Harvey Remnants

tyeomans

I'm on the Breeze and we are suppose to be returning to Galveston on Sunday. No official announcements have been made.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think I can remember Carnival ever docking a ship during a tropical storm warning. Anyone else remember that ever happening in the past? Weather guys keep saying the storm is basically going to stall out or move slightly northward over the weekend.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/galveston-tx/77550/weather-warnings/331114

What the fire?!?!?

If that is the example and you are still sailing with Carnival, I'm baffled. That is an on-the-water emergency that could happen at anytime and if that is a concern, sailing with them seems odd. However, I'm talking about the weather. Everyone fails to mention that Carnival is not the only one that can stop the cruise. The Governor can, the port can, heck the President can. Soooo...if the conditions are that bad, there will be redundant controls to make sure a stupid decision is not made.

I never said the fire was their fault, but there was the opinion from many that because they were so close to Progresso at the time, they should've had the ship towed back to MX and fly everyone home instead of going through with the poop cruise. Of course the reason they didn't want to do that was $$$. I still sail with Carnival cause a) I like cruising, and b)I know all cruise lines will value their $$$ over customers so I expect it already. That doesn't mean they can't be called out.

Thanks for the conjecture. I'm tired of people telling us what to do. 35 inches is over the week, first of all. Secondly *if* planes fly in and *if* the port opens and *if* the governor allows people on the roads, then it will be safe enough to go. If all those conditions do not occur, it won't be.

I'm sorry you feel like we're all telling you what to do - it's more trying to prepare you for the likelihood that your vacation will be canceled (which sucks).

The 7am update from my favorite local meteorologist: https://spacecityweather.com/the-two-tales-of-harvey-first-winds-then-lots-of-rain/

• For Houston, effects from Harvey’s landfall today and Saturday morning do not appear likely to be dangerous in terms of wind and surge. If you have to work, or make last minute preparations for flooding, there is still time.
  • The outer rain bands will bring precipitation to Houston today and Saturday, but as of now the forecast models show nothing too extreme through at least Saturday afternoon. This is likely the calm before the heavier rains move in later on Saturday night, and then in earnest on Sunday and Monday.
  • The timing and amounts of heavy rain in Houston are not precise. But be prepared for flooding, and tropical deluges from Sunday through Wednesday. Many roads will become impassable. Homes will be flooded. It will be pretty miserable for a lot of people.

Most of the flooding is expected to be south of I-10 (south of IAH).

I just did. And drove 65mph in light rain.

Slow down the panic a little.

The storm is just starting to impact the area. Of course you CAN drive to Galveston. We all CAN have our opinions on the decision making timetable from Carnival, especially regarding tomorrow's sailing. I don't think anyone is in a "panic"; they are talking about what might be best in the situation based on the information that we have.

I'm going to drive to the store and get some beer for the "beer per inch" challenge...but none of what we can do right now changes the fact that there is a major storm out there that threatens to have Tropical Storm force winds through Tuesday in the area of the port and inland towards where I live SW of Houston.

On the Freedom now. Last night they said the Port of Galveston is closed and we'd stay a safe distance away from the hurricane. They're supposed to give another update at noon today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look at the sea scanners, Valor is hanging out off the coast of Progresso and Freedom is hanging out around Cozumel, offshore, right now.

According to the one I check, the ships have not reported their position in for 9 hours 29 minutes and 12 hours 48 minutes, respectively.

I don't think I can remember Carnival ever docking a ship during a tropical storm warning. Anyone else remember that ever happening in the past? Weather guys keep saying the storm is basically going to stall out or move slightly northward over the weekend.

Not for a Galveston sailing or return. After Ike three sailings were moved to the now shuttered Bayport Terminal. There is a limited history of ships waiting it out offshore. Provisions aboard are usually enough for several days.

Based on current forecast models we will have rain over several days, not a blast of a foot in a few hours, that could contribute to limited flooding versus a catastrophe.

If I were to pick a day when ships return I'd guess late Sunday or Monday. But, I'm no meteorologist, and having grown up here doesn't make me an expert.

The Seawall is crowded with lookers and media trucks today. Search Galveston webcams and you can see the gulf, the port and what the channel looks like.

Not for a Galveston sailing or return. After Ike three sailings were moved to the now shuttered Bayport Terminal. There is a limited history of ships waiting it out offshore. Provisions aboard are usually enough for several days.

Based on current forecast models we will have rain over several days, not a blast of a foot in a few hours, that could contribute to limited flooding versus a catastrophe.

If I were to pick a day when ships return I'd guess late Sunday or Monday. But, I'm no meteorologist, and having grown up here doesn't make me an expert.

The Seawall is crowded with lookers and media trucks today. Search Galveston webcams and you can see the gulf, the port and what the channel looks like.

It sounds like you're downplaying this which is nothing short of dangerous.

I am fearing the same thing. I had the same feeling about New Orleans as I was evacuating St George, Fl during Katrina. Watching the news no one seemed too concerned. Days ahead of landfall we were all saying that it had been too long since NOLA had experienced a real hurricane. Same here.

If you are a webcam dork like me, here are some...

Galveston: http://www.saltwater-recon.com/

South Padre: http://www.sopadre.com/about-us/live-webcams/

Me too!

Another link with several different webcams available.

http://www.statesman.com/news/want-see-harvey-for-yourself-here-are-texas-webcams-watch/WoDyf2BOX0KyuEHC8GtY5O/

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Umm... OK, so you can see what precautions I've taken at my home, my business, my family, my pets and the rest. Perfect.

I do see the threats, see the forecast models and have experience of a lifetime that teaches me the dangers and when they are eminent.