Harvey Remnants

tyeomans

The problem is that area is low and floods, can be REALLY hard to get around. Give yourself time to get to port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1) I've called and they refuse to say anything. I even talked to their management.

2) As for getting there..we arrive at 9. That means we have 6 hours to make it. So, I'm not worried about that (pending the flight is on time). But the question is there any chance the roads will be passible?

1) I've called and they refuse to say anything. I even talked to their management.

2) As for getting there..we arrive at 9. That means we have 6 hours to make it. So, I'm not worried about that (pending the flight is on time). But the question is there any chance the roads will be passible?

No possible way officials will let you near the coast

That's my point. Why are they being so secretive. Why can't they put out some guidance without making a definitive decision.

My guess is because they are going to have to cancel and they don't want to do that, so they are sitting on it.

Plus, they have to figure out what to do with the people currently on the ships (Breeze and what, Magic?) so as they said, those people are their first concerns.

Just got this email from Carnival! Still on!!!

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

CARNIVAL FREEDOM

AUGUST 26, 2017

August 24, 2017

Dear Carnival Guest,

We'd like to take a moment to provide you with important information regarding the weather.

We have been keeping a close eye on the track of Tropical Storm Harvey in the Gulf of Mexico. At this time, no changes have been made to your sailing and our itinerary remains as scheduled.

To stay up to date on any changes that may affect our departure, we encourage you to sign up for text alerts by texting CCL1 to CRUISE (278473).

We will continue to monitor the storm's path over the next 24 hours and will provide you with another update tomorrow at 12:00 PM.

Sincerely,

Denese+Waiters+Signature.jpg

Denese Waiters

I'm shocked that Carnival provided that. I tried to pull similar information. I simply asked about protocol and how their thinking works.

Oh - PLEASE STOP WITH THE JIM CANTORE is there. He is an over-rated personality who did great work early in his career but is all about being part of the news. He's been up in my neck of the woods for big 'blizzards' and similar events that didn't happen. He's a chaser. I wouldn't use that as a predictor for anything.

I'm shocked that Carnival provided that. I tried to pull similar information. I simply asked about protocol and how their thinking works.

Oh - PLEASE STOP WITH THE JIM CANTORE is there. He is an over-rated personality who did great work early in his career but is all about being part of the news. He's been up in my neck of the woods for big 'blizzards' and similar events that didn't happen. He's a chaser. I wouldn't use that as a predictor for anything.

Everybody knows that when Jim Cantore shows up, you can kiss your a$$ goodbye. LOL

NHC confirms Hurricane Harvey and that it is moving NNW:

Hurricane Harvey Tropical Cyclone Update

NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL092017

1200 PM CDT Thu Aug 24 2017

...HARVEY STRENGTHENS TO A HURRICANE WITH 80-MPH WINDS...

Data from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate

that Harvey has intensified to a hurricane, with maximum sustained

winds of 80 mph (130 km/h).

A Special Advisory will be issued by 1 PM CDT (1800 UTC) in lieu

of the intermediate advisory to update the intensity forecast.

SUMMARY OF 1200 PM CDT...1700 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...24.3N 93.5W

ABOUT 340 MI...550 KM SE OF CORPUS CHRISTI TEXAS

ABOUT 335 MI...540 KM SSE OF PORT OCONNOR TEXAS

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...80 MPH...130 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 335 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...981 MB...28.97 INCHES

We've had similar situations in the past down here. The Galveston harbor master will close the channel. All you need to do is look at the distance between the jettys from Bolivar to Galveston and how narrow they are and you'll see why. Cat III is the newest forecast.

A ship arriving on Saturday would be here by 7-8am, and with the latest update from NWS it's remains a toss up. If pressed to guess I'd say the docks will be empty on at least Sunday and perhaps Saturday.

A Conquest class ship loose in the channel around those jack up rigs at Bloodworth Shipyard would not be a good thing.

In the next few days four cruise ships will be here, or not...

The current webcam views shows the gulf and channel are really nice. I see a seawall bike ride later tonight.

Recon in storm again. Strengthening.

The storm is a good 12 hours ahead of what NHC forecasted... this could very well be a strong category 3 and possibly a 4 before landfall.

It has a defined eye that is clear now. Rapid intensification storms track poleward. Galveston is in play.

GMZ001-250300- Synopsis for the Gulf of Mexico 1057 AM EDT Thu Aug 24 2017 .SYNOPSIS...Tropical Storm Harvey is centered near 24.0N 93.3W 982 mb at 11 AM EDT, moving N-NW, or 340 degrees at 9 kt. Maximum sustained winds are 55 kt gusting to 65 kt. Harvey is forecast to intensify to hurricane strength near 24.9N 94.2W this evening, near 26.0N 95.3W Fri morning before reaching 27.3N 96.3W Fri night off the coast of Texas, then move inland late Fri night. Harvey will meander inland thereafter, possibly moving back over Gulf coastal waters. $$ GMZ011-250300- NW Gulf including Stetson Bank- 1057 AM EDT Thu Aug 24 2017 HURRICANE WARNING TODAY TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS POSSIBLE. NE to E winds 25 to 30 kt. Seas 8 to 9 ft. Scattered showers. TONIGHT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS EXPECTED. NE to E winds 30 to 35 kt, increasing to 45 to 55 kt late. Seas 13 to 15 ft. Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms. FRI HURRICANE CONDITIONS EXPECTED. E to SE winds 65 to 85 kt. Seas 18 to 23 ft in SE to S swell. Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms. FRI NIGHT HURRICANE CONDITIONS EXPECTED. SE to S winds 65 to 85 kt. Seas 21 to 24 ft in S to SW swell. Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms. SAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS POSSIBLE. S winds 35 to 40 kt, diminishing to 25 to 30 kt in the afternoon. Seas 13 to 16 ft in S swell. SAT NIGHT HURRICANE CONDITIONS POSSIBLE. SUN TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS POSSIBLE. SUN NIGHT HURRICANE CONDITIONS POSSIBLE. MON HURRICANE CONDITIONS POSSIBLE.