Minor Guest Policy

chris4189

I have read carnival's minor guest policy, and I believe I understand it and just want to know if anyone has any experience with it.

My 20 year old son and his 19 year old girlfriend will be traveling with my his mother and I on our upcoming cruise. I have booked their cabin and they cross reference with our booking. Is there anything else I would need to show that I am temporary guardian for her? She has her passport card and is ready to travel.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

• The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.
  • The bookings must be cross-referenced with the relative or guardian’s stateroom and documented properly.

So I would need a letter of permission from her parents, even though she is 19 years old?

Here is what US customs says, talks about under 18, not older than 18.

Can a minor under 18 years of age travel to another country without their parents?

Minors may be able to travel to another country without either one of their parents. They may however require a notarized written consent letter from both parents. Minors interested in traveling without their parents should contact the embassy to address admissibility questions.

My rule of thumb is, best to be on the safe side. I live in Canada, in a province where 18 is the age of majority, but I know that majority varies from province to province and US state to US state. Interesting to know that US Customs sets the line at 18. And we're not even talking about overseas travel!

My sister travels with her much younger children. She always brings a letter from their father authorizing the trip. The one time it was requested, it was in our packed luggage. They made her go get it. There were extenuating circumstances that time (escaped prisoners from New York State) but I am naturally inclined to be quite terrified of Customs [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A letter from at least one of her parents granting permission for her to travel with you. This is also a Customs requirement. It is intended to deter cross-border kidnapping.

And how do you "kidnap" 19 year old?(as far as parental kidnapping goes)

Of course you don't need a consent letter...a 19 year old is an adult

And how do you "kidnap" 19 year old?(as far as parental kidnapping goes)

Of course you don't need a consent letter...a 19 year old is an adult

Also, I travel quite extensively with my 11 dd---never ever needed a letter from her father...we don't have the same last name either.

No need to be snarky. Adults can be kidnapped by people willing to use force or subterfuge to achieve their illicit end. 19 is not considered adulthood in all jurisdictions.

And so can 50 year olds....you are an adult at 18 and DO NOT need any letters.

If you've never brought a letter - you DO need one - you've been acting foolishly. Which probably explains your rudeness.

You do not need one, I have 3 kids in total...2 are now adults. I have never ever taken a letter..have never been asked for one and never will take one.

I am my DD's mother--she has a passport and I bring her birth certificate to show I am her mom (never been asked for that either).

What if the father is a deadbeat and not even in the picture? The mother never gets to travel with their child? Lets be real

No need to be snarky. Adults can be kidnapped by people willing to use force or subterfuge to achieve their illicit end. 19 is not considered adulthood in all jurisdictions.

Does an 18 year old need a letter from mommy or daddy to join the military? To vote? To move into an apt? No, of course not. 18 year olds go to college, move into dorms, travel overseas...all without "permission letters" from their parents

My DIL traveled to South Africa on a mission trip at 18 years old....all by herself--no letter from mom or dad. That was 7 years ago.

You are so wrong. So very wrong. Wrong on the law, wrong on the facts, and just plain wrong.

Well, that's telling me :) Lots of facts in that statement...but please...show me an official source that says a 19 year old needs parental permission to travel.

whether they will ask for documentation or not, if you go by carnival rules... you need a letter

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

Where minor guests can be booked in relation to relative or guardian:

• Guests 12 and younger
    If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 13 - 17 years of age
    Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 18 – 20 years of age
    Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

Exceptions: Guests under the age of 21 may travel without a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older under the following conditions:

• For both exceptions below, bookings should be carefully documented.
  • Documentation should be e-mailed prior to the cruise to DL-ResAdmin_Sailing_Coord@carnival.com or hand-carried to embarkation. Failure to provide documentation or not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided.

whether they will ask for documentation or not, if you go by carnival rules... you need a letter

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

Where minor guests can be booked in relation to relative or guardian:

• Guests 12 and younger
    If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 13 - 17 years of age
    Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 18 – 20 years of age
    Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

Exceptions: Guests under the age of 21 may travel without a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older under the following conditions:

• For both exceptions below, bookings should be carefully documented.

• Documentation should be e-mailed prior to the cruise to DL-ResAdmin_Sailing_Coord@carnival.com or hand-carried to embarkation. Failure to provide documentation or not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided.

The part in red is for booking, not for traveling with someone who is of age as far as Carnival's booking policy. Notice it says "without a relative or guardian". Nothing about BOTH PARENTS PERMISSION. The first paragraph is the only thing that is pertinent in this thread. No letter.

its under the category Traveling with a minor

where does it say its for bookings only? it says its the exception for TRAVELING not booking.

it doesnt state that its for booking only and its in the travbeling with a minor category so if you are right its the worst written documentation on the internet

breaking it down

GUESTS under the age of 21 may TRAVEL (*NOT BOOK) without a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older (like a boyfriends parents)

This is exactly whats happening with the OP. where do you see that this is booking only?

its under the category Traveling with a minor

where does it say its for bookings only? it says its the exception for TRAVELING not booking.

it doesnt state that its for booking only and its in the travbeling with a minor category so if you are right its the worst written documentation on the internet

I am 100% right. Because it's under the Booking section per your cut and paste after where they can be placed as far as rooms in relation to the people who are old enough to book a cruise which is 21. If there are people under 21, then they must travel with someone is 25 or older. This is to prevent underage drinking and such. If you are 18 or older you do not need BOTH (or even one) parent's permission to travel, just someone to responsible for you on the ship that is of proper age per CARNIVAL'S policy which has nothing to do with the Dept of Homeland Security. No letter.

it also states this at the top

MINOR GUEST POLICY

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided at embarkation.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

• The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.

The letter gives the boyfriends parents temporary guardianship

it also states this at the top

•  

•  

The letter gives the boyfriends parents temporary guardianship

They can't have guardianship of a 19 year old. Even her own parents don't. She is her own guardian as she is an adult. Notice it says it doesn't have to be legal. Just someone on the ship that is responsible for her which can be anyone. Her parents can't give someone custody of an adult child temporary or not.