enlighten me

youagain

I know ultraviolet light is used to detect counterfeit wine by looking for watermarks or something on the labels and/or UPC codes so maybe they are checking to be sure they aren't actually rum runners? Don't know really, just a guess.

With absolutely no hard facts or inside information to support my two cents, here is my guess:

Either: (1) liquor reacts differently than wine under UV light (perhaps one "glows"?) thus showing whether the bottle actually contains wine or liquor; (2) they are checking the seal on the bottles -- maybe there is UV-light sensitive printing on the seals, making it apparent if the seal has been broken/resealed or maybe those replacement seals don't have UV-sensitive printing?; or (3) UV light may show if any wine has been spilled, then cleaned up on the neck of the bottle, thus indicating the bottle has been tampered with or emptied and refilled?

Or, maybe they just read somewhere that UV light makes wine taste funny and they really don't like people that cruise.

With absolutely no hard facts or inside information to support my two cents, here is my guess:

Either: (1) liquor reacts differently than wine under UV light (perhaps one "glows"?) thus showing whether the bottle actually contains wine or liquor; (2) they are checking the seal on the bottles -- maybe there is UV-light sensitive printing on the seals, making it apparent if the seal has been broken/resealed or maybe those replacement seals don't have UV-sensitive printing?; or (3) UV light may show if any wine has been spilled, then cleaned up on the neck of the bottle, thus indicating the bottle has been tampered with or emptied and refilled?

Or, maybe they just read somewhere that UV light makes wine taste funny and they really don't like people that cruise.

All of the above sounds plausible...even the funny tasting wine [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

(1) liquor reacts differently than wine under UV light (perhaps one "glows"?) thus showing whether the bottle actually contains wine or liquor

I don't know about all liquor but I know for a fact (from an illbegotten past in discos in the 80's!!) that gin does fluoresce under a blue light, so this explanation seems plausible.

It could be a way to check if it's something other than wine, since you're not allowed to bring other types of alcohol on board.

That would also include dangerous and flamable liquid that would go BOOM.

;p With 45 cruises on Carnival the last one in May of this year we never had them scan a bottle of wine in my back pack.

WE always bring 2 bottles on board. They did how ever take one out one time to look at it and put it back.:cool:

Thank for informative answers.I as said am just curious as it sounds funny to put so much effort into scanning wine .
Have you seen the prices for liquor aboard ship? Filling a $10 bottle of wine with whiskey saves the passenger/costs the cruise line over $60 in revenue, at a minimum. That's the same as someone walking out with a full set of towels.