BLU vs MRgluten free

VitaminSea53

title should be BLU vs MDR gluten free

I have Celiac and need 100% gluten free food. I hear that the MDR kitchen has a dedicated section for preparing gluten free items. I am considering Aqua Class and am concerned that the smaller BLU kitchen would not be able to offer the same protection.

Do any of you have recent experience (since Dine Aware) on this topic? We will be on a S Class ship (Solstice)

Thanks.

Edited by VitaminSea53
Posted accidentally

I traveled on the Summit a year ago and have Celiac. We ate in Blu/travelled Aqua class and I had no issues at all - the staff knew I was gluten-free the second day on the cruise without me saying anything and brought me gluten-free bread and butter with each meal and they did a chef's surprise gluten-free dessert for me on the days I didn't feel like creme brûlée. We were first time cruisers and I was terrified about the food piece and it wound up being one of the best parts of our trip. I've no experience eating in the Main Dining Room yet but Blu was great throughout the trip.

• 1 month later...
I traveled on the Summit a year ago and have Celiac. We ate in Blu/travelled Aqua class and I had no issues at all - the staff knew I was gluten-free the second day on the cruise without me saying anything and brought me gluten-free bread and butter with each meal and they did a chef's surprise gluten-free dessert for me on the days I didn't feel like creme brûlée. We were first time cruisers and I was terrified about the food piece and it wound up being one of the best parts of our trip. I've no experience eating in the Main Dining Room yet but Blu was great throughout the trip.[/quote

This is great to hear. I also need gluten-free and we just booked our first cruise with Celebrity on the Silhouette in an Aqua Class. I have been obsessing/worrying about Blu because I am also allergic to soy protein (not oil) and monosodium glutamate. I saw they make their caesar salad dressing with tofu...a no-no for me. Set off a chain reaction...then wondered if we have made wrong choice.

My question: How did you approach your food requirement with them? Did you do it before you boarded, or did you speak to manager of Blu once on ship? I'm afraid if I list soy as an allergy, it will be misunderstood and they will restrict all soy, when, in fact, anything with soy oil or soy lecithin is fine. And I figure they have gluten-free figured out. Hopefully MSG won't be an issue....

Thanks, Happy sailing, and bon appetite!

I traveled on the Summit a year ago and have Celiac. We ate in Blu/travelled Aqua class and I had no issues at all - the staff knew I was gluten-free the second day on the cruise without me saying anything and brought me gluten-free bread and butter with each meal and they did a chef's surprise gluten-free dessert for me on the days I didn't feel like creme brûlée. We were first time cruisers and I was terrified about the food piece and it wound up being one of the best parts of our trip. I've no experience eating in the Main Dining Room yet but Blu was great throughout the trip.[/quote

This is great to hear. I also need gluten-free and we just booked our first cruise with Celebrity on the Silhouette in an Aqua Class. I have been obsessing/worrying about Blu because I am also allergic to soy protein (not oil) and monosodium glutamate. I saw they make their caesar salad dressing with tofu...a no-no for me. Set off a chain reaction...then wondered if we have made wrong choice.

My question: How did you approach your food requirement with them? Did you do it before you boarded' date= or did you speak to manager of Blu once on ship? I'm afraid if I list soy as an allergy, it will be misunderstood and they will restrict all soy, when, in fact, anything with soy oil or soy lecithin is fine. And I figure they have gluten-free figured out. Hopefully MSG won't be an issue....

Thanks, Happy sailing, and bon appetite![/quote]

No matter what you choose, make sure you contact Special Services dept.

title should be BLU vs MDR gluten free

I have Celiac and need 100% gluten free food. I hear that the MDR kitchen has a dedicated section for preparing gluten free items. I am considering Aqua Class and am concerned that the smaller BLU kitchen would not be able to offer the same protection.

Do any of you have recent experience (since Dine Aware) on this topic? We will be on a S Class ship (Solstice)

Thanks.

My wife does not have celiac but has severe colitis and issues with soy and msg. We always go Aqua Class because the staff in Blu is so accommodating. Just tell the maitre'd on the first day orbetter yet, notify Celebrity before you go. Don't worry about the food issues at all. You will have a great time.