Is the dress code for Celebrity different if sailing from Southampton?

poole

I have heard that the dress code for "formal" nights is more strict if sailing from Southampton. Is this true?

Hello,

No...it's not true. First, Celebrity no longer has formal nights...Second, the dress code is the same for all Celebrity ships, regardless of where they sail from. I have read on here that folks have reported seeing more "dressy" attire when sailing from Southampton...but that doesn't mean a more strict dress code is enforced. I certainly didn't notice any difference when sailing from Southampton, as opposed to other ports of embarkation...but then, I don't take notice of other people's manner of dress.;)

Enjoy your cruise.

BBL

You have probably heard that European itineraries and colder itineraries are more formal....and from my experience I have found this to be somewhat true.

If your cruise is also longish that will affect the formal dress on board.

I sailed with Celebrity in the Med 2 years ago and although the dress has changed slightly since then we found it to be a more formally dressed cruise as a whole due to the ship's elegance.

We sailed on a Princess cruise from Southampton last month. Princess still has formal nights, although it has relaxed the requirements somewhat. I wore a sports coat, dress slacks, dress shirt, and tie. My outfit was in the middle of what I observed in the dining room (second seating traditional). Some men made it with a jacket but without a tie. Some had on a dress shirt and tie without a jacket. Many wore suit and tie. A slim minority wore tuxedos. And with a few, you'd never would have known it was a dress-up night. They were still allowed in.

We find that the British make a bit more effort when they can drive to the port as they're not restricted on luggage. We love a chance to dress up and in our experience if we sail from Southampton he takes the tux but we've stopped flying it. But celebrity aren't any stricter in our experience, it's more the people boarding and what they choose to bring

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We find that the British make a bit more effort when they can drive to the port as they're not restricted on luggage. We love a chance to dress up and in our experience if we sail from Southampton he takes the tux but we've stopped flying it. But celebrity aren't any stricter in our experience, it's more the people boarding and what they choose to bring

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with all you say: we were on Independence OTS a few years ago, and the first formal night had many women in long dresses, and men in full dinner jackets. We only noticed the difference because we were asked about this by some American cruisers, as to why there was so much dressing up...that's when we realised that these days plenty don't dress like that. But, yes, a crew member mentioned that they saw more dressing like that from Southampton.