are later in the day. There is a warning for Tropical Storm winds through Tuesday.

I'm not telling anyone what to do but I also do not think Carnival is doing any favors if they wait much longer to announce what will happen for cruisers tomorrow. It isn't going to get "better" that fast unless every single forecast on TV, by the NWS, etc. is wrong.

What the fire?!?!?

If that is the example and you are still sailing with Carnival, I'm baffled. That is an on-the-water emergency that could happen at anytime and if that is a concern, sailing with them seems odd. However, I'm talking about the weather. Everyone fails to mention that Carnival is not the only one that can stop the cruise. The Governor can, the port can, heck the President can. Soooo...if the conditions are that bad, there will be redundant controls to make sure a stupid decision is not made.

I don't know, some thought their decisions with the Triumph a few years back were questionable at best.

What the fire?!?!?

If that is the example and you are still sailing with Carnival, I'm baffled. That is an on-the-water emergency that could happen at anytime and if that is a concern, sailing with them seems odd. However, I'm talking about the weather. Everyone fails to mention that Carnival is not the only one that can stop the cruise. The Governor can, the port can, heck the President can. Soooo...if the conditions are that bad, there will be redundant controls to make sure a stupid decision is not made.

Don't wait for others to make a decision. You can make a decision to pull the plug.

Double-check your insurance for weather-related reimbursement.

Regardless, use it as a chance to teach the kids how to deal with disappointment. That will last them a lifetime.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Forums mobile app